Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
It's not just one play though. Since the beginning of last season (sample size of 98 games) Benn is 20th in the whole league for the highest number of giveaways (Petry is 3rd and Alzner 18th). I'm not a fan of the giveaways statistic. It favors stay at home dmen not trying any offensive play and the way to compile it changes from arena to arena. The guy in Montreal is known to inflate this statistic a lot. Still it's abnormal to see guys like Alzner and Benn this high since they can hardly get 20 points. Pretty much all the other dmen up there in giveaways are "offensive" dmen doing at least around 25 points.

In the top 20 of giveaways since the beginning of last season only 4 dmen did not do 20 points last year. They are Jordie Benn, Karl Alzner, Nikita Zaitsev and Derek Forbort. Two of them are playing for us ...

And it's not just turnovers that have made him look dreadful. Seriously though, when Benn is given adequate assignments and does not try to do a single extra thing he can be quite effective. But when used like he's been used lately it's just a bad play after another. I just picked that one play because it was the cherry on the cake.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Any kid doing that turnover is back in the AHL the day after and spend the rest of the year in the AHL. No doubt in my mind.

That was not only a turnover but a stupid play. With 2 seconds left to the game don't try to be fancy just clear the zone. That turnover is WAY worse than the one Subban did against Colorado..

Absolutely, 10 times worse. The only think is Subban is a better player paid a ton of money and is held to a higher standard.

That being said, the Benn turnover was absolutely BRUTAL.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He's been okay this year. He was a lot better when his minutes were limited but some might have forgotten he was good at the start of the year. Anyway I still think Schlemko is better (not by a ton) but I hope the plan for the team to make Benn look like a good piece as a rental and trade him for a 3rd round pick. I don't think they are taking away ice time from other players or at the detriment of our prospects. I just hope they keep playing Reilly although CJ is not a fan.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I prefer Benn over Schlemko honestly. Benn might not bring anything offensively but he doesn't cause that many turnovers, Schlemko on the other hand is a turnover machine. He brings a little offense but creates so many turnovers that it is neglected.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I don't want to turn into one those board members who gets an unhealthy, negative obsession with a particular scapegoat in the side, but..........

FFS.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I prefer Benn over Schlemko honestly. Benn might not bring anything offensively but he doesn't cause that many turnovers, Schlemko on the other hand is a turnover machine. He brings a little offense but creates so many turnovers that it is neglected.
When Benn was on the 1st pairing he looked like a #6 being asked to play way above his ceiling

Now that he's back to where he should play he's looking like a #8

Schlemko is a#9

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You can tell by the way he plays with the puck right now that he feels good about himself.

Benn has been a tease ever since he came to this club though, so I'm no getting my hopes up of him sustaining this play.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's too soon to assume anything. Don't forget the guy is basically playing his life while the good players around the league for the most part are still just chilling (if people think we saw the best of Marchand/Pasternak yesterday or the best of Crosby/Malkin at the beginning of the season they are greatly mistaken). If it doesn't work he might be in Europe or ahl next season. He looked good for around 15 games after he was traded. Then he crapped the bed big time in playoffs.

If he keeps playing like that for 82 games + playoffs then it will be the time to throw some flowers. Right now it's way way way too soon.

He's still having a pretty good season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can tell by the way he plays with the puck right now that he feels good about himself.

Benn has been a tease ever since he came to this club though, so I'm no getting my hopes up of him sustaining this play.

confidence is so key. Hopefully he, Reilly, Kulak, and Mete can gain and keep their confidence.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I can't stand Benn but I have to say he's been very good lately. If he keeps playing like this I'm gonna have to find a new scapegoat. It'll probably be Reilly...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Benn is a very useful dman. He's been the Habs most consistent LD this year. People hate on him for some reason but he's a solid dman on a good contract.

I guess you did not watch the last season and the playoffs of 2017.

I love how in Montreal 44 good games can totally erase 83 awful games from the playoffs of 2017 to the end of last season.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I guess you did not watch the last season and the playoffs of 2017.

I love how in Montreal 44 good games can totally erase 83 awful games from the playoffs of 2017 to the end of last season.

He had a rough start last year for sure but he was much better the second half. I always thought you guys were whining about nothing over Jordie Benn - he's a good enough 4-6 dman and he's got a lot of jam.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
All our defenseman are trash but I always thought he stood out from the other garbages. It's hard to notice him but he was slightly better than the other D's Truth be told, he's a serviceable bottom pairing D.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm absolutely fine with him as long as he's on the bottom pairing. He's been effective in that role.

When he's been moved up he's an absolute disaster.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm absolutely fine with him as long as he's on the bottom pairing. He's been effective in that role.

When he's been moved up he's an absolute disaster.

Play him on the right side of the third pairing, he will get decent results, then trade him at the decline for hopefully a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad