Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I think it's time Jordie Benn has his own thread.

How impressive has he been since being traded to Montreal?

There a couple of things I really like about him so far: he's got poise and he doesn't treat the puck like a hot potato, and he's actually a pretty impressive skater given his size and position

As far as I'm concerned, Jordie Benn has totally solidified that 3rd pairing. In fact, to be honest, he doesn't look like a #6th defenseman right now. He looks like a #4.

Last edited:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I'm loving him, beard and all. I also like what he said about being his own person, not just being the brother.

Go Jordy Go! Thanks for being patient with Beaulieu. Teach him some good things please.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
It's been two games, but from what I've seen:

- I like his composure with the puck in the defensive zone. Always seems to make the right decision and keeps things simple.

- Seems to be pretty good at gap control and when the opponent dumps it in, Benn is good at using body position to make it difficult for the opponent to skate around him. Even though he's not the fastest guy, he doesn't often get beat to a puck in the corner.

- Good shot blocker and PK'er. Gives Markov a break from PK work if he can play the PK with Weber.

Overall, he's like a bigger, better Gorges at 1/4 of the cost. So far I'm pleased.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A while back I posted in the Pateryn thread (before his trade) saying he was an average, if not below average, bottom pairing defenceman. I got called out to explain what I meant as it apparently makes no sense, but I think the performance of Jordie Benn shows what a good bottom pairing defenceman is.

People liked Pateryn and felt he deserved more of a shot. I thought he had very questionable decision making with the puck and wasn't the best skater. Benn gives the Habs 3 solid pairings. No longer do we wince when we see Johnston and Barberio on the ice. Think of how simple and important it is to be able to trust any pairing in any situation.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Lol I was talking to my friends last week and we said he was solid and reminded us of Gorges. Love the acquisition, hopefully he can keep it up.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lol I was talking to my friends last week and we said he was solid and reminded us of Gorges. Love the acquisition, hopefully he can keep it up.

He's pretty much Gorges 2.0 with a slightly bigger frame and more sand paper.

He'll help you on a 3rd pairing if you pay him under 2 millions. If you start hyping him too much like some are doing right now and start thinking he can be a top 4 and pay him accordingly then it'll end like it did for Gorges.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Plays a good positional game , make good quick decisions with the puck. I hope the habs can keep him this summer.

Fear the beard.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Amazing addition. His puck moving skills are far better than what was sold to us and he makes all the simple plays required. I can't believe the gap between him and Pateryn was a 4th round pick. What a steal.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Amazing addition. His puck moving skills are far better than what was sold to us and he makes all the simple plays required. I can't believe the gap between him and Pateryn was a 4th round pick. What a steal.

As I suggested at the time, a 4th round pick didn't seem out of line in terms of the difference of over 200 games experience and development in the difference. And don't be fooled, 200 games ago Jordie Benn was barely worth what Pateryn is now, let alone with a 4th rounder tacked on top.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The sort of obvious answer is that they weren't going to protect him, and thought they risked losing him for nothing at expansion.

Bill said that was why he traded him but I sincerely still don't know why he'd make that trade. Is having a lesser D who you know won't be good enough to lose worth losing a better D in Benn for a 4th at the possibility he'll be taken over 30 other D?

I'd have kept him but that their loss and our gain! Guys been solid. Not only is he the 3rd pair anchor but his calmness with the puck seems to have settled Beau as well.

Best trade for us this year so far. Thanks Mrs. Pateryn!

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he said to Beaulieu to do his thing and he'll be there to back him up?

I don't remember who said it but if he actually said that, awesome!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's been two games, but from what I've seen:

- I like his composure with the puck in the defensive zone. Always seems to make the right decision and keeps things simple.

- Seems to be pretty good at gap control and when the opponent dumps it in, Benn is good at using body position to make it difficult for the opponent to skate around him. Even though he's not the fastest guy, he doesn't often get beat to a puck in the corner.

- Good shot blocker and PK'er. Gives Markov a break from PK work if he can play the PK with Weber.

Overall, he's like a bigger, better Gorges at 1/4 of the cost. So far I'm pleased.

To me, more like a Hal Gill, only he can skate and actually hits instead of just wrapping is arms around opponents. So, nothing like Hal Gill, actually ;)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Except he makes a third of the money and then some, and, he adds a physical edge which Gorges didn't...

Amazing reading the first page of this thread and the first page of his traded for Pateryn thread......you can weed out the posters that are objective and the ones that are full of ****.....

skipp18

Oct 18, 2006
Montreal
A while back I posted in the Pateryn thread (before his trade) saying he was an average, if not below average, bottom pairing defenceman. I got called out to explain what I meant as it apparently makes no sense, but I think the performance of Jordie Benn shows what a good bottom pairing defenceman is.

People liked Pateryn and felt he deserved more of a shot. I thought he had very questionable decision making with the puck and wasn't the best skater. Benn gives the Habs 3 solid pairings. No longer do we wince when we see Johnston and Barberio on the ice. Think of how simple and important it is to be able to trust any pairing in any situation.

The members of this community ALWAYS over value our own players and prospects.
There was a huge outcry on this board when we unloaded guys like Diaz (remember him) and Sekac.
According to some Sekac was supposed to solve all of our scoring problems. He's not even in the NHL anymore.

Patteryn was a 6-7 D-man at best, borderline NHLer. Benn is an NHLer.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
He's pretty much Gorges 2.0 with a slightly bigger frame and more sand paper.

He'll help you on a 3rd pairing if you pay him under 2 millions. If you start hyping him too much like some are doing right now and start thinking he can be a top 4 and pay him accordingly then it'll end like it did for Gorges.

I understand the Gorges comparison, but from what I've seen of Benn (in Montreal and in Dallas) the difference in his game is that, unlike Gorges, he has the puck skills and agility to start a breakout consistently. I loved Gorges, but the guy was basically a walking, breathing argument in favor of advanced stats.

Julien has highlighted the habs need for a controlled breakout (he called it a soft dump...and, well, im not about to start saying that). Having 6 dmen in the lineup (well 5 and Emelin) who can make poised breakout passes will be a huge asset.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Super soft on that Kreider goal the other night. But then he scored a goal himself, so I guess it nets out.

Looking better than I expected, at least. Let's hope he can keep it up.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
He brings experience and a willingness to play as needed. No shortcut in his game, no none sense. Predictible and steady which is what you need for a no. 6 D

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They were going to lose him in the expansion draft, so they feel as though they might as well get something for him while they still could.

The good thing about collecting so many players that might get claimed in the draft is that not all of them will now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad