Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

I agree. And we like Benn's contract but for LV it might be too cheap.

Whats legal at expansion though? Can LV take Beau and trade him back to the habs for a 2nd and Pleks with cap retained? Or MB tells them to take Mitchel and we send them a 2nd + prospect or something.

You want to give them a second round pick + Plekanec and retain salary on top of it? Come on man, I understand he's a little overpaid but I would rather keep him at this point...

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Bergevin has to somehow find a way to keep everyone
(Benn, Beaulieu, Hudon, and even Pleks since we have no one to replace his defensive minutes vs top forwards).

And, I'm not a fan of Emelin and his $4.1mil/yr, but maybe he's the one who has to go, but not sure LV will want him, unless he keeps it simple/smart defensively in playoffs (I won't hold my breath!) and raises his value. Maybe Bergevin pays 1/2 of his salary for LV to take him?,etc. We have many to pay soon (Price, Galchenyuk, Markov if he's not greedy, Danault,etc)...Emelin's $4.1mil/yr salary would have to go.

Hopefully Bergevin can make a deal with Vegas before they make a decision/selection?

Would LV take a 2nd from us to leave our players alone?!!
(or they have to at least take ONE player from us?).

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Bergevin has to somehow find a way to keep everyone
(Benn, Beaulieu, Hudon, and even Pleks since we have no one to replace his defensive minutes vs top forwards).

And, I'm not a fan of Emelin and his $4.1mil/yr, but maybe he's the one who has to go, but not sure LV will want him, unless he keeps it simple/smart defensively in playoffs (I won't hold my breath!) and raises his value. Maybe Bergevin pays 1/2 of his salary for LV to take him?,etc. We have many to pay soon (Price, Galchenyuk, Markov if he's not greedy, Danault,etc)...Emelin's $4.1mil/yr salary would have to go.

Hopefully Bergevin can make a deal with Vegas before they make a decision/selection?

Would LV take a 2nd from us to leave our players alone?!!
(or they have to at least take ONE player from us?).

LV must take one and one only from each team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You want to give them a second round pick + Plekanec and retain salary on top of it? Come on man, I understand he's a little overpaid but I would rather keep him at this point...

In exchange for them not taking benn or beau or any other player.

Just wondering if those types of deals are legal.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

This is something that Friedman brought up a couple of days ago:

Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

So yeah, I guess a lot of things could be expected...

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

Yes, they were anyway. Years ago, Montreal traded a late round draft pick to an expansion team so they would not draft a particular player from us. Forget details, an too lazy to research it, but it happened.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Mike Weaver looked great for a short time after we acquired him also. Re-signed him and he stunk

True, but Mike Weaver was also 37 when he was in that 1 year extension.

Benn has played well. Hopefully that continues. I wouldn't be surprised if he regresses a little bit from his current play, but that would be normal. He is playing some real solid hockey.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why vegas would take Benn. What does it accomplish for them? How does it help them in the grand scheme of things. Dallas main problem is defense and goalies and Benn was part of that defense. He's a good depth guy. On a good team he'll play a role. But i don't see what he brings to an expansion team. Vegas will have average defense and goalie at best and Benn will be exposed a lot more than he is here. Our defense on paper is way better than some people around here think. We just had a terrible defensive system.

I still can't see why vegas would draft a 30 years old 3rd pairing dman with only 300 games of experience who's under contract for the next 2 years and did not have much trade value at the deadline this year. I just don't see it. Why would they? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If i'm Vegas GM i'm going for either "kids" with untapped potential (mid 20ies max) or proven vets with lot of experience (and value at one of the 2 upcoming deadlines). I'm taking a chance with Davidson before Benn. If Beaulieu is available he is the very very obvious choice. Emelin and or Plekanec could even be interesting if they are not protected. There's just one year remaining to their contract and they will have value at the next deadline. If you're lucky and Plekanec has a good season he could fetch a 1st without any trouble. Emelin will fetch a 2nd or at worst 3rd i'm almost sure he will based on reputation alone (whatever that reputation is deserved or not it doesn't really matter).

I like Benn and i think he is a good acquisition. But as usual i also think people are way too quick to put him on a pedestal. He's not the first nor the last. The list is long.

If he continues to play like that next year then awesome. Good for us. But i doubt Vegas will evaluate him on that small sample size only. Considering what we paid for him (4th and almost 27 years old 7th dman) it's pretty obvious NHL GMs did not think he could help much for a playoffs run. Even if teams could not protect him if their GM think Benn can help a lot in playoffs he fetch a 2nd minimum. GMs have no trouble paying a 2nd for a rental if they believe it can makes the difference in a playoffs run. Obviously GMs did not see Benn as this guy. And i would be very surprised if Vegas sees him differently just because he was solid for us for around 25 games.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Benn is playing a solid game and I believe that he is helping CJ to spread the defensive minutes around and keeping everyone fresher as we go longer into games and he has been a pleasant surprise to everyone. Therrien would never play him in a game in favor of Emelin.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I wish that Benn could turn out to be someone like Harmlik.

Hamrlik was a very talented player and while he was past his prime when he came to Montreal, still was a very good 3rd defender.

Benn is...better than I thought so far but I wouldn't get too excited about him. So far he looks worth keeping around though.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Benn reminds me a lot of a prime Gorges when he was the the Habs. Same offensive numbers , same defensive first type guys , big heart , stick up for teammates , block shots , some leadership qualities etc

Very similar players imho

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Benn reminds me a lot of a prime Gorges when he was the the Habs. Same offensive numbers , same defensive first type guys , big heart , stick up for teammates , block shots , some leadership qualities etc

Benn is more poised and stronger though.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't think I remember a defenseman who'd get steamrolled as much as Gorges did when getting the puck in the corners. Here we go RED!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Benn is so much better than Gorges it is not even comparable.

Gorges is one of the worst defender i have witnessed playing for the habs.

What a ****ing fake warrior screamer shot blocker.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal

That's a little much no? Gorges was a good defenceman for us for a while. Only problem with him was his contract and that he started thinking he was actually a top pairing defenceman. Montreal does that to players though.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why vegas would take Benn. What does it accomplish for them? How does it help them in the grand scheme of things. Dallas main problem is defense and goalies and Benn was part of that defense. He's a good depth guy. On a good team he'll play a role. But i don't see what he brings to an expansion team. Vegas will have average defense and goalie at best and Benn will be exposed a lot more than he is here. Our defense on paper is way better than some people around here think. We just had a terrible defensive system.

I still can't see why vegas would draft a 30 years old 3rd pairing dman with only 300 games of experience who's under contract for the next 2 years and did not have much trade value at the deadline this year. I just don't see it. Why would they? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If i'm Vegas GM i'm going for either "kids" with untapped potential (mid 20ies max) or proven vets with lot of experience (and value at one of the 2 upcoming deadlines). I'm taking a chance with Davidson before Benn. If Beaulieu is available he is the very very obvious choice. Emelin and or Plekanec could even be interesting if they are not protected. There's just one year remaining to their contract and they will have value at the next deadline. If you're lucky and Plekanec has a good season he could fetch a 1st without any trouble. Emelin will fetch a 2nd or at worst 3rd i'm almost sure he will based on reputation alone (whatever that reputation is deserved or not it doesn't really matter).

I like Benn and i think he is a good acquisition. But as usual i also think people are way too quick to put him on a pedestal.
He's not the first nor the last. The list is long.

If he continues to play like that next year then awesome. Good for us. But i doubt Vegas will evaluate him on that small sample size only. Considering what we paid for him (4th and almost 27 years old 7th dman) it's pretty obvious NHL GMs did not think he could help much for a playoffs run. Even if teams could not protect him if their GM think Benn can help a lot in playoffs he fetch a 2nd minimum. GMs have no trouble paying a 2nd for a rental if they believe it can makes the difference in a playoffs run. Obviously GMs did not see Benn as this guy. And i would be very surprised if Vegas sees him differently just because he was solid for us for around 25 games.
I agree:
Beaulieu with three years as a RFA > old Plekanec and old Emelin (both on one year contracts).
Add your comment that Plek could fetch at worst a 2nd as a rental.
Then Emelin could fetch at least a 3rd as a rental.

As for Benn, we got him for Pateryn who will be UFA and played only 4 games in Dallas + 4th round pick.
So basically, we got two years of Benn for a 4th round pick.

Market value tells us that:
Beaulieu > Plekanec > Emelin > Benn.

In three years, we will be very happy to have a LHD who can score 30-40 points.
Only 57 d-men with 30 points last year and about 27 d-men with 40+ points.

With Markov in line to retire in the next two years (maybe), we have Beaulieu, Sergachev and Mete who can play LHD.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
That's a little much no? Gorges was a good defenceman for us for a while. Only problem with him was his contract and that he started thinking he was actually a top pairing defenceman. Montreal does that to players though.
Gorges was better than Emelin ever will be in defense.
He got 3.9M after a 16 points season (Best season).

Emelin hits pretty hard but his defense is below Gorges.
He got 4.1M after a 17 points season (best season).

To me this is the cost for these 2nd/3rd line experienced d-men.

You also have to look at the line-up when those contracts were signed.
Back then, we had Subban and Gorges. There was Weaver/Diaz/Weber/Drewiske also.
As for Emelin, we had Markov and Emelin. There was also Tinordi/Bouillon.
There was also a year of 40 year old Gonchar.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I don't think I remember a defenseman who'd get steamrolled as much as Gorges did when getting the puck in the corners. Here we go RED!

When he first came in at 22 years old....yes he was getting pushed around a lot and it lasted a couple of years. He was frail and lacked strength. But then he started getting bigger and stronger and began to hold his own in board/corner/physical plays. When he came in he was 175-180lbs i think. He pumped up to 200lbs and was handling physicality much better after that. He wasn't that bad. Hell he even fought Frazer McLaren :laugh:

Gorges was a fine warrior and a decent top #4-6 during his prime. Yes Benn is stronger physically but aside from that their play is very similar. They bring much of the same to the table imho Only problem with Gorges is that he was overpaid for what he contributed. Much like Emelin is now and Benn would be if he was paid 3.75m.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Benn seems better on the breakout. All Gorges could ever do was chip it off the glass/boards, our transition was non-existent.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Nah man, he was solid stay at home defenseman. He declined.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

What!!?

:laugh:

Maybe you're thinking of George Laraque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad