Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
After pre-season, I was at the point where I would've just waived him. However a lot of credit to Benn for this start, he had an awful year last year and has definitely turned it around so far. Hopefully he keeps it up and once Weber/Schlemko come back we can flip him for a pick.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After pre-season, I was at the point where I would've just waived him. However a lot of credit to Benn for this start, he had an awful year last year and has definitely turned it around so far. Hopefully he keeps it up and once Weber/Schlemko come back we can flip him for a pick.

I agree. The Benn I see so far this season reminds me of the Benn they picked up at the 2017 trade deadline.

The beauty of this is that he's bringing his value up for a potential trade. Being on the final year and only at $1.1M is just perfect for any team seeking depth for a playoff push.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has been solid in a bottom pairing role and killing penalties. A great TDL piece

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
That's the type of thinking responsible for us being a losing team for the last 25 years. Jorden Benn has been god damn awful for the last season and the playoffs of the previous season. Yet 10 good games is apparently enough to erase all that.

If you chose Benn over Mete you're doing it wrong.

"Doing it wrong" is thinking you need to "choose" to make an assessment. It's the simple truth that Benn has been solid, and better than some of the other defensemen including Mete.

That's not really controversial, and good news for the Habs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Everytime he plays more than bottom pairing minutes he struggles a lot. Hes looked great on the bottom pair though. I think its optimistic to think we can get a 3rd for him(kind of like Mike Weber) but he should be able to get a 4th.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Benn is our worst dman, and yet seems to always be on the ice. Really hope MB can trade him or at least has the guts to bench him or send him down. The guy is terrible.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Benn is clearly Julien's biggest blind spot. The one guy who can do whatever he wants, make multiple mistakes a shift and never loses ice time. To everyone else, it's painfully obvious he's the guy who has to go, but I see no evidence Julien is even remotely considering that.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's shown here he can be a decent 3rd pairing guy playing 16 minutes a game, when he plays more than that and in our top 4 it is just a disaster.. given guys like Reilly, Mete and Ouellet have been scratched hopefully he's the next one sitting.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Benn is clearly Julien's biggest blind spot. The one guy who can do whatever he wants, make multiple mistakes a shift and never loses ice time. To everyone else, it's painfully obvious he's the guy who has to go, but I see no evidence Julien is even remotely considering that.

Like I said in the PGT a few minutes ago:

Gotta love Julien's coaching strategies. Got the last change? Play #8 VS #8. Keeping it sample :sarcasm:

Reactions: LaP and Tim Wallach

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Benn was actually not that bad for a good stretch of games to start the season but lately, he's brutal... Clearly playing way too many minutes...

Reactions: Tim Wallach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That was the problem. Only 5 healthy D for most of the game, and you are exposing the weaknesses of a guy who should never, ever play more than 16-17 minutes a game on a bottom pairing.

Mete-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Reilly-Juulsen

extras: Benn, Ouellett, Alzner (waived)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
That turnover last night with two seconds left in the clock... One of the ugliest things I've seen in my life.

giphy.gif

I think it captures...the essence of Benn perfectly

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Im sick of jordie benn after watching that play i wonder what we see in him

Shlemko is also bad

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That turnover last night with two seconds left in the clock... One of the ugliest things I've seen in my life.

Any kid doing that turnover is back in the AHL the day after and spend the rest of the year in the AHL. No doubt in my mind.

That was not only a turnover but a stupid play. With 2 seconds left to the game don't try to be fancy just clear the zone. That turnover is WAY worse than the one Subban did against Colorado.

The team played well and deserved to get a point but Benn on this play did not deserve to be saved by Price.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Any kid doing that turnover is back in the AHL the day after and spend the rest of the year in the AHL. No doubt in my mind.

That was not only a turnover but a stupid play. With 2 seconds left to the game don't try to be fancy just clear the zone. That turnover is WAY worse than the one Subban did against Colorado.

The team played well and deserved to get a point but Benn on this play did not deserve to be saved by Price. Ovy scores on a play like that 90% of the time.

Agreed. There was probably not even enough time to ice the puck so I can't possibly understand what the hell he was holding onto that puck for. Yes, it's just one play but without Price saving his butt that one play directly costs us a point.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

The team played well and deserved to get a point but Benn on this play did not deserve to be saved by Price.

Benn was easily the worst player on the ice last night. On 2 Washington goals, he ends up with his back to the eventual scorer. While playing a net-front role.

He also took an unnecessary penalty, on the PK, that gave the Caps a 5 on 3 - and an easy goal for Ovechkin.

Then he nearly loses the game for us with, literally, less than 5 seconds left to go. Instead of just clearing the puck off the glass like he is paid to do.

But of course, some people are still on the kool-aid: "I don't want to question Benn's usage," and "He's easily been our 2nd best D this year." LOL

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agreed. There was probably not even enough time to ice the puck so I can't possibly understand what the hell he was holding onto that puck for. Yes, it's just one play but without Price saving his butt that one play directly costs us a point.

It's not just one play though. Since the beginning of last season (sample size of 98 games) Benn is 20th in the whole league for the highest number of giveaways (Petry is 3rd and Alzner 18th). I'm not a fan of the giveaways statistic. It favors stay at home dmen not trying any offensive play and the way to compile it changes from arena to arena. The guy in Montreal is known to inflate this statistic a lot. Still it's abnormal to see guys like Alzner and Benn this high since they can hardly get 20 points. Pretty much all the other dmen up there in giveaways are "offensive" dmen doing at least around 25 points.

In the top 20 of giveaways since the beginning of last season only 4 dmen did not do 20 points last year. They are Jordie Benn, Karl Alzner, Nikita Zaitsev and Derek Forbort. Two of them are playing for us ...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Proves you don't have to be able to skate, or have hockey sense, to make the blueline on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad