Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I really don't see a lot of similarities between Coyle and Greenway, other than inconsistency in their games.

Coyle had the body of a power forward but mindset of a perimeter, playmaking, finesse forward. He just could get that yin and yang to meld very often or for very long, but when it did he was the best player on the Wild. He also had more natural skill than Greenway.

Greenway has the body of a forward and plays that way, just not well all the time. Bang along the walls, drive the net, screen the goalie, and get rebounds is what Greenway does. I do think a big part of that is he's learning the NHL game and the limits of his ability and size.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh, and one thing that Greenway does well, and is unappreciated for, is screening the goalie in front of the net. There has been at least 3 goals this year that i can recall when he had his big body in front of the net, completely screening the goalie, who let in a pretty otherwise ordinary shot. It won't show up on the scoresheet, but with Greenway's size and willingness to absorb punishment made those goals happen.

Puck skills are great, and ignoring size in favor of skill can work, but to ignore size and strength on a team is as big of a mistake as completely ignoring puck skills. A good team/line, has a combo of both speed, skill, and strength/size.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
I’m kinda excited to see how he responds this season. Glad we shipped out Kunin and not him. Greenway still has unfulfilled potential and a higher ceiling. Gotta be more patient with the big guys.

Reactions: Hamms Mann

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
I’m kinda excited to see how he responds this season. Glad we shipped out Kunin and not him. Greenway still has unfulfilled potential and a higher ceiling. Gotta be more patient with the big guys.
Pretty much sums up my opinion. Bring the bulldozer every night and all will be alright.

milesfj

Jul 15, 2020
i like greenway a lot. i like the way he gets in people's face, gets them all riled up and then smiles at them. it makes me laugh

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Greenway is a beast down low in the offensive zone. Very hard to knock of the puck. I predict a breakout year from Greenway. Much Like Ek he is going to play a bigger role this year. He won't score a lot on line rushes, he will score on rebounds and garbage in front of the net. The kid has a ton of skill and will see the ice a lot more this year. As anyone who has played the game knows you don't get better sitting on the bench.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005

I’m not expecting much change from Greenway, but here’s to hoping I’m wrong!

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Greenway has always seemed to start out slow when moving up leagues.

This season we should see who he's really going to be. If he ends up being a special player we are going to absolutely have to trade Dumba or figure out how to get rid of Zuccarello or Parise to keep him in the draft.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I hope Guerin told him to work on his core strength and how to use his hips better. He seems to play the game with shoulders and arms, which has him getting taken out of the play way more than he should.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The way the Wild fans talk about Greenway you would think he was the worst player in the league last year. Which FYI he wasn’t he has better underlying numbers than Kunin for those of you wonder why he was traded instead.

Reactions: Bazeek and 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The way the Wild fans talk about Greenway you would think he was the worst player in the league last year. Which FYI he wasn’t he has better underlying numbers than Kunin for those of you wonder why he was traded instead.
Greenway is a lot like Charlie Coyle in that you can really tell who understands the game by their opinions about that player.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think with expansion looming it’s more acceptance that Greenway will either be traded or exposed. He’s really the only significant player left to be exposed in a 4+4 scenario. Though Talbot might make Seattle’s choice interesting if he has a monster season and BG protects Kahkonen.

I don’t buy that Kunin’s underlying numbers were the reason he was traded. Those could easily improve and Kunin was only 22. I said it before, but I think Kunin was traded because:

- 4+4 expansion
- he got two draft picks and a player who is currently better and hopefully pulls a 1st at the TDL
- his skating isn’t that great

The only way I see Greenway staying is if Dumba or Parise/Zucc is/are traded.

Reactions: 57special

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think with expansion looming it’s more acceptance that Greenway will either be traded or exposed. He’s really the only significant player left to be exposed in a 4+4 scenario. Though Talbot might make Seattle’s choice interesting if he has a monster season and BG protects Kahkonen.

I don’t buy that Kunin’s underlying numbers were the reason he was traded. Those could easily improve and Kunin was only 22. I said it before, but I think Kunin was traded because:

- 4+4 expansion
- he got two draft picks and a player who is currently better and hopefully pulls a 1st at the TDL
- his skating isn’t that great

The only way I see Greenway staying is if Dumba or Parise/Zucc is/are traded.
It'll be an interesting choice if this roster is more or less what we go into the Seattle expansion with. Unless I'm wrong it'd mostly come down to Greenway vs Soucy, both young(-ish) players that had good years and could take a strong step forward next year. Greenway's three years younger, but with the way forwards and defensemen develop I tend to view them as closer in effective age than they appear. If they both have strong years it might come down to what Seattle's selection of defensemen looks like.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
It'll be an interesting choice if this roster is more or less what we go into the Seattle expansion with. Unless I'm wrong it'd mostly come down to Greenway vs Soucy, both young(-ish) players that had good years and could take a strong step forward next year. Greenway's three years younger, but with the way forwards and defensemen develop I tend to view them as closer in effective age than they appear. If they both have strong years it might come down to what Seattle's selection of defensemen looks like.

Unless the Wild ask Parise/Zucc to waive the NMC because no team in their right minds would take those contracts for free and we protect both and leave them to pick nobody.

Guerin is playing this upcoming draft like an absolute genius and deserves at least 3 years of leeway for it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Unless the Wild ask Parise/Zucc to waive the NMC because no team in their right minds would take those contracts for free and we protect both and leave them to pick nobody.

Guerin is playing this upcoming draft like an absolute genius and deserves at least 3 years of leeway for it.
Guerin is an absolute genius for trading Luke Kunin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad