Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Figured the mourning period after the loss last night would have been a bit longer than 9am the following day, but the guy wants to get down to business. Loving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Minnesota

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
It would be fun if he can be one of those late season college signings that comes in and makes a splash. He seems to be playing with much more confidence since he came back from the Olympics.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think he's ready for the NHL. Excited about his future, though.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I would assume he plugs right into Mitchell's spot on Cullen's line if he starts Tuesday. I could see some hesitation throwing him into the top 9 but it's not like he could be much less effective than Ennis or Mitchell so why not give him a shot?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think he's ready for the NHL. Excited about his future, though.

100%.

I think he'll benefit from not playing center. It speaks to his high 'hockey iq' that could pull it off to that extent, but he often looked a step or two behind to me, even though his skating appears smoother than it did a couple of years ago. Still, I also just watched him get knocked off the puck by Spurgeon-sized teen Quinn Hughes. You see descriptors like "physically dominant," well I don't think he's there yet. His vision was a notable strength in years past, but playing center took some of that away (losing Keller and Harper didn't help either).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Figured the mourning period after the loss last night would have been a bit longer than 9am the following day, but the guy wants to get down to business. Loving it.

Russo said he would take the night and then sign quickly. A day or two at the most. Russo was right on the money.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would assume he plugs right into Mitchell's spot on Cullen's line if he starts Tuesday. I could see some hesitation throwing him into the top 9 but it's not like he could be much less effective than Ennis or Mitchell so why not give him a shot?
If anything, he probably should go on to the fourth line for a little taste if the NHL, though I hate to break them up( sounds weird, I know). They were borderline dominant at times the past couple of games.

I think Mitchell deserves a bit more TOI before he is benched again.

Just give Greenway a taste of the NHL, then send him down to work on his game. If he surprises, and ends up being productive up here, then all the better.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Personally, I think people over-estimate the jump for high end players. He's probably ready to make a difference in the NHL similar to how Kreider was for the Rangers.

Short of the Wild getting bounced, with Iowa still in the playoffs this year. I'll be surprised if he's ever in the AHL.

Reactions: 2Pair

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Problem is his defense is no-where near NHL-caliber and the quickness* [edit - accidentally typed "size" before] of the NHL is shocking for guys that need a few strides to get up to full speed. Does BB toss him up with guys like Koivu and Granlund so Greenway can be protected but given some offensive chances. And then BB can create a more defensive 3rd line of Parise, Coyle, and Cullen/maybe JEE?

Or just 4th line, give him a taste and let him know how much work he is going to have to put in this off-season.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Greenway was never dominant at the college level, right? I just feel like for him to come in and make a big impact in the first year or two, you would have liked to have seen a little more production in the NCAA.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Greenway was never dominant at the college level, right? I just feel like for him to come in and make a big impact in the first year or two, you would have liked to have seen a little more production in the NCAA.

Not dominant at the level of a Kyle Connor, Johnny Gaudreau, a Brett Hull or a Zach Parise or a Ryan Donato. But I think if we put the outer marker for this player somewhere near a Charlie Coyle, that's a reasonable expectation. A middle-six forward who can put up a few points at evens and score on the power play a variety of ways. A player who can ultimately replace Coyle if the choice (Russo mentions his name in rumors) is to trade #3 for futures (a center like JFK + ?) and take some cap savings.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I doubt he produces a lot this season or next. Maybe never really becomes a hugely productive guy. But I also don't think you can really evaluate a big guy playing a big guy game on his NCAA production. It's not like Coyle did any better at BU. I think he'll be what we were hoping Foligno would be. A guy who uses his size to win battles and possess the puck, is solid defensively and good in front of the net.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Generally that's the case, but not always.

Chris Kreider scored at an .807 p/g clip in college (1.02 p/g his junior year), compared to Greenway's .821 p/g (.972 p/g his junior year) pace. Almost identical college numbers, and Kreider came in right away and was a lightning rod for NYR in the playoffs that year.

By all indications, Greenway has been playing pretty well since coming back from the Olympics (8 GP, 4-6-10p). I'll be interested to see how he looks, I'm certainly not counting him out to come in and be a meaningful contributor. If only due to the fact that he's in a zone and playing good hockey right now. Kreider was that way, came in hot, lit it up for the Rangers in the playoffs, but then spent the majority of the next year in the AHL.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Greenway is big enough and skates well enough to *mostly* float, not sink in the NHL game. But, I wouldn't look to him to put up any big points or difference. But you never know with these guys sometimes, effort and determination to prove themselves can really help a player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not expecting much from Greenway for the rest of this season. I'm willing to give him a chance, but I'm doubtful he'll even be a better option than Ennis (speaking for only the rest of this season).

The speed of the NHL is so much faster than college/Olympics (B-squad). His size won't be the same advantage for him that it has been coming up through the ranks. Trying to learning a new system and develop chemistry with new teammates on the fly is hard for some seasoned NHL vets when they are traded at the TDL.

I sincerely hope that I'm underestimating him, I just think he needs a AHL time.

I'm glad the Wild signed him and he didn't decide to go back to school next season.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Not dominant at the level of a Kyle Connor, Johnny Gaudreau, a Brett Hull or a Zach Parise or a Ryan Donato. But I think if we put the outer marker for this player somewhere near a Charlie Coyle, that's a reasonable expectation. A middle-six forward who can put up a few points at evens and score on the power play a variety of ways. A player who can ultimately replace Coyle if the choice (Russo mentions his name in rumors) is to trade #3 for futures (a center like JFK + ?) and take some cap savings.

Yeah, I mean, that's certainly what I would expect in the long run. I think Coyle is a pretty fair comparison. I just don't expect him to come in and make a difference either this year or next, that's what I was getting at.

It's not like Coyle did any better at BU. I think he'll be what we were hoping Foligno would be. A guy who uses his size to win battles and possess the puck, is solid defensively and good in front of the net.

True, Coyle never put up great numbers either in college.

Generally that's the case, but not always.

Chris Kreider scored at an .807 p/g clip in college (1.02 p/g his junior year), compared to Greenway's .821 p/g (.972 p/g his junior year) pace. Almost identical college numbers, and Kreider came in right away and was a lightning rod for NYR in the playoffs that year.

By all indications, Greenway has been playing pretty well since coming back from the Olympics (8 GP, 4-6-10p). I'll be interested to see how he looks, I'm certainly not counting him out to come in and be a meaningful contributor. If only due to the fact that he's in a zone and playing good hockey right now. Kreider was that way, came in hot, lit it up for the Rangers in the playoffs, but then spent the majority of the next year in the AHL.

Interesting, thanks, I was wondering if there were any big names that came in and sparked a team like that. Hopefully Greenway follows suit.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kreider is much faster than Greenway. Greenway's deal is that he is huge, and will be a handful in front of the net and along the boards. Also has pretty good vision.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kreider is much faster than Greenway. Greenway's deal is that he is huge, and will be a handful in front of the net and along the boards. Also has pretty good vision.

I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing where he fits right now. The net front game is something the Wild don't use very often. The cycle down low a lot, but the F3 is usually in the high slot. The FWDs will crash the crease, but they don't stay there long (Foligno and Parise do at times).

Even on the PP they don't plant someone netfront to take the goalie's eyes away. It annoys me a lot during the rare 5v3 PPs. Dumba is the only pure shooter on the backend, so I understand (not that I'm a fan) the normal PP setup they use.

I'm not sure how good (yet to be seen, for a better phrase?) Greenway will be at winning puck battles 1v1. His size indicates he should be good, but as we've all seen with Foligno, Spurgeon, and Stewie size isn't the deciding factor.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing where he fits right now. The net front game is something the Wild don't use very often. The cycle down low a lot, but the F3 is usually in the high slot. The FWDs will crash the crease, but they don't stay there long (Foligno and Parise do at times).

Even on the PP they don't plant someone netfront to take the goalie's eyes away. It annoys me a lot during the rare 5v3 PPs. Dumba is the only pure shooter on the backend, so I understand (not that I'm a fan) the normal PP setup they use.

I'm not sure how good (yet to be seen, for a better phrase?) Greenway will be at winning puck battles 1v1. His size indicates he should be good, but as we've all seen with Foligno, Spurgeon, and Stewie size isn't the deciding factor.
So, how about we see what BB decides and see how Greenway performs in said role tomorrow night?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So, how about we see what BB decides and see how Greenway performs in said role tomorrow night?

I'm not going to judge anything off of one game. I'll give him the rest of the season at least.

I remember watching Foligno when he got called up at the end of the season his first year. The dude looked like he was going to be a beast in the NHL: 13 games, 6g/7a (13p), +6, 40+ hits.

I just don't have as high of hopes for Greenway this year as others on here is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad