Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He has another year at 2.1m, and is 2 1/2 years younger too.

And Dumba has trade protection kicking in next season that will make him harder to trade long term.

At the end of the day. Wild are going to lose a good player who will likely be one of the best players on Seatlle.

Given age, cap circumstance, depth at the poistion and internal options to replace, i'd protect Greenway over Dumba.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Based upon being a top pair RD vs. a third line, maybe middle 6 LW.
Intrinsic value, sure. However, there are numerous aspects and view points you need to consider:
1) Greenway fills a role on our team that we don't currently have in our pipeline
2) Greenway comes cheaper, and will be cheaper going forward
3) Dumba's skillset is replaceable within the farm system

Let's say hypothetically, by keeping Dumba you lose out on the ability to keep Kaprisov. Does that still make Dumba worth more than Greenway?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Intrinsic value, sure. However, there are numerous aspects and view points you need to consider:
1) Greenway fills a role on our team that we don't currently have in our pipeline

Let's say hypothetically, by keeping Dumba you lose out on the ability to keep Kaprisov. Does that still make Dumba worth more than Greenway?

1) what role would that be?
3) who? because we dont...

and in your hypothetical world you dont lose kaprizov because of dumba.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

Imo
1. Skilled powerfoward that is potentially unmatched in size in the league.
3. An offensive dmen with average defense. For an example of who here Addison has 8pts in 8 games for AHL and has has wild brass ready to elevate him to the NHL.

Plus
Menell
Belpeido
And can always sign a vet cheap to fill some of the hole if you don't want to give Addison or Co. Too much too early.

Sorry just playing devils advocate for both sides here. It's good for discussion boys don't get to defensive.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

1) Power Forward, more or less.
3) Addison? Menell?

How do you get to determine what happens in my hypothetical world? lol It's just an instance where Dumba's cap would/could prevent others from being signed.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Imo
1. Skilled powerfoward that is potentially unmatched in size in the league.
3. An offensive dmen with average defense. For an example of who here Addison has 8pts in 8 games for AHL and has has wild brass ready to elevate him to the NHL.

Plus
Menell
Belpeido
And can always sign a vet cheap to fill some of the hole if you don't want to give Addison or Co. Too much too early.

Sorry just playing devils advocate for both sides here. It's good for discussion boys don't get to defensive.

dumba is giving you more than average defense. and his shot is irreplaceable. As much as some like to think dumba is easily replaceable, the fact is, some of his skills are not learned. You either have them or you dont, and our pipeline doesnt have them.

Reactions: TaLoN

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
1) Power Forward, more or less.
3) Addison? Menell?

How do you get to determine what happens in my hypothetical world? lol It's just an instance where Dumba's cap would/could prevent others from being signed.

addison and menell cannot replace dumba. they arent the same type of player. Spurgeon, yes they could replace spurgeon.

and to answer your dumba hypothetical kaprizov will be signed this offseason long term. meaning theres zero chance dumbas contract has any effect on it.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
dumba is giving you more than average defense. and his shot is irreplaceable. As much as some like to think dumba is easily replaceable, the fact is, some of his skills are not learned. You either have them or you dont, and our pipeline doesnt have them.

I'll give you his defense may be a bit above average and I think that's being generous but hey that's my opinion. His shot is definitely one of the hardest in the league but he has no control or accuracy really. Atleast the slapper.

Just pointing out its not like he's shutting people down consistently and not making his usually questionable plays and mistakes or scoring goals left and right here.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

So... Dumba's shot is why you want to keep him. While I do like his shot, I don't feel is "irreplaceable".

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
trading or letting go of dumba is going to be Burns 2.0.... ill go on the record for this and eat crow if im wrong.
That's more than a valid scary thought to have to live through again and all the much understandable.

However we didn't have an expansion forcing our hand then.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It really shouldn't come down to protecting one of Dumba or Greenway. If Parise will waive you protect both and there's no problem. If he won't waive you probably have to find a team with an open D protection slot and work out a trade for Dumba.

I don't particularly agree with it, but Guerin has clearly made his choice about which of the top-4 defensemen is going to be traded away and when. It's just a question of timing at this point.

Reactions: MuckOG

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I've considered all of them. Still not enough reason to keep Greenway over Dumba. What you're doing is making the mistake of thinking we need a guy who's 6'5 to win a Stanley Cup. What I'm doing is thinking a third line left winger is more easily replaceable than a top pair RD.

It really shouldn't come down to protecting one of Dumba or Greenway. If Parise will waive you protect both and there's no problem. If he won't waive you probably have to find a team with an open D protection slot and work out a trade for Dumba.

I don't particularly agree with it, but Guerin has clearly made his choice about which of the top-4 defensemen is going to be traded away and when. It's just a question of timing at this point.

I agree that you trade one and protect the other. My point is that if you don't trade one before the expansion draft, you protect Dumba over Greenway because he has more value after the draft.

Reactions: GuerinUp and TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Who remembers when Coyle and Nino had their 55+ point seasons and we all thought there's no way you can trade a 60 point power forward, it's way too valuable, and then you blinked and neither of them were even close to 60 point power forwards, and maybe we should have sold high.

Who would rather have Tuch right now than either Coyle or Nino?

Reactions: GuerinUp

P10p

May 15, 2012
This many years of proof and people are still blinded by the size bias for Greenway...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If the choice is losing Dumba or Greenway for nothing at the expansion draft, then Guerin dropped the ball in a major way in the first place.

Get Parise to waive? Problem solved, protect both.

Parise fails to waive, you likely have to trade Greenway, as trading D will be very difficult for both cap and protection slots available across the league. Simply easier to move a forward for the value you'd be looking for.

If no trade happens because Guerin failed... then you Protect Dumba without even thinking twice.

You don't lose a top pair right D for nothing in this league. You just don't. Period.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s less of a “bias” if he’s pacing 60 points.

Who remembers when Coyle and Nino had their 55+ point seasons and we all thought there's no way you can trade a 60 point power forward, it's way too valuable, and then you blinked and neither of them were even close to 60 point power forwards, and maybe we should have sold high.

Who would rather have Tuch right now than either Coyle or Nino?

Reactions: TaLoN

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
People seem to be forgetting that we can also trade some asset to Seattle to get them to pick the player we want. We may be able to give them something to induce them to take Soucy or Foglino. We have an extra first, we could build a deal around that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
People seem to be forgetting that we can also trade some asset to Seattle to get them to pick the player we want. We may be able to give them something to induce them to take Soucy or Foglino. We have two firsts, we could build a deal around that.

I don't think anyone is forgetting this, it's just not a very good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->