Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I legitimately have no idea why he has a M-NTC the last year of his current contract. It's only 8 teams, so I doubt it would hinder much in terms of trades, but it's kinda baffling nevertheless.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I think Greenway is a limited player in many regards, but in the right role (which he is on the Ek line) he is a really good player. I think he has a huge impact on making that line work and I think him and Ek are a perfect pairing to play a north/south forecheck/cycle/crash the net game. He really imposes his will physically on teams and teams spend a lot of time trying to do with his size in the offensive zone. He's a huge reason why they are able to establish and maintain possession on the cycle. He's easily worth his contract as a player who has a specific playtype that has a multiplier effect to create a good to elite line. Ek/Foligno and pretty much any other player is a significantly worse line. Sure, it would be great if he was this + Tuch's scoring ability but he's a really solid player.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Always thought he'd turn into a a physical threat. Hes no farm boy thats for sure.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Last year: 41-15-6 w/Greenway (116p pace), 12-7-1 (102.5p pace)
This year :14-6 w/Greenway (114p pace), 7-7-2 w/o Greenway (82p pace)

He's missed 3 total games his first 3 seasons (COVID seasons make it look like he missed more games). He got injured last year and the recovery period from that carried over into this season.

The team is better when he's on the ice, and he's paid a fair contract for what he adds for points.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was a mid 2nd round pick for a reason, and has done fine with what those expectations should be. He was never going to be a big goal scorer; that wasn't a part of his game is entire junior career.

Foligno has seen a pretty big drop vs. what he's been the last few years as well, and Eriksson Ek is buoyed a bit by being on the #1 PP (at least early on when it was scoring).

If you're going to break up that line, I think you move Eriksson Ek up in the lineup, not just replace his winger with a decent 4th liner.
Kap-Steel-Zucc
Boldy-Eriksson Ek-Walker
Greenway-Hartman-Foligno
Shaw-Dewar-Reaves/Duhaime

:dunno:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Greenway is a limited player in many regards, but in the right role (which he is on the Ek line) he is a really good player. I think he has a huge impact on making that line work and I think him and Ek are a perfect pairing to play a north/south forecheck/cycle/crash the net game. He really imposes his will physically on teams and teams spend a lot of time trying to do with his size in the offensive zone. He's a huge reason why they are able to establish and maintain possession on the cycle. He's easily worth his contract as a player who has a specific playtype that has a multiplier effect to create a good to elite line. Ek/Foligno and pretty much any other player is a significantly worse line. Sure, it would be great if he was this + Tuch's scoring ability but he's a really solid player.

This is the nicest way I've ever seen somebody describe a complementary bottom six player. Unfortunately it also means his usefulness only lasts as long as Ek and Foligno are scoring at the rate they have the last two years at even strength.

He's missed 3 total games his first 3 seasons (COVID seasons make it look like he missed more games). He got injured last year and the recovery period from that carried over into this season.

The team is better when he's on the ice, and he's paid a fair contract for what he adds for points.

Correlation or causation?

Greenway isn't the problem, but he sure as hell isn't a solution to anything.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Correlation doesn't always mean causation though. If the data says having Greenway results in 32 more points in a season, that probably means there are other factors in play.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Correlation doesn't always mean causation though. If the data says having Greenway results in 32 more points in a season, that probably means there are other factors in play.

I think last year is a more accurate window. Dec was such an easy schedule compared the the start of the year it throws the numbers off (imo).

This year he's started out slow, for sure. If he can return to the .5p/game player the he's been the last 2 years. It'll be a huge boost for MN as a team. Only Kap, Zuck, JEE, Boldy, and Hartman are .5p/game FWDs so far this year.

The last 3 full seasons Greenway for FWDs 5v5 league wide (1000 min played filter for /60):
-245th (tied) in goals, 340th (tied) /60
-53rd (tied) in assists, 42nd (tied) /60
-64th (tied) in 1st assists, 60th (tied) /60
-123 (tied) in points, 120th (tied) /60
-136th in minutes (411 FWDs meet the 1000 minutes played), 178th (tied) in ToI/game

On ice:
-85th (tied) highest GF/60
-63rd (tied), lowest GA/60
-44th (tied) GF%

Everything, except goal scoring, puts Greenway as top-6 FWD 5v5. If he had a quality shot to go with everything else in his game he'd on the PP, and getting paid big money on his next contract.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was hoping greenway would be a 15-20 goal player. since he can't live upto my expectations i'd be okay trading him & dumba to make room for goal scorers.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think last year is a more accurate window. Dec was such an easy schedule compared the the start of the year it throws the numbers off (imo).

This year he's started out slow, for sure. If he can return to the .5p/game player the he's been the last 2 years. It'll be a huge boost for MN as a team. Only Kap, Zuck, JEE, Boldy, and Hartman are .5p/game FWDs so far this year.

The last 3 full seasons Greenway for FWDs 5v5 league wide (1000 min played filter for /60):
-245th (tied) in goals, 340th (tied) /60
-53rd (tied) in assists, 42nd (tied) /60
-64th (tied) in 1st assists, 60th (tied) /60
-123 (tied) in points, 120th (tied) /60
-136th in minutes (411 FWDs meet the 1000 minutes played), 178th (tied) in ToI/game

On ice:
-85th (tied) highest GF/60
-63rd (tied), lowest GA/60
-44th (tied) GF%

Everything, except goal scoring, puts Greenway as top-6 FWD 5v5. If he had a quality shot to go with everything else in his game he'd on the PP, and getting paid big money on his next contract.

I'd wonder if the reason his production rates (*/60), and assists specifically, were as high as they were because Ek was shooting 13.2%, and Foligno was shooting 24.6% (!!!) the last two years.

I'd also wonder if the one ice numbers are a result of being a part of one of the top defensive lines in the league.

I think you can watch the guy play and see he's not driving that line, and he's not a top six winger on a good team. So when the numbers indicate that he should be, I take the numbers with a grain of salt. And when Foligno declines (like he has this year), you see those offensive numbers plummet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd wonder if the reason his production rates (*/60), and assists specifically, were as high as they were because Ek was shooting 13.2%, and Foligno was shooting 24.6% (!!!) the last two years.

I'd also wonder if the one ice numbers are a result of being a part of one of the top defensive lines in the league.

I think you can watch the guy play and see he's not driving that line, and he's not a top six winger on a good team. So when the numbers indicate that he should be, I take the numbers with a grain of salt. And when Foligno declines (like he has this year), you see those offensive numbers plummet.

Greenway is the driver of the GREEF line. He's the one that opens up the space on the ice and makes the passes. Foligno was shooting an insane %, for sure, but most of those weren't snipes. There was a lot of space in the nets he was shooting into. JEE mostly scores from within a foot of the blue paint.

The Foligno/JEE/anyone not named Greenway hasn't more than a meh 2-way line. They are about even +/-, don't score much and allow more GA. The numbers aren't even close the last coupe of seasons.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
i was hoping greenway would be a 15-20 goal player. since he can't live upto my expectations i'd be okay trading him & dumba to make room for goal scorers.
He hasn’t scored 20 goals since he played for Shattuck’s 16U AAA team. The idea that he’d do it in the NHL when he barely paced that over 82 college games per season is outlandish.

Hasn’t been a goal scorer in a literal decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad