Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It may be a better option than trading players you would rather keep.

I think in 2017 the Wild traded Tuch because they'd rather keep Coyle or Nino, and I think everyone realizes that wasn't a good move. I think when the players you'd rather keep are third liners, it's not very smart to trade a 1st to protect them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It may be a better option than trading players you would rather keep.
You likely have to give up real value on top of it... so you're no longer losing Soucy or Foligno, but also losing Boldy or Addison as well.

No thanks.

I'd take a subpar return on Greenway before doing that. Get assets back, not just give more away.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You don't really need to jump right to Boldy when discussing options with Seattle. There's plenty of room in between.
At this point, we're probably wishing Vegas had taken Greenway over Tuch, and we're thanking our stars they didn't take Kap... since they got to choose between Kap, Tuch and Greenway.

I was just looking back at that example on the caliber player we would risk losing... because it happened.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
People seem to be forgetting that we can also trade some asset to Seattle to get them to pick the player we want. We may be able to give them something to induce them to take Soucy or Foglino. We have an extra first, we could build a deal around that.
We know about that option.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Greenway is a beast. His play this year has been crucial to our success. How many other teams have a 6’6” forechecking monster who scores at a 60 pt pace with great underlying stats? He was always going to be a late bloomer so I don’t think his play this year is a mirage. We will need him in the years to come

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Greenway is a beast. His play this year has been crucial to our success. How many other teams have a 6’6” forechecking monster who scores at a 60 pt pace with great underlying stats? He was always going to be a late bloomer so I don’t think his play this year is a mirage. We will need him in the years to come

dont count chickens before they hatch. 1 good season does not mean a great career.

see:
granlund
coyle

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
dont count chickens before they hatch. 1 good season does not mean a great career.

see:
granlund
coyle

Greenway has always had great possession and defensive stats. While I concede that I may be jumping the gun a bit, he probably settles in as a 45-55 pt wing and With all the other things he brings to the table that is a valuable piece and not one we should be so casually giving to Seattle or adding to trades as a sweetener. Luckily I think Guerin feels the same. He’s an extremely unique player.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
What's everyone take on Greenway this season? Slow start, but hopefully the flood gates have now opened?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Maybe at draft he is going to be tradeable, what do you want from MTL?

If i'm GM of Habs, that would my first target, 24 years old, big, skate well and going make the futur better.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe at draft he is going to be tradeable, what do you want from MTL?

If i'm GM of Habs, that would my first target, 24 years old, big, skate well and going make the futur better.
It's mostly a cap-driven problem so he'll probably be sold for futures to the highest bidder. Just splitballing I'd think right now he's probably worth a 2nd and an okay prospect, but if he shows well down the stretch and in the playoffs that could go up.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He seems to be heating up, 4 assists in the last 2 games(albeit vs. bottom feeders) - loved his assist on Foligno's winner the other night.
He plays a role on one of the best Wild lines of recent memory.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
292 GP, 117 pts(38 goals).

- misses about 10-11 games per year, on average.

Playoffs

- 22gp, 7 points

What bothers me about him is that at an age where he should be in his prime(25yo), he is having his worst year(5 pts in 20gp). He looks to me to have not improved his skating or balance, at all, and his puck skills, such as taking and receiving passes, shooting, etc. seemed to have deteriorated...certainly not improved.

Maybe he was never that talented, maybe the injuries are still affecting him, maybe he doesn't work that hard. I don't know. I just think he is a big disappointment, after putting up 26 assists in a 56 game season two years ago. At this point, I am wondering if the team wouldn't be better off putting Duhaime in his spot, and trading Greenway, though I don't know if he has much value. I think both he, and to a lesser extent, Foligno, get too much credit for the success of the GREEF's, and JEE not enough.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
292 GP, 117 pts(38 goals).

- misses about 10-11 games per year, on average.

Playoffs

- 22gp, 7 points

What bothers me about him is that at an age where he should be in his prime(25yo), he is having his worst year(5 pts in 20gp). He looks to me to have not improved his skating or balance, at all, and his puck skills, such as taking and receiving passes, shooting, etc. seemed to have deteriorated...certainly not improved.

Maybe he was never that talented, maybe the injuries are still affecting him, maybe he doesn't work that hard. I don't know. I just think he is a big disappointment, after putting up 26 assists in a 56 game season two years ago. At this point, I am wondering if the team wouldn't be better off putting Duhaime in his spot, and trading Greenway, though I don't know if he has much value. I think both he, and to a lesser extent, Foligno, get too much credit for the success of the GREEF's, and JEE not enough.
I would guess that his scoring has been decreasing because of his injuries. Him starting this year injured meant he would be a step behind where he usually is, which is still a step behind where he usually should be (bad skating joke, sorry).

He's one of those players who, when healthy and engaged, you can see the monster he could become. It sometimes takes those hulking power forwards years to gain consistency and fill in their frame, but once they do you get guys like Todd Bertuzzi. That said, I think Greenway's just about out of time to develop into anything even halfway to Bertuzzi. He was nearly halfway there two years ago, but hasn't developed since.

I think he probably is what he is at this point, a good bottom 6 player with just enough skill to play on the 2nd line for a few games if there's an injury, but would be exposed there long term. I like him, especially when he's playing a nasty-but-legal style, but I have no illusions about what his upside probably is at this point.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He was a mid 2nd round pick for a reason, and has done fine with what those expectations should be. He was never going to be a big goal scorer; that wasn't a part of his game is entire junior career.

Foligno has seen a pretty big drop vs. what he's been the last few years as well, and Eriksson Ek is buoyed a bit by being on the #1 PP (at least early on when it was scoring).

If you're going to break up that line, I think you move Eriksson Ek up in the lineup, not just replace his winger with a decent 4th liner.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would guess that his scoring has been decreasing because of his injuries. Him starting this year injured meant he would be a step behind where he usually is, which is still a step behind where he usually should be (bad skating joke, sorry).

He's one of those players who, when healthy and engaged, you can see the monster he could become. It sometimes takes those hulking power forwards years to gain consistency and fill in their frame, but once they do you get guys like Todd Bertuzzi. That said, I think Greenway's just about out of time to develop into anything even halfway to Bertuzzi. He was nearly halfway there two years ago, but hasn't developed since.

I think he probably is what he is at this point, a good bottom 6 player with just enough skill to play on the 2nd line for a few games if there's an injury, but would be exposed there long term. I like him, especially when he's playing a nasty-but-legal style, but I have no illusions about what his upside probably is at this point.
I don't think he is even a good bottom six player at this point.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think he is even a good bottom six player at this point.
That's kind of why I mentioned his injury to start the year. I think that's set him back from where he'd normally be at this point. I think this is a down season for him, not the normal, but time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad