Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Unless the Wild ask Parise/Zucc to waive the NMC because no team in their right minds would take those contracts for free and we protect both and leave them to pick nobody.

Guerin is playing this upcoming draft like an absolute genius and deserves at least 3 years of leeway for it.
I think Zuccarello would have less incentive to waive than Parise. I doubt that Seattle would select him but it's not out of the realm of possibility, and even if the risk is minimal he has little reason to do it. Getting Parise to waive is probably enough to protect everyone worth protecting anyway.

Zuccarello (NMC)
Fiala
Eriksson-Ek
Greenway

Suter (NMC)
Spurgeon (NMC)
Brodin (NMC)
Dumba

A goalie

Expose: Parise, Rask, Sturm, Soucy, a goalie

Edit: Actually, looking at the list of exposed players here makes me think taking Zuccarello makes more sense than I was thinking. All it'd take is a down year from Soucy to make him pretty appealing, and that's not exactly impossible.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree that Kunin wasn't traded because he was a problem, or a bad player, but because the picks they got for him allowed them to get a C prospect they wanted, and a D prospect they wanted, as well as a serviceable C with an expiring contract. Also, who knows how the preliminary talks with Kunin's agent were going? Maybe he was a bit over aggressive, and BG didn't need the headache.
Add to all that the Seattle ED problem, and you can see it's a pretty easy decision to make.
Greenway is also on the clock, though the late start to this year is going to make it difficult for GM's to get a read on how players have improved.

Reactions: Mancini79

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Guerin is an absolute genius for trading Luke Kunin?

Kunin is a good player and a good guy. But with the expansion draft upcoming it makes total sense for reasons the above poster listed. It was a solid return and we can still get another 2nd or 1st out of it.

Kunin is also a guy with an injury history. I don't know how he's able to perform throughout an 82 game and then some season long term.

I'm also concerned about him having diabetes.

No offense to anyone who has that and you can certainly live a normal happy successful life with that condition.

But you have to be concerned for numerous reasons including stamina, injury recovery, and if he doesn't get injured wear and tear recovery.

Not saying that was apart of the reason he was traded but those are just some things that concerned me when he was initially picked and given injuries that have occurred after the pick it's just something to think about.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
But yeah otherwise you lose the guy for nothing.

I'm for trading Greenway/Soucy as well if it makes a lot of sense to do it at the TDL as well.

I don't think you lose anyone of potential/high caliber for free.

Tuch and Haula being given away for free significantly impacted this franchise's inmidiate and long term future.

We could have traded both of those players for decent future returns.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But yeah otherwise you lose the guy for nothing.

I'm for trading Greenway/Soucy as well if it makes a lot of sense to do it at the TDL as well.

I don't think you lose anyone of potential/high caliber for free.

Tuch and Haula being given away for free significantly impacted this franchise's inmidiate and long term future.

We could have traded both of those players for decent future returns.
I'd have to check, but I think if you trade Soucy you actually break the draft rules by not exposing a defenseman under contract that's played enough games in the last 1/2 years.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How good will he be at peak? 50 point/82 game guy?
To early to tell. Looks pretty good this season after dropping 15 pound. Can he keep it up for a full year? Can he keep the right off long term to keep his speed up,? Remarks to be seen

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How good will he be at peak? 50 point/82 game guy?

He might hit 50 the way Nino and Coyle did, but ultimately settles as about a 40ish point guy. He doesn't have the shot to be a true scoring threat, and most of his assists come from simple plays and being effective at controlling the pucks down low, not as a result of beautiful passes to open teammates.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Impossible to say until we know his usage. I've thought for a while now that he should be net front on the PP. That would give him another 7-8 pts. per year at a minimum. Playing as the grinder on a line with skilled partners would net him at least another 5 -6.

As is, he can be a 35-40 point guy, though it's hard to say with JEE's rate of improvement.

Mancini79

Jul 4, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Impossible to say until we know his usage. I've thought for a while now that he should be net front on the PP. That would give him another 7-8 pts. per year at a minimum. Playing as the grinder on a line with skilled partners would net him at least another 5 -6.

As is, he can be a 35-40 point guy, though it's hard to say with JEE's rate of improvement.
You’ve sort of advocated giving him a shot at C. Still think that’s a possibility? I’d say give him a shot at least. Sturm looked great last night as well.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
naw, though if they are going to use Parise as a FO and net front man on the PP, JD can try it, too. Parise is good in front of the net, but Greenway is a bloody house, and is much better winning pucks down low, and IMO, is a better passer. He is like JEE in that he will probably never be a pure skill guy, but he will never develop in that regard if he doesn't get some opportunites. Parise's best hockey is behind him, while Greenway's is ahead. With all due respect to ZP's stellar career, I think it's better for the Wild long term if Greenway gets some top 6 and PP TOI.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Too early to have this question seriously, but come TDL if Greenway keeps paying well. Do the Wild trade him so they don't lose him for nothing? Do they trade Dumba to protect him? Do they make a deal with Seattle? or something else?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he keeps playing like he is, you can't lose him for nothing, and I would imagine that they wouldn't want to lose him at all. Before this year I would have said that they would sooner lose Greenway than Soucy, but now, I don't think it's close- they need Greenway far more.
I would even argue that they need Greenway more than Dumba, even though Matt might be the better player. Greenway is younger, and has a unique, valuable skillset on a defense rich, forward poor team.

They either have to get Parise to waive his NMC for the Seattle ED so they can protect JEE and Greenway, or trade Dumba, or trade Greenway. You can't lose those players for nothing. Soucy...well, it wouldn't be great, but they could weather it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think you work out a deal for some of Seattle's futures to let them take Dumba. If they'd rather take Greenway than Dumba, then let them.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Too early to have this question seriously, but come TDL if Greenway keeps paying well. Do the Wild trade him so they don't lose him for nothing? Do they trade Dumba to protect him? Do they make a deal with Seattle? or something else?

Decision doesn’t necessarily have to be made at the TDL.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Bumping cause I think it's definitely worthy discussion now. He's been on another level all year.

We. Can't. Lose. Greenway to expansion.

Discuss.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bumping cause I think it's definitely worthy discussion now. He's been on another level all year.

We. Can't. Lose. Greenway to expansion.

Discuss.

We can if the alternative is Dumba.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll take Jordan Greenway at 2.1M over Dumba at 6M, given this team and it's needs. Cap hits matter.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'll take Jordan Greenway at 2.1M over Dumba at 6M, given this team and it's needs. Cap hits matter.
To be fair Greenway is playing himself into the 4m+ range extension.

And I'll agree it's a hard pill to swallow knowing you're potentially picking Greenway over Dumba but for me as someone pointed out we have prospects ready to fill the hole, besides Boldy who may or may not fill that big man role who else is their?

Idk about you guys but It made me sick watching Tuch run circles on us. I would not relish the day watching Greenway do it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be fair Greenway is playing himself into the 4m+ range extension.

And I'll agree it's a hard pill to swallow knowing you're potentially picking Greenway over Dumba but for me as someone pointed out we have prospects ready to fill the hole, besides Boldy who may or may not fill that big man role who else is their?

Idk about you guys but It made me sick watching Tuch run circles on us. I would not relish the day watching Greenway do it.
Having Greenway come in and run Rossi, Addison, and Boldy over would be tough to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->