Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Eberle is having a "ryan strome season". He is on pace for only 35 points (16g-19a). I must admit that I'm surprised by his lack of productivity. Usually, players who become UFAs, have good seasons.
I am not making excuses for Eberle's disappointing production, but I do wonder if his upcoming unrestricted free agency, is weighing on him.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Eberle isn't a first line all star type of winger, if he was reliable for 33 goals 75 points he'd be as good as John tavares

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
He misses Barzal, and vice versa.

I think we are seeing the Eberle who wore out his welcome in Edmonton. I disagree that a prior poster that his effort has been good. When I watch him he always seems to be the last player back on D. He avoids contact. To me which ever of the top 2 lines he is on seems to be the worst of the 2 lines. I think his play this season has brought down his line. I would trade him in a heartbeat. Barzal has been better without Eberle this year.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You still need some vets to bridge the gap from window to window however. Lee, Bailey, and Cizikas are the specific guys I would look to keep around for as long as they are productive.

Eberle should be gone by the deadline, he’s not a Trotz system guy. Clutterbuck is the worst forward on the 23 man roster, and Ladd and Komarov are your classic overpaid bottom six forwards, but their contracts will be off the books by the time the organization needs the space (think lockout/expansion).
If he gets us anything better than a 3rd round pick, I'll be surprised. Perhaps a 2nd rounder from a team bound to pick late. I'll take that at this point. I don't think we have a second this year.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If he gets us anything better than a 3rd round pick, I'll be surprised. Perhaps a 2nd rounder from a team bound to pick late. I'll take that at this point. I don't think we have a second this year.

He's having a down year, but what does hurt his value is it's not like he has playoff experience or production, that comes with a price. In 13GP he has 0G and 2A, that's the skid mark right there.

Lesser players net 1st round picks, but many of them are proven playoff performers who still impact the game when their not scoring.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He's having a down year, but what does hurt his value is it's not like he has playoff experience or production, that comes with a price. In 13GP he has 0G and 2A, that's the skid mark right there.

Lesser players net 1st round picks, but many of them are proven playoff performers who still impact the game when their not scoring.
For a team making a legit SC run, he would be could to solidfy a 3rd line for some secondary scoring. No team better than us is looking for him to be a top 6 winger unless they're really hit by injuries. Regardless, you take what you can get for him and say thanks for the past 2 years.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
For a team making a legit SC run, he would be could to solidfy a 3rd line for some secondary scoring. No team better than us is looking for him to be a top 6 winger unless they're really hit by injuries. Regardless, you take what you can get for him and say thanks for the past 2 years.

Ok, so we'll get a 2nd and Sebastian Collberg.

At least your managing our expectations, we need a dose of reality here.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think we are seeing the Eberle who wore out his welcome in Edmonton. I disagree that a prior poster that his effort has been good. When I watch him he always seems to be the last player back on D. He avoids contact. To me which ever of the top 2 lines he is on seems to be the worst of the 2 lines. I think his play this season has brought down his line. I would trade him in a heartbeat. Barzal has been better without Eberle this year.

He avoids contact, but he's the only one capable of creating any space on offense on his line. I also disagree that he's always the last person back.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
He avoids contact, but he's the only one capable of creating any space on offense on his line. I also disagree that he's always the last person back.
Worst +/- on the team gets no heat Brock tied for best +/- gets heat all day.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Again the double standard on this board is laughable. Brock Nelson was never expected to be an offensive star on the other hand Jordan Eberle was. Yes Brock was a first round pick but a late one and by all standards he is a proven NHL player. The trouble here is that he's not Dynamic doesn't drive play and is put in a role he shouldn't be playing only because we no longer have a #2 center. As stated many times he's best playing the wing

Reactions: ndgolden

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Jordan Eberle 1 goal in the last 13 games.
And most people on this board have written Eberle off and are working on trade scenarios to get him out of here.

We’ve seen Nelson’s disappearing act for 9 years. That’s why he gets more heat than Eberle.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
1 goal in 12 games is what gets Nelson heat all day.

Forget individual stats, a #2 center has to be able make plays that allows his wings to score. That is not happening. End of story.

Eberle, Nelson and Lee are all goal scorers in UFA yrs. This line has been solid defensively, but the offense has been generated individually. No secret here why this line has flatlined.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

We will agree to disagree on his defense. Yes Eberle can create space but he hasn't been very good at it this year. Bailey belongs with Lee and Nelson. Both those guys need Bailey's passing ability. Switch out Eberle for another free agent to be in Simmonds and the difference will be night and day. I contend Eberle more than any other player is negatively impacting the top six.

Reactions: SI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just want to say that Nelson gets heat because he never continues his production. Eberle has a history of scoring and seems to be in a funk. A funk won't get you ridiculed the same way as years of offensive ineptitude will. Hopefully that clarifies things for some of you who are suddenly all over Nelson's jockstrap.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We will agree to disagree on his defense. Yes Eberle can create space but he hasn't been very good at it this year. Bailey belongs with Lee and Nelson. Both those guys need Bailey's passing ability. Switch out Eberle for another free agent to be in Simmonds and the difference will be night and day. I contend Eberle more than any other player is negatively impacting the top six.

I think Bailey works best there too. I'll pay more attention to him defensively. He's struggling this year and iveI said that, so the question is whether he'll snap out of it or is this the new normal?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
And most people on this board have written Eberle off and are working on trade scenarios to get him out of here.

We’ve seen Nelson’s disappearing act for 9 years. That’s why he gets more heat than Eberle.
I would have considered trading Eberle last year and won't miss Nelson either. Winning teams replace these types with more well rounded skilled talent. Nelson isn't too bad but Eberle even as a scorer just doesn't move the needle for me.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Long time Oiler fan here, Eberle was my favourite player in his early days as an Oiler. He was so fun to watch and I thought we had a legit 30 goal scorer for the next decade or more.

He got rocked by some huge hits in his first few years and then really started to shy away from the tough areas. I could really see him start to play cautiously and scared. He ended up floating a lot and became the resident whipping boy in Edmonton.

I think with the change of scenery last year he had a decent season but he seems to be playing the same way now that he did in his last few years in Edmonton. I honestly see him signing a contract in the summer somewhere warm and trying to stay under the radar for the rest of his career.

It's too bad but he obviously isn't a big guy and some of those hits he took early on were pretty rattling. Hopefully you guys can flip him for something serviceable before the deadline.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Think Eberle is one of those guys who need to be on a high-flying offensive team where he doesn't have to concentrate so hard on defensive responsibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad