Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Eberle is a good solid player who could help a Stanley Cup team as a passenger. Hopefully he keeps increasing his value and is dealt for futures. If not I don't see the point of giving him a long term deal and you can't just let him walk.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We need solid players, not shiny draft picks. The point of resigning him is to keep talented players.
Based on what E. Kane and MaxPac signed for, Eberle likely gets $7m per.

I would rather put a $9m offer on the table for Panarin on July 1st .

My worry with Panarin is he signs with the Rangers.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We need solid players, not shiny draft picks. The point of resigning him is to keep talented players.

If they don't fit into the window for this team to legitimately compete, then it doesn't make sense. Lee, Bailey, Eberle, Komarov, Ladd, Cizikas, and Clutterbuck are all signed long term and for big money. How does the team improve?

If Eberle and Lee both sign for $6.5 million, with Nelson signing for $5.5 million, there's about $14 million in free space. A goalie still needs to be signed, as well as a center, plus extras. Let's just say it's $2 million for the extra forwards and defensemen, now there's $12 million remaining for a goalie and a center (plus we have to qualify Beauvillier). It's a decent amount of money, but not a ton. It certainly isn't getting the team two top tier players. We'd be largely the same team moving forward because we didn't really upgrade anywhere. Barzal will also be due a new deal after the next season (as will Pulock), so there needs to be space for that. Greiss and Martin both come off the books after next season, but I'm not sure that's enough.

It's possible to re-sign him, but it would be really tight and hard to improve with the Komarov, Ladd, and Clutterbuck deals. I'd look to move Hickey, Nelson, and Clutterbuck to help clear some space so we can keep Eberle. It all depends on what type of center, goalie, and defenseman Lamoriello wants to go after. If he goes for an established guy, Eberle can stay. If he's going for a younger guy to grow into a role, then it might be best to part with him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If
If Eberle and Lee both sign for $6.5 million, .

Would be kind of surprised to see Lee & Eberle take team friendly contracts .
Both in their prime.

I am not against keeping both, but would hope it could be done without giving them a NTC/NMC.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Would be kind of surprised to see Lee & Eberle take team friendly contracts .
Both in their prime.

I am not against keeping both, but would hope it could be done without giving them a NTC/NMC.

Yeah, I like to go with the best case scenario for the contracts to demonstrate how dicey it still is.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Come deadline time who is willing to trade away first rd picks. It seems as though last years playoff teams maybe similar as this year. So what teams are able to deal picks for Ebs, Nelson, Valteri etc?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Trotz clearly prefers Bailey with Barzal and Beauvillier, and I don’t think Eberle works particularly well with Nelson and Lee.

I wonder how much of a dropoff there would be if you traded Eberle to the highest bidder at the deadline and slid Ho-Sang next to Nelson and Lee.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Trotz clearly prefers Bailey with Barzal and Beauvillier, and I don’t think Eberle works particularly well with Nelson and Lee.

I wonder how much of a dropoff there would be if you traded Eberle to the highest bidder at the deadline and slid Ho-Sang next to Nelson and Lee.
That's what I'm thinking.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Eberle is the better scorer for sure. Both are skilled with ho sang being the better skater. Last game I thought Eberle played well. Created chances and had plenty himself just did not finish. Both are soft and a liability defensively.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's what I'm thinking.

Eberle is the better scorer for sure. Both are skilled with ho sang being the better skater. Last game I thought Eberle played well. Created chances and had plenty himself just did not finish. Both are soft and a liability defensively.

Wasn’t able to catch the last two games, but yeah in general Eberle is the better goal scorer of the two but Ho-Sang is a better skater.

I’m just getting the feeling that Eberle is not a player who is best suited for this system, and Ho-Sang’s skating and playmaking abilities would mesh well with Nelson and Lee, two big bodied goal scorers.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wasn’t able to catch the last two games, but yeah in general Eberle is the better goal scorer of the two but Ho-Sang is a better skater.

I’m just getting the feeling that Eberle is not a player who is best suited for this system, and Ho-Sang’s skating and playmaking abilities would mesh well with Nelson and Lee, two big bodied goal scorers.

Precisely why Eberle being a better goal scorer doesn't matter a whole lot, if Ho-Sang can cut down on the turnovers and play within the system.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Precisely why Eberle being a better goal scorer doesn't matter a whole lot, if Ho-Sang can cut down on the turnovers and play within the system.

Yeah, it’s interesting because this team is largely pass first and needs more goal scorers, but if they need to fit into the system.

I think a guy like Bellows could eventually be a better fit than Eberle for example because of his size and willingness to get chippy.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, it’s interesting because this team is largely pass first and needs more goal scorers, but if they need to fit into the system.

I think a guy like Bellows could eventually be a better fit than Eberle for example because of his size and willingness to get chippy.

And his shot. Outside of Nelson and Beau we don’t have any real shooters up front. I thought Eberle would be more of a shooter and he does have a good shot but he’s not a snipe first kind of guy. He likes to dish as well. Really we have no one in our forward group who is a shoot first type guy

Barzal and Bellows could be magic on the PP. cross ice one timers all day.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
After watching the last 2 home games in person it is so obvious to me that Eberle is having trouble fitting into Trotz's system. He does not back check and is always the last man back into the D zone. He is allergic to all board play. I would be surprised if Lou doesn't move him before the deadline. Watching Nelson hustle while Eberle floats is telling. Both are playing for contracts. Or should be.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Actually we need "Cup caliber" players...Solid like Eberle/Nelson alone won't cut it. So if "shiny" picks leads us to the "Cup," even if it takes longer, then you can sign me up for that right now.

Also keep in mind just because you trade for picks, doesn't mean you have to use them. Like anything else they are an ASSET...And those assets can be traded for players as well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If they don't fit into the window for this team to legitimately compete, then it doesn't make sense. Lee, Bailey, Eberle, Komarov, Ladd, Cizikas, and Clutterbuck are all signed long term and for big money. How does the team improve?

If Eberle and Lee both sign for $6.5 million, with Nelson signing for $5.5 million, there's about $14 million in free space. A goalie still needs to be signed, as well as a center, plus extras. Let's just say it's $2 million for the extra forwards and defensemen, now there's $12 million remaining for a goalie and a center (plus we have to qualify Beauvillier). It's a decent amount of money, but not a ton. It certainly isn't getting the team two top tier players. We'd be largely the same team moving forward because we didn't really upgrade anywhere. Barzal will also be due a new deal after the next season (as will Pulock), so there needs to be space for that. Greiss and Martin both come off the books after next season, but I'm not sure that's enough.

It's possible to re-sign him, but it would be really tight and hard to improve with the Komarov, Ladd, and Clutterbuck deals. I'd look to move Hickey, Nelson, and Clutterbuck to help clear some space so we can keep Eberle. It all depends on what type of center, goalie, and defenseman Lamoriello wants to go after. If he goes for an established guy, Eberle can stay. If he's going for a younger guy to grow into a role, then it might be best to part with him.

Yes and yes. The opening paragraph is everything and exactly how I hope my GM is thinking. You need a CORE group of players to build around and they should all be roughly the same age. If you don't have the core yet then everything should be used to create it, foster it, and then fill in the other blanks. Teams like the Kings, Blackhawks, and Penguins all had their cores and thus why they all won Cups. Now they're getting older and thus why you're seeing them all stumble.

Top end players under 25 are always what you should be striving to build your core around so your window can hopefully last longer, but you also need cap space. So as PK so smartly alluded to above, you need to get rid of your dead weight contracts or you can never compete and keep your core together for the long term.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Eberle is having a "ryan strome season". He is on pace for only 35 points (16g-19a). I must admit that I'm surprised by his lack of productivity. Usually, players who become UFAs, have good seasons.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Eberle is having a "ryan strome season". He is on pace for only 35 points (16g-19a). I must admit that I'm surprised by his lack of productivity. Usually, players who become UFAs, have good seasons.

I thought he was struggling early on, but recently he's picked up his play. He's just not scoring right now.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You still need some vets to bridge the gap from window to window however. Lee, Bailey, and Cizikas are the specific guys I would look to keep around for as long as they are productive.

Eberle should be gone by the deadline, he’s not a Trotz system guy. Clutterbuck is the worst forward on the 23 man roster, and Ladd and Komarov are your classic overpaid bottom six forwards, but their contracts will be off the books by the time the organization needs the space (think lockout/expansion).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad