Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
25-30goals would be great. A lot more than we would have gotten from Strome.

If Eberle goes on a hot streak he has a shot at 30 goals. Good first year for him I say.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Imagine instead of Hamonic to CGY we were able to swindle Chiarelli for Hall in addition to Barzal, Eberle, Beau? Opening night could've looked like this.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Hall-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Beau/JHS
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Sweet Moses Malone....

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
25-30goals would be great. A lot more than we would have gotten from Strome.

If Eberle goes on a hot streak he has a shot at 30 goals. Good first year for him I say.

He has lived up to expectations . Playing with Starzal is the fountain of youth for anyone even though he is not old. The last thing you would want is to lose your spot on his wing .He was a great pick up. As for Strome , almost exact same stats as last year but played 10 more games for the Oil. 1g - 3a - 4pts in 16 games for the month of March . Yukk

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He has lived up to expectations . Playing with Starzal is the fountain of youth for anyone even though he is not old. The last thing you would want is to lose your spot on his wing .He was a great pick up. As for Strome , almost exact same stats as last year but played 10 more games for the Oil. 1g - 3a - 4pts in 16 games for the month of March . Yukk

I’m shcocked at his assertiveness and willingness to battle on the boards. I’ll never thought he was that type of player. His shot is really good and his hands are filthy. He really compliments Barzal good. Can’t wait to see them play a few season together next year with an already established chemistry.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Strome is a depth forward. Eberle is a secondary scorer. He's an entire tier above Strome, and getting paid like so.

One of the ONLY good things Garth is good at if finding value in the rough.

That's why it took him 12 years to get JT some help. He lives for the deals, probably has an Ebates account and spends his days in the office bidding on 60 inch flatscreens on Beezid and flipping them on Ebay for double the price.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Do we re-up Eberle? With his contract and Lee's contract expiring after next season, I don't think we can keep both. If JT walks, I think both need to go then.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Do we re-up Eberle? With his contract and Lee's contract expiring after next season, I don't think we can keep both. If JT walks, I think both need to go then.

In a perfect world Snow does not sign three bottom six players to such large deals in Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Ladd so we have enough room to sign both Lee and Eberle. I would rather them trade Lee for a big time defenseman and resign Eberle, then to try and trade Eberle for someone and keep Lee.

I really do not see Lee holding up as long as I can see Eberle holding up playing next to Barzal.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

The tricky thing is what does he get paid? Eberle is a really good player. I think he was in the perfect role this year for what he brings. 2nd Line winger and secondary scoring option. It also depends on what type of year he had next year. If he has a year similar to this year I see him getting a contract offer from the isles similar to Baileys.

If he chooses to test free agency I think he will get offered More than we’re willing to pay.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
They could always just roll with the same defense next season, I mean they've got pretty much everybody locked up besides Pulock.

That's so f***ing embarrassing. But Snow is the smartest guy in the room locking in 3rd and 4th line and 6th and 7th (and 8th!) defensemen to multi-year deals.

Reactions: Eberzal

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

My preference would be to sign Eberle. I think he will age better. Power forwards don't tend to age well. I would sign Eberle even if JT walks. The team can't be all young players and Eberle has good chemistry with Barzal.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Curious what Eberle's play would look like without Barzal. I think Eberle's been great this year. I've always been an Eberle fan and thought he got a raw deal on the Oilers BUT Barzal's been so outstanding this year that he's made all his wingers look amazing (yes, including Ladd)

And I can't stand Nelson BUT imagine a line of Ladd - Nelson - Eberle -> I don't see two wingers (a combined $12MM give or take) producing at a high level with Nelson as the centre (or Quine/Fritz/Cizikas).

I think Tavares and Barzal can really make wingers looks great (better than they would be otherwise) - so I worry about this.

To be clear, I think Eberle's a really solid player and can produce even without Barzal, but the Barzal impact (similar to the Tavares impact on the stats of Nielsen, Okposo, Parenteau, Moulson, Boyes, etc.)

Since the Isles will be near the cap and have MAJOR holes, their only area of strength is at forward, so if there's a deal to be made, players like Eberle/Lee (pending UFAs) make sense to move. As much as it's painful to think about in Eberle's case. But let's face facts, the team sucks and we can score goals. So trading goals for preventing-goals has to make some sense.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Curious what Eberle's play would look like without Barzal. I think Eberle's been great this year. I've always been an Eberle fan and thought he got a raw deal on the Oilers BUT Barzal's been so outstanding this year that he's made all his wingers look amazing (yes, including Ladd)

And I can't stand Nelson BUT imagine a line of Ladd - Nelson - Eberle -> I don't see two wingers (a combined $12MM give or take) producing at a high level with Nelson as the centre (or Quine/Fritz/Cizikas).

I think Tavares and Barzal can really make wingers looks great (better than they would be otherwise) - so I worry about this.

To be clear, I think Eberle's a really solid player and can produce even without Barzal, but the Barzal impact (similar to the Tavares impact on the stats of Nielsen, Okposo, Parenteau, Moulson, Boyes, etc.)

Since the Isles will be near the cap and have MAJOR holes, their only area of strength is at forward, so if there's a deal to be made, players like Eberle/Lee (pending UFAs) make sense to move. As much as it's painful to think about in Eberle's case. But let's face facts, the team sucks and we can score goals. So trading goals for preventing-goals has to make some sense.

I view most lines as functioning because of two players, not all three. As much as Eberle has benefited from Barzal, Barzal has benefited from Eberle. He has a calm presence to his game and knows when to keep it simple verses increasing the risk. Barzal and Eberle are a great duo I wish to continue to watch. The question for line one, if Tavares stays, is which of Lee or Bailey help Tavares more.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
one thing that's great about Ebs is that he can finish ... remember when we had no finishers at all ... now the team just needs some new coaches and a few preventers...

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I view most lines as functioning because of two players, not all three. As much as Eberle has benefited from Barzal, Barzal has benefited from Eberle. He has a calm presence to his game and knows when to keep it simple verses increasing the risk. Barzal and Eberle are a great duo I wish to continue to watch. The question for line one, if Tavares stays, is which of Lee or Bailey help Tavares more.

If Tavares stays the other question is which young forward would best replace Lee or Bailey. Tavares needs someone to carry the puck into the zone and in theory Ho-Sang should be that guy. So then trade Bailey. JT also needs someone to help with the cycle and net presence so in theory Bellows could be that guy. Then trade Lee. Ideally Isles need to make a judgement call around Bellows and Ho-Sang before trading one of Lee or Bailey. The only other solution is a top 4 but not first overall pick that nets Isles a stud forward prospect.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Literally every good center does this.

I watch a decent amount of Panthers games, and they've tinkered with a few different line combos over the course of the season. One included switching Huberdeau with Bjugstad on the top line. As expected Huberdeau's production dipped and bit while Bjugstad's jumped. Another example that comes to mind was Kunitz with Crosby over the years. Kunitz was obviously not as good with Crosby as he really was, but what was important was that he was able to be as good as he was when the played with Crosby.

Wingers are the most disposable position in hockey in my opinion, but at the same time, there are wingers who can elevate their games when put with top six centers (Josh Bailey) and guys who can't (Jason Chimera). I think it's important to lock down the wingers that you know can elevate their games when playing with your team's top centers, because when your top six centerman are going (and this goes without saying but you need a guy who can make some saves and a defense that can mitigate scoring chances), your team goes.

Having two centerman who can drive lines is 2/3rds of the battle in my opinion. Having a solid goalie and a good defense is the other 1/3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad