Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Glad to see you guys like Eberle, you should start to see the best out of him soon he tends to get hot around mid-December and it tends to carry on through to around the end of January. Given that he is traditionally a slow starter and is presently on pace for 64 points, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got 70 points out of him this year. Anyways, good luck.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I was not a fan, but man was I wrong.

He's been excellent.

Reactions: C24

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He plays a solid game and like I said in the GDT today, other teams have to respect his skill or he'll just dangle them. It's so nice to have a guy that they can't just attack whenever they want.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
He's also a better skater and has better hands. I was a big Okoposo fan but there is no doubt Eberle is a better player!!

He's better, because he doesn't just toe drag at the blue line and turn it over. He also doesn't have a frame that makes you wish he'd be physical.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I've warmed to him but it is 99% thanks to Barzal. If MB was still in Bridgeport and Nelson was centering line #2 my first thought is there would not have been any magic there and he disappoints. Credit him for at least sticking with Barzal though. I will take it and be happy.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I watched a lot of Eberle in EDM and always liked his game, though when the team was losing and he slumped, he was their whipping boy (like we had with Bailey, now Nelson - dozens more over the years). His offensive stats are absolutely related to his chemistry with Barzal, their styles complement one another, both have excellent vision and hockey sense.

Barzal's amazing ability to carry the puck, hold the puck, protect the puck along the boards, while skating near-top-speed is something to marvel at.

And even without the good numbers, Eberle's been better than I expected. He's not big or strong or fast or physical and not great along the boards, not great defensively but he's a really smart player with great offensive instincts. I think I said this when we traded for him, he's what Strome aspires to be.

He's far better than Okposo was, though they are different players. I hope he sticks around.

I also like Ladd on that wing, perfect spot for him. And if you wonder why Nelson won't work on that wing - zero hockey sense.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
And if you wonder why Nelson won't work on that wing - zero hockey sense.
Yeah, the Isles need to realize that Nelson is maybe a good 3rd line LW, or trade him to a team that thinks he's more than that.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Just fantastic, happy we have him for another year.

What's the opinion on his price tag? Is he worth the 6 million?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I want to resign him....

As for...is he worth 6 mill...it's a wait and see...I think he's in the middle..like not as good to warrant 6 mill, BUT good enough not to be crapped on that he is getting paid too much. If he gets over 60 points, I won't complain...it's hard to come to a new team and fit in..Next year, lets see, but I really want this guy to stay an Islander. We need more gifted wingers..not trade them away and he at least has 6-8 more years of good production left in him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's worth $6 million if he can keep the scoring up. Ladd/Clutterbuck have to be shipped out if Tavares stays.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He had some initial trouble adjusting. If it wasn’t for that he’s easily on pace for a career year mostly likely

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's worth $6 million if he can keep the scoring up. Ladd/Clutterbuck have to be shipped out if Tavares stays.

Funny you mention Ladd. If Beauvillier keeps this up on with Barzal and Eberle, Ladd becomes pretty useless really quickly.

I completely agree on Clutterbuck though, but that’s quite a contract to move. There will still be 3 years left on his deal and 4 left on Ladd’s.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I liked the Eberle for Strome deal when it was initially made and I am very happy that it has worked out so far. If Beau-Barzal-Eberle can keep producing behind the first line, the Isles are in great shape for offense and it makes them that much harder to play against the next couple years. Plus that line is cheap for the immediate future, even with Eberle making $6 million, since Beau and Barzal are on ELCs.

As for how it will impact other moves and signings, first they have to get JT and Bailey extended. With expiring deals in Kulemin, Chimera, CdH, Hickey, Seids and Halak, that shouldn't be a problem for next season's cap.

From there, I think the Isles can live with both of Ladd and Clutter's contracts for another year. But I don't think you pay Nelson as an RFA. Try to trade or package him for a legit vet3C, ideally on a two-year deal or so. It buys time while some true center's are drafted and hopefully developed.

Then you can put Ladd and Ho-Sang with the new center on the third line and let Cizikas and Clutter play with some mix of MDC, Johnston, Fritz, etc. Whoever earns the job.

You then look to extend Eberle, assuming he continues to play well, and Lee during the 2018-19 season because by then you will know what you have in some of the younger/cheaper players, including Bellows, who I have high hopes for. It also allows for another year to be burned off of Ladd and Clutter's deals.

If Eberle regresses or JHS steps up, you probably trade Eberle or let him walk. But if everything is clicking, maybe you find a taker for the Ladd and/or Clutter contracts by retaining some money, including a draft pick(s) for a cap floor team or a buyout (especially if another strike happens and teams are given some sort of amnesty yet again).

There are definitely some moves that can be made. But one of them, at least to me, is not paying Nelson. I really don't see how he fits long term with inexpensive players like Bellows, MDC, etc. in the system and Ladd making big money already.

Reactions: Taswell

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
No question Eberle has exceeded my expectations. Assuming we sign Tavares, Bailey and Lee I don't know we can afford Eberle along with Ladd Clutter and Casey signed to expensive contracts for their roles. Something has to give. I doubt Isles move Clutter since he is tight with JT. Ladd's contract is buyout proof and I doubt he can be traded. The poorly managed cap will be an issue after next season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I haven't been able to listen yet but the Barstool Sports sponsored podcast called Spittin' Chiclets hosted by ex NHL dman Ryan Whitney and a Boston based sports writer (codename Rear Admiral) have Jordan Eberle on this week's episode.

I'm sure they'll ask him all about Belmont, Johnny and Barzal.

I'd post the link but my company blocks Barstool, understandably...

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I was not a fan, but man was I wrong.

He's been excellent.

Agreed, he's been better than expected. Like many I was bummed about not getting Hall but Ebs has been quite effective as a sniper. Like 90% of the team he is not great in our end...

Reactions: C24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad