Proposal: Jonathan Toews To NYR

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Toews had a career year last season. If you don't follow the Blackhawks, just don't talk about them.
I follow the Blackhawks quite heavily, but thanks. Maybe you noted where I pointed out his excellent past couple seasons while simultaneously questioning whether a 32-35yo hockey player can keep that up.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
If I'm giving up a 1st and two of our top prospects for centre help, it won't be for a guy wildly overpaid on the backside of his career, no matter what kind of resurgence he's had of late.

Reactions: AirGut

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
2nd coming of Mark Messier to the big apple .
Rangers are a team on the rise .
In Need of centre depth and have cap room

Chi
Jonathan Toews

Nyr
Filip Chytil
Brendan Lemieux
which ever Russian goalie
1st rd pick in 2021
Brendan Smith (cap dump)

Too much for Toews ?

Rangers don't have cap room. Money in needs to equal money out. And there's no chance we are trading Shesterkin.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Putting Hajek and Lundkvist as interchangeable pieces really says a lot about the understanding of this proposal
Well I wouldn't see there being MUCH interest in Robertson or Jones, and I really would be willing to part with one of Miller/Hajek/Lundkvist because I don't see all of them panning out to be what we Ranger fans hope. There's times when I feel Lundkvist will be nothing more than a Vatanen Lite which is pretty much just a #4 or 5 D for us going forward. Huge upside in him and Miller that's why it's a big risk.......but there will be a point in the next 3 years where we make a risky trade for someone big. And while Toews maybe isn't the player he once was his assets are more than valuable to the NYR.

And I also think of what STL did when they got ROR. The Rangers really should do something like that in the years coming up. I just feel Toews is almost a perfect fit in our lineup and locker room

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Well I wouldn't see there being MUCH interest in Robertson or Jones, and I really would be willing to part with one of Miller/Hajek/Lundkvist because I don't see all of them panning out to be what we Ranger fans hope. There's times when I feel Lundkvist will be nothing more than a Vatanen Lite which is pretty much just a #4 or 5 D for us going forward. Huge upside in him and Miller that's why it's a big risk.......but there will be a point in the next 3 years where we make a risky trade for someone big. And while Toews maybe isn't the player he once was his assets are more than valuable to the NYR.

And I also think of what STL did when they got ROR. The Rangers really should do something like that in the years coming up. I just feel Toews is almost a perfect fit in our lineup and locker room

Exactly how I feel. He would be a perfect fit and need in the locker room.

That said, it starts with 50% rentention and Lundkvist is off the table.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Change this to Kane, and you might get Rangers fans talking....no one wants Toews, the Hawks are stuck with him.
The only way a team would look at Toews, if there was 50% retention, and that wont happen.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
The only time I’ve seen someone offer too much (even with the retention on Toews).

It’s refreshing to see as a Hawks fan seeing goofy lowballs incessantly right now, but NYR wouldn’t have to go this hard.

1st + Georgiev + serviceable player (Strome or whomever) to have cap coming back to Chicago is probably more than enough.

Sounds about right.

The hawks would retain and get a pick, prospect and roster player.

The first proposal was generous, and I’m a huge Toews fan.

I know you can’t really measure it, but Toews leadership combined with his overall game still being pretty damn good, would make him a great fit on a younger contender.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Change this to Kane, and you might get Rangers fans talking....no one wants Toews, the Hawks are stuck with him.
The only way a team would look at Toews, if there was 50% retention, and that wont happen.
I don't know......Toews at 6-7M for 2-3 years on a young Rangers team seems like a very good match. No team wants Toews at 10 or 9 of course and I don't see Kane being that match for the Rangers, we have too many wingers now. Also I don't see Kane being moved until absolutely necessary. Kane is still a top 10 player in the league I'd say. The letter they put out screams Toews on the move more so than Keith considering they'll probably have to retain more and actually give up assets to actually move the 37 year old.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Hawks keeping Toews makes the most sense- Chicago media is tough, but he won cups, he’s earned a bit of leniency regarding his pay and play. But if he went to NY or anywhere else- it’s too much of a spectacle to cover the risk of it, like that’s the last guy id uproot and hope for the same results. So.. go for it in video games, but leave him be in reality. Works better for Hawks too, any suckage these next two years can kinda tacitly be blamed on the cap and with Toews there’s a “cup-winner, what can ya do?” sorta excuse.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Hawks keeping Toews makes the most sense- Chicago media is tough, but he won cups, he’s earned a bit of leniency regarding his pay and play. But if he went to NY or anywhere else- it’s too much of a spectacle to cover the risk of it, like that’s the last guy id uproot and hope for the same results. So.. go for it in video games, but leave him be in reality. Works better for Hawks too, any suckage these next two years can kinda tacitly be blamed on the cap and with Toews there’s a “cup-winner, what can ya do?” sorta excuse.
Okay but here's the thing, how are you gonna continue forth with a proper rebuild if you aren't going to trade your most valuable assets? What you said applies more so to Kane in my opinion. If you aren't gonna move Toews for future building blocks, than who? Keith? Debrincat? Moving on from Toews as quickly as possible and garnering a package of solid assets to move forward seems like the smartest decision for a GM putting out a letter now telling fans officially that more changes will be made.....changes that hurt. It's like if the Rangers put out the letter they did and never moved McDonagh, why would we have kept one of our best assets for him to leave as UFA? We bit the bullet and took the pain of moving on from our captain to stock the cupboard a bit more and fully dive in to a rebuild. It sounds a lot like Chicago was dipping their toes in the rebuild pool of youth and now they feel comfortable enough to dive right on in. I don't know...….expect something big sooner rather than later

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If somehow this happened and the hawks retain half of Toews deal, they will ask a good package coming back.
Won’t be a great one but will be a good one.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Rangers don't need Kane, as we already have a glut if Wingers, especially if/when Kravtsov shows up.

Keith would just smash the Rangers expansion draft plan.

There's a spot for Toews, but it has to make sense. (50% retention, no Miller or Lindy)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Might as well shop in the premium isle if you have that much cash...go for Barkov

Good pt.
Barkov not likely to be available in 2 yrs, but if for any reason, he wants out, FL has to consider dealing before last min to get something. In that case, still need to have our best assets. Can't squander those on Toews.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Toews is 32 and he'll be 34 at last year of the contract, For this trade to work Chicago has to retain a decent amount and take back can they not sure....but assuming they can retain 50 percent making Toews a 5 mil center for Rangers.....Rangers have to give up something to get the player and the cap part of the trade.....So if it was first round pick top three protection for next yr...If rangers get top 3 that 21 first rounder becomes a 2022 unprotected first and an a prospect like K Miller or Nils L. going back along with Strome.......If they want Georgiev too the Rangers keep their first rounder and the deal becomes Georgiev Strome and one of those two defenseman...... That's a doable trade,,,,,,,Face it if its true he inquired about Eichel then he is looking to do a move but Eichel will cost you a fortune and you will have to overpay there will be no retention because he only 23 and with Barkov except he's up in two years maybe more of chance there but if Florida were to trade him you will have to overpay....If the Hawks were to take Kratsov in the place of one of those two defenseman if i'm the rangers I'd do it because he has a much higher chance of being a bust he;s a bit of a head case and they just got back to back top wingers in the past two drafts

Reactions: AirGut

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
The Eichel and Barkov talk is useless.

They are gonna want LaF (and rightfully so) and we're not giving him up.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Okay but here's the thing, how are you gonna continue forth with a proper rebuild if you aren't going to trade your most valuable assets? What you said applies more so to Kane in my opinion. If you aren't gonna move Toews for future building blocks, than who? Keith? Debrincat? Moving on from Toews as quickly as possible and garnering a package of solid assets to move forward seems like the smartest decision for a GM putting out a letter now telling fans officially that more changes will be made.....changes that hurt. It's like if the Rangers put out the letter they did and never moved McDonagh, why would we have kept one of our best assets for him to leave as UFA? We bit the bullet and took the pain of moving on from our captain to stock the cupboard a bit more and fully dive in to a rebuild. It sounds a lot like Chicago was dipping their toes in the rebuild pool of youth and now they feel comfortable enough to dive right on in. I don't know...….expect something big sooner rather than later

..because it’s Toews and it’d be difficult to do. NYR gives up too much in your original proposal, no way they agree to that, and with Toews’ contract and play.. NYR would need to really want that guy, Chicago would have to agree with your outlook, both sides would have to work around cap- and it’s just easier to leave the Chicago hero in Chicago and let him facilitate the younger guys’ development. I get it, you like Toews and want him in NY- but once again, I just don’t think it’s easy enough or desired enough by the actual teams involved.

Meanwhile Toews has been up and down the past few years, a decline of some degree should be expected given his age- and personally that’s not someone I’d want to trade for and put in a new situation- a guy who’s put all his passion and talent into one team- sometimes adjusting to a new squad isn’t easy. Unless he’s really angry at Hawks management I doubt he’d want to leave or be the same player in a new system, necessarily.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
2nd coming of Mark Messier to the big apple .
Rangers are a team on the rise .
In Need of centre depth and have cap room

Chi
Jonathan Toews

Nyr
Filip Chytil
Brendan Lemieux
which ever Russian goalie
1st rd pick in 2021
Brendan Smith (cap dump)

Too much for Toews ?

sure if the goalie is shestyorkin

Hawks fans on this board: “People keep offering CRAP for our players. Be reasonable jerks!!!!”

Also Hawks fans: “Hey how about Toews for Shesterkin?”

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

There is a huge gap between Hajek ------> Miller --------> Lundkvist

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Toews at 7.5M works for the Rangers if they lose Strome and another 2.5M (Georgiev?). They can sign a cheap backup G for a year.

To NYR:
Toews w/ 3M retained

To Chi:
Strome
Georgiev
Mid-level prospect (Robertson? Jones?)
'21 3rd round pick
'22 conditional 1st (if NYR reach ECF in '21 or '22, otherwise 2nd rounder)

Toews isn't netting anything "sexy" at this point in his career, but he would net several pieces that would aid a rebuild. Assuming Strome could be flipped for a 2nd at the trade deadline, they will net a few picks with a mid level prospect and a young goalie with a bright future. Toews isn't worth more.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Toews at 7.5M works for the Rangers if they lose Strome and another 2.5M (Georgiev?). They can sign a cheap backup G for a year.

To NYR:
Toews w/ 3M retained

To Chi:
Strome
Georgiev
Mid-level prospect (Robertson? Jones?)
'21 3rd round pick
'22 conditional 1st (if NYR reach ECF in '21 or '22, otherwise 2nd rounder)

Toews isn't netting anything "sexy" at this point in his career, but he would net several pieces that would aid a rebuild. Assuming Strome could be flipped for a 2nd at the trade deadline, they will net a few picks with a mid level prospect and a young goalie with a bright future. Toews isn't worth more.

No thanks from the Hawks

Reactions: thesaadfather

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad