Proposal: Jonathan Toews To NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Value of youth can also go down, which I know you've accounted for by inserting presumably, but it does come across as a bit disregarded as a possibility with the approach you lay out. As it stands now, the Rangers have many more prospects who have good value attached to them than expected roster spots on the team moving forward. You might agree with me that a large part of the reason you build deep like this isn't to keep them all, but to utilize some of that depth to make trades.

Maybe we just disagree with timing, but I think you leverage some now without breaking the bank. I remember the discussions around Panarin and whether or not the Rangers should sign him, plenty voiced concern that it wasn't time and to save the money for someone else later. It would have been nice to have been able to wait a year, maybe two, before making a free agent splash like that. But sometimes the timeline doesn't fit a perfect model. My point is you are not guaranteed to have a Toews-level center with his resume and experience available for trade next year, but he might be available now. Sometimes you do things when the opportunity presents itself. Later on, it's too easy to force the wrong player in just because the timing is more "right".

General agree, IMO timing is not right
disagree about Toews availability suggests now or never.
If situation prompts a 'splurge' so to speak, we can consider best options next yr or season after, depending on who that is/what cost is.

Bankable futures, whether picks or youth, = currency always in demand, can't go wrong.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I rate Kravtsov high, but like I said in a prior post, it's more likely that he doesn't match Toews performance from the last 2 seasons. That is not a knock, I just don't see him as a star.

But, to get a deal done, I have to deal someone. Nils isn't on the table for me, and I rather deal Kravtsov than Miller.

It's not like Toews is a washed up vet. He would be a 65 pt. 2C.

Trouba is not getting dealt in the Covid world.

everything you said is reasonable. That said, prefer cost controlled and then beyond Krav for potentially upwards of 10 years than 3 of Toews, plus we are hoping he does not do a Drury and fall apart overnight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad