Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin----Nothing burger edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does he deserve it though? I value Constructive Criticism more than Comeuppance. I had to google the meaning of that work btw lol

Not that constructive, he’s eating out of management’s hand.

Guarantees himself another year of free BC sandwiches.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It almost looks like he spent some time in the offseason improving his game... Maybe he watched tape with a coach and worked to improve his decision making or something. Weird.
It's funny...i'm not noticing any significant changes in his game.

He's got 2 shots on goal in 3 games.

Nothing's really changed in his game except some of his plays have resulted in goal/assists this season when those same plays weren't in the last 20-25 games of last year.

I'm not saying this is good or bad...it just is what it is.

Edit - perhaps the only difference i'm seeing in his game this year is that he's not doing everything on the ice with the highest degree of difficulty/probability of success. Though that's something that's probably always going to be a part of his game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not that constructive, he’s eating out of management’s hand.

Guarantees himself another year of free BC sandwiches.

Not really, he was demoted last year when he failed to put up points in the last 1/3 of the season. If he came into this season and did the same, they would demote him again or possibly even trade him. He is getting the Galchenyuk treatment and can he get out of that hole? We will see but he is off to a good start.

Reactions: dralaf

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Nothing's really changed in his game except some of his plays have resulted in goal/assists this season when those same plays weren't in the last 20-25 games of last year.

Edit - perhaps the only difference i'm seeing in his game this year is that he's not doing everything on the ice with the highest degree of difficulty/probability of success. Though that's something that's probably always going to be a part of his game.

More than anything else, I've noticed that he's not overplaying the puck and he's choosing other options rather than getting steered into the back corners on a lot of his zone entries. I've noted him playing defence with sound positioning more often than not - something that was pretty hit or miss in the past.

He's making more simple plays and using his teammates effectively. Making plays on the strong side of the offensive zone rather than continually trying to force it to weakside with low percentage passes. If he can round out his game and become a less predictable player, I think he's going to be a top line guy in MTL. Far from a guarantee, but promising start.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
More than anything else, I've noticed that he's not overplaying the puck and he's choosing other options rather than getting steered into the back corners on a lot of his zone entries. I've noted him playing defence with sound positioning more often than not - something that was pretty hit or miss in the past.

He's making more simple plays and using his teammates effectively. Making plays on the strong side of the offensive zone rather than continually trying to force it to weakside with low percentage passes. If he can round out his game and become a less predictable player, I think he's going to be a top line guy in MTL. Far from a guarantee, but promising start.
Excellent post.

Reactions: JerryBettman

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Excellent post.

Well thanks! There's more he can do, but the whole package is there for him to make it happen.

Let's just hope it sticks. Drouin has been written out of the equation by a lot of the fanbase and establishing himself as an effective, high end player will be a game changer for this club moving forward. Imagine if, some day in the future, Montreal actually had three legitimate top line players?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Seems a bit more engaged when the puck is not on his stick etc, I like the effort for the most part.

Reactions: 417

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
At the post mortem last season, where it was announced that he'd undergo minor surgery for his nose, he never mentioned that this was what impacted on his performance.

I'll pre-face by saying I don't think it was a major reason for his play.

That said, when do hockey players advertise their injuries as an excuse? Most don't. If it was bad or good, most players wouldn't admit it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll pre-face by saying I don't think it was a major reason for his play.

That said, when do hockey players advertise their injuries as an excuse? Most don't. If it was bad or good, most players wouldn't admit it.

Except that MAG's piece is now saying that it was one of the reasons that impacted on his performance. I wonder where MAG might have gotten that. The player had to have told someone if not to MAG directly.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Except that MAG's piece is now saying that it was one of the reasons that impacted on his performance. I wonder where MAG might have gotten that. The player had to have told someone if not to MAG directly.

I just meant hockey players tend to be secretive about their injuries.

Obviously MAG is trying to take advantage of being the guy to break some scoop about Drouin's few good games but alas, that is journalism of today. The sample is small, the sources are weak but someone will eat it up.

It's sad.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Like I red he’s keeping things simple not trying to deke everyone out there.

Weirdly that seems to be what Domi is doing this year try to deke everyone by himself. Probably because he doesn’t trust his line mates (which is accurate)

That line has been real solid and I don’t understand why they are not used together on the pp ?
Pretty sure Weal has some dirty pictures of Julien or Molson and Is blackmailing them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting stats at LW and where Drouin fell last year...

- 12th most points
- 21st in pt/game
- 7th most points on the PP

Doesn't look at bad and imagine if he didn't have a disappointing end to the season? Of course he is not a power forward beast but he is 24 and signed to a very fair AAV for the next 4 years.

If Kotkaniemi can continue to takes steps to being a top 2C, I can see Drouin increases his production along the same growth curve

Reactions: angusyoung

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing

Great analysis. I find that he is making more plays while moving his feet. Last year he would stop and look for options. Now he looks for options while moving which makes him more dangerous as it opens up more space. He can still do much more of that but it's better than last year.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems a bit more engaged when the puck is not on his stick etc, I like the effort for the most part.

He clearly has not checked out and is committed to do what it takes to improve his game. All good signs but consistency only comes after full season sample sizes.

I think the key is both with Drouin and Kotkaniemi. The need each other IMO

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think Drouin will be that superstar player due to his lack of hockey IQ, but if he busts his ass off every shift, I'm sure he can be a good 1st liner. Don't think it's too late for him to be that guy who works hard as there are players that mature later on into becoming a hard working player. Prime example is Radulov. Everyone knows he's one of the hardest working players in the NHL, but some may forget that he was pretty much the opposite before he left to play in Russia. Of course the circumstances are different, but I'm just saying that it can definitely be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad