Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin----Nothing burger edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Drouin was interviewed by Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé after the game last night. He talked about all the video sessions he did with Ducharme over the summer. Said Ducharme showed him how much more effective he was when he always kept his feet moving, both with and without the puck. To me that's the biggest change in his game this year. Not gliding and floating around, but skating with intensity in all zones. That allows him to challenge defensemen and cut inside instead of staying on the perimeter. I hope it lasts.
5 games. He already “kept moving his feet” for longer stretches last year. His problem always was consistency...let's see how long this lasts.

Reactions: OldCraig71

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The posts challenging the haters in this thread ALMOST make me want to see Drouin revert to his 99.9% career play.

no idea why people who slag off a player endlessly (not you necessarily) resent the 'hater' tag so much. I hated Patrick Traverse. Full Stop. Call me a hater. Who cares lol.

Yeah I get it deep down below the blow hard blow hardiness there's a fan who 'just wants the team to do well' and has oh so high standards for this great organization, so no you're technically not a hater (again not you per se) but really it's not that hyperbolic an epithet if you get to make an indefinite amount of unqualified assumptive takes on a certain player's respective qualia and/or dressing room demeanour with out ANY actual knowledge of these things--then the 'hater' tag should be one that the more rabid detractors should just live with and own.

Reactions: bouquet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
no idea why people who slag off a player endlessly (not you necessarily) resent the 'hater' tag so much. I hated Patrick Traverse. Full Stop. Call me a hater. Who cares lol.

Yeah I get it deep down below the blow hard blow hardiness there's a fan who 'just wants the team to do well' and has oh so high standards for this great organization, so no you're technically not a hater (again not you per se) but really it's not that hyperbolic an epithet if you get to make an indefinite amount of unqualified assumptive takes on a certain player's respective qualia and/or dressing room demeanour with out ANY actual knowledge of these things--then the 'hater' tag should be one that the more rabid detractors should just live with and own.

Can you really hate on someone when youre reflecting facts ? Drouin was horrible, I mean, worse than Weal kinda bad for like 150 games. Hes brought the hate on himself and had shown absolutely no progression. Call it being pessimistic, I call it being realistic.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He needed to get off to a good start and he has............let's hope he gains more confidence as he goes through the season.....talent has never been his issue. It's early but ya gotta like what ya see so far. It's an 82 game season...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Can you really hate on someone when youre reflecting facts ? Drouin was horrible, I mean, worse than Weal kinda bad for like 150 games. Hes brought the hate on himself and had shown absolutely no progression. Call it being pessimistic, I call it being realistic.

So he was inexplicably bad when put in a position he had no business playing? And when he was pacing close to Domi points wise? Ups and downs and Jekyll and Hyde play isn't 'worse than Weal'. There was moments of brilliance mixed with absolute stupidity but through all that he was still pacing for 70 pts. That's not worse than Weal. That's hardly objective. Biasing the negative and hand waving any positive (which happens on this board all the time) isn't some cool, scientific 'weighing of facts'.

People get heated on here and it's fine but you can't claim that all these takes are mere 'reflections on facts'.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So he was inexplicably bad when put in a position he had no business playing? And when he was pacing close to Domi points wise? Ups and downs and Jekyll and Hyde play isn't 'worse than Weal'. There was moments of brilliance mixed with absolute stupidity but through all that he was still pacing for 70 pts. That's not worse than Weal. That's hardly objective. Biasing the negative and hand waving any positive (which happens on this board all the time) isn't some cool, scientific 'weighing of facts'.

People get heated on here and it's fine but you can't claim that all these takes are mere 'reflections on facts'.

You dont see a difference between this Drouin and the one from the rest of his career? He has never played like this.

I hated on him every single game of his career, not becaude Im a hater, but because he was bad. I wouldnt change my narrative after 5 games if he were playing the same as last year, hes completly revamped his playing style. This isnt Jekyll and Hyde, its going from a guy that played a very mediocre brand of hockey even when he produced at a PPG clip to playing like the best forward this team has had since Lafleur. No one couldve predicted that. Absolutely no one. Lets hope he keeps it up for sure, and Ill be the first to call him what he is, but lets not rewrite history and say that he even showed anything remotely close to what hes showing right now.

Reactions: PhysicX

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You dont see a difference between this Drouin and the one from the rest of his career? He has never played like this.

I hated on him every single game of his career, not becaude Im a hater, but because he was bad. I wouldnt change my narrative after 5 games if he were playing the same as last year, hes completly revamped his playing style. This isnt Jekyll and Hyde, its going from a guy that played a very mediocre brand of hockey even when he produced at a PPG clip to playing like the best forward this team has had since Lafleur. No one couldve predicted that. Absolutely no one. Lets hope he keeps it up for sure, and Ill be the first to call him what he is, but lets not rewrite history and say that he even showed anything remotely close to what hes showing right now.

Never said he did play like this before. The Jekyll and Hyde remark was specifically about last year.

He's absolutely revamped his style but that doesn't mean he was as bad as you said he was last year. Not 'worse than Weal'. Again there were moments where he dazzled but also moments of 'wow that pass was beyond stupid' yet he still was not far behind Domi in scoring for a good chunk of the year.

The improvement is big and significant but he wasn't uniformly awful last year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think we got our channels crossed. I thought your original post was aimed at the poster who was complaining about all those pre-season complaints about Drouin.

It was. Then, I attempted some humor based on your post and evidently, I failed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Never said he did play like this before. The Jekyll and Hyde remark was specifically about last year.

He's absolutely revamped his style but that doesn't mean he was as bad as you said he was last year. Not 'worse than Weal'. Again there were moments where he dazzled but also moments of 'wow that pass was beyond stupid' yet he still was not far behind Domi in scoring for a good chunk of the year.

The improvement is big and significant but he wasn't uniformly awful last year.

He didn't dazzle me. It was more of the same with Drouin and when he produced, it was mostly luck

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Completely disagree with the notion that those who hold whatever view, need to be labeled. Qualify the post not the poster — fans’s views can evolve when presented with new compelling data, so they could well be on the other side over time. The hater tag is just juvenile flaming that far too many times only escalates into petty arguments.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
i don't understand ; you talk about reflecting facts , than you bring something largely, largely exaggerated

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
At the end of the day, we all want the Habs to succeed. If Drouin helps the cause, im sure everyone here will be happy about it.

Now if MB somehow managed to win a cup on the other hand... I'm pretty sure it would destroy HF

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Play a couple nice games and Habs fans will talk about cherishing you as a God.

HF is a graveyard for recency bias and small sample sizes. It’s like a race to try and be ahead of the curve so that one can use it as some kind of accomplishment. It’s an empty pursuit, I prefer to not rush to judgment as more often than not, making definitive assessments in sports is a humbling experience.

Reactions: CH25

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
In 2019 being a realist is automatically seen/perceived as negativity even if the situation is bad, it's almost seen as terrible to call things as they are. I just watched the joker movie last night and before going I looked online for viewer feedback about the movie and I could not believe the number of posts/accounts of people walking out of the movie because it was considered harsh or overtly violent. I am the type of person that is never swayed by opinions of others and I wanted to see it for myself, I am glad that I did. The performance of Phoenix and the physical lengths that he went through to nail the part were a thing of beauty for me, the story was dark and uncomfortable at times but that's okay because it's not all sunshine and rainbows, there is beauty in struggle and in tragedy.

I despise the term "hater" but I appreciate the people that wave pom pom's, there is room for all of us, and to try and pit one against the other is not very intelligent, differing points of view are what make a community great and it is a very "tiny" individual that tries to proclaim such things, I enjoy your views because they are yours and this board needs it and in the same way, I appreciate the views of people that I disagree with because at times their words leave me questioning my own stance on things and that's a good thing. Enough from me, just my two cents.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In 2019 being a realist is automatically seen/perceived as negativity even if the situation is bad, it's almost seen as terrible to call things as they are. I just watched the joker movie last night and before going I looked online for viewer feedback about the movie and I could not believe the number of posts/accounts of people walking out of the movie because it was considered harsh or overtly violent. I am the type of person that is never swayed by opinions of others and I wanted to see it for myself, I am glad that I did. The performance of Phoenix and the physical lengths that he went through to nail the part were a thing of beauty for me, the story was dark and uncomfortable at times but that's okay because it's not all sunshine and rainbows, there is beauty in struggle and in tragedy.

I despise the term "hater" but I appreciate the people that wave pom pom's, there is room for all of us, and to try and pit one against the other is not very intelligent, differing points of view are what make a community great and it is a very "tiny" individual that tries to proclaim such things, I enjoy your views because they are yours and this board needs it and in the same way, I appreciate the views of people that I disagree with because at times their words leave me questioning my own stance on things and that's a good thing. Enough from me, just my two cents.

In other news: Old man yells at clouds

:sarcasm:

Agree with you.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Drouin was interviewed by Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé after the game last night. He talked about all the video sessions he did with Ducharme over the summer. Said Ducharme showed him how much more effective he was when he always kept his feet moving, both with and without the puck. To me that's the biggest change in his game this year. Not gliding and floating around, but skating with intensity in all zones. That allows him to challenge defensemen and cut inside instead of staying on the perimeter. I hope it lasts.

I didn’t hear the interview however if it were me, I’d say less about the process and more about praising teammates, how it’s still early, happy but there’s a lot of work to do etc. He should know by now how quickly things can revert so saying less about yourself at this early stage is more.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
nice to see him having a great start to the season... even better that his play overall, and not just points, has been very solid.

Now the challenge begins. Does the team, or anyone, believe that this is a sign that he's putting it together, turning a corner, and will be consistently (including post-deadline when the play gets tougher) a solid top-line player that produces at a ppg pace.... in which case he's an obvious keeper.

or, do you let him keep upping his trade value and then move him once a solid offer comes through, to avoid the risk of him reverting back to his old self as the season wears on and the grind affects his early season motivation?

from the outside, I'm still on the sell high side... but without being able to see the guy's behaviour and actions day-in/day-out at practice, hard to make any kind of strong assessment of anything more than the in-game showings, which are obviously tantalizing right now...

admittedly, a tough decision for any GM... sucks that the one making the call on it has shown himself to be a pretty terrible judge of pro level top-6/top-4 talent and progression.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
HF is a graveyard for recency bias and small sample sizes. It’s like a race to try and be ahead of the curve so that one can use it as some kind of accomplishment. It’s an empty pursuit, I prefer to not rush to judgment as more often than not, making definitive assessments in sports is a humbling experience.
It's pretty funny to see..
Everyone knows this guy's issue is consistency but people are willing to give him the key of the city after 5 games loll

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Everyone knows this guy's issue is consistency but people are willing to give him the key of the city after 5 games loll
Its tough to do but he's never looked even close to that in his career. If he was just being lucky as usual Id be crapping on him, he's not.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its tough to do but he's never looked even close to that in his career. If he was just being lucky as usual Id be crapping on him, he's not.
Its five games mate. Ya he looks good so far..let's see how that persists.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Too soon to say if he can keep it up or not, if he can it is a win for everyone but 5 games is not enough to wipe out 300 NHL games where he was visibly inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->