Jonas Brodin

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Totally a cliche, but the kid plays like a 10-year vet. One of our best Dman every single night since he's joined us.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
First nhlgame im seeing him in tonight, how did he get the balls to jump into plays like that? :laugh:
Maybe easier to trick all these american players then the swedes back home? :sarcasm:

Billy Mays Here*

Kid has proved without a doubt that he'll be a mainstay with the Wild for quite a while. To be playing top pairing minutes with Ryan Suter is quite an accomplishment for a 19 year old.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't see the huge gap between Brodin and Klefbom. And yes it was a surprise, but I'm sure Av fans thank you for it. I would have Siemens over Brodin all day every day.

Glad they took him... Murphy to Canes... Thanks Minny

Two interesting quotes; Klefblom has been plagued with injuries. Siemens has been mediocre. And Murphy has been...well Murphy.

But Brodin is now in the NHL and Siemens and Murphy are still in the CHL.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Saw some of the Wild game the other night and I was MIGHTILY impressed with this kid. So much so that, even as a Pens' fan with our defensive depth' I was very jealous. :)

This kid can skate like the wind, seems to have tremendous instincts, poise and confidence; and a bit more inherent offensive uspdie/awareness than he was given credit for at the time of the draft.

I'm not sure if he'll ever produce the kind of offense that a guy like, say, Dimitry Kulikov will, but in all other aspects of the game, he appears to have similar kind of potential overall. Perhaps a rich man's Paul Martin? (much better skater, too)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Two interesting quotes; Klefblom has been plagued with injuries. Siemens has been mediocre. And Murphy has been...well Murphy.

But Brodin is now in the NHL and Siemens and Murphy are still in the CHL.

I'm not going to get into a discussion, but that's a bad argument, Matteau is in the NHL, doesn't mean he's better than the guys who went around him necessarily.

Base it on merit and potential, not who makes the show first.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not going to get into a discussion, but that's a bad argument, Matteau is in the NHL, doesn't mean he's better than the guys who went around him necessarily.

Youngest defenseman in the league, averaging almost 22 minutes per game, and playing on the top pairing; many would even say "outplaying" the $7.5m guy next to him.

Done.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
First nhlgame im seeing him in tonight, how did he get the balls to jump into plays like that? :laugh:
Maybe easier to trick all these american players then the swedes back home? :sarcasm:

I'm not too surprised, when you can skate like him you should use it to your advantage at every chance. What people have to realize with the numbers in the SEL, is that most coaches don't allow or preach their defensemen to jump into plays. Only the one or two offensive guys get a bit of a free role. It's not like in North America where just about any defenseman will join the rush to create an odd man situation. And of course the game in NA is far more north-south by default.

Anyway, it's nice to see that confidence even after a long injury layoff.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Youngest defenseman in the league, averaging almost 22 minutes per game, and playing on the top pairing; many would even say "outplaying" the $7.5m guy next to him.

Done.

Sounds familiar. 19 year old playing top pairing minutes alongside older, higher paid veterans. Must mean he's better than most players drafted around him right? Like Schenn was this guy, they said he was better than Pietrangelo, Doughty, that he was a number one defensemen at 19.

Let's wait till guys like Larsson, Hamilton, Siemens, Murphy etc before we anoint a player better, I don't mind you saying you think he will be better but to make the decision now? We'll see.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sounds familiar. 19 year old playing top pairing minutes alongside older, higher paid veterans. Must mean he's better than most players drafted around him right? Like Schenn was this guy, they said he was better than Pietrangelo, Doughty, that he was a number one defensemen at 19.

Let's wait till guys like Larsson, Hamilton, Siemens, Murphy etc before we anoint a player better, I don't mind you saying you think he will be better but to make the decision now? We'll see.

Brodin earned his spot on the 1st pairing. You make it sound like it was gift wrapped. I won't comment on the others as I haven't seen them play but Brodin has the makings of something very special.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Yes, but at this current point in time, you'd have to be a near lunatic to select Siemens or Murphy over Brodin.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Question for you, since this isn't the first time I've seen you trying to knock Jonas Brodin. Have you seen him play in the NHL yet?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Question for you, since this isn't the first time I've seen you trying to knock Jonas Brodin. Have you seen him play in the NHL yet?

You're reffering to the last thread on Brodin where I said he wasn't a first pairing yet after four games. I guess that means I'm bashing him?

Yes I've seen him. Nor will I change my opinion in the regard.

Question for you, why do people act like if you don't say the same homer/insanely postive comments about a player, it's "bashing"?

Brodin earned his spot on the 1st pairing. You make it sound like it was gift wrapped. I won't comment on the others as I haven't seen them play but Brodin has the makings of something very special.

So did Schenn. Didn't make him automatically better than players picked around him, nor does it with Brodin.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're reffering to the last thread on Brodin where I said he wasn't a first pairing yet after four games. I guess that means I'm bashing him?

Yes I've seen him. Nor will I change my opinion in the regard.

Question for you, why do people act like if you don't say the same homer/insanely postive comments about a player, it's "bashing"?

I never used the term bashing. I said knock. I realize he's only played four games in the NHL, but it's not like this praise is new for him, and those four games were all we had (now up to 8, and nothing has changed). He's always been praised as an extremely solid defender with amazing positioning, stick-work, decision-making, and hockey IQ all the poise and confidence in the world. This isn't just Wild fans saying this either, it's Swedish Olympians, players that have seen him play, watched him play, and coached him.

You don't have to take a homer stance, or speak overly positive in regards to him, but he has done nothing but impress so far. He makes all the right moves. Where would you say the weakness in his game is? Hitting? Lidstrom didn't hit. Scoring? The Wild don't score. So tell me what it is, please.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

That's the thing though; Brodin has made the NHL because the Wild believed (and rightly) that he was ready for the big game. That his progression and his play was ready for the NHL. That he didn't have much more to gain in the SEL/AHL.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't trade him for any of the 2010, 2011 or 2012 defensemen draftees.

Well, I wouldn't go that far yet. Gudbranson, Fowler, Faulk, Larsson, Hamilton, Rielly and Lindholm, Trouba and possibly Reinhart, Murray or Pouliot all have the chance to be as good or better than Brodin.

It's a little early to make such statements, and while I understand the sentiment, there's probably a few guys on that list that might already be a clear upgrade from Brodin from some scouts' perspectives.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, I wouldn't go that far yet. Gudbranson, Fowler, Faulk, Larsson, Hamilton, Rielly and Lindholm, Trouba and possibly Reinhart, Murray or Pouliot all have the chance to be as good or better than Brodin.

It's a little early to make such statements, and while I understand the sentiment, there's probably a few guys on that list that might already be a clear upgrade from Brodin from some scouts' perspectives.

And at the same time, Brodin could be better than all of them as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yes they do but, at this point in time I wouldn't want to take that chance.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Possibly (Larsson is the big one along with Trouba). But as Brodin is playing at such a high level in the NHL already and is still growing and developing, I rather take the known than the potential.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
And at the same time, Brodin could be better than all of them as well.

Isn't that exactly what I said? "have the chance to be as good or better" and that it's too early to say. I don't see how it's hard to understand my statement.

What I mean is that right now all of those guys "appear" to be in the conversation, together, of who could be the best player from that group. And at the same time, I guarantee you that if you polled scouts right now, some may say they would keep Brodin, and some may already say that they'd rather have Trouba, Rielly, Lindholm or someone else on that list. We're talking about 18 to 20 year old guys who are 6 months to 2.5 years removed from being drafted. It's too early to say anything definitive yet.

Possibly (Larsson is the big one along with Trouba). But as Brodin is playing at such a high level in the NHL already and is still growing and developing, I rather take the known than the potential.

Nobody is holding a gun to Fletcher's head saying you have to make a decision on a trade right now. This is a hypothetical discussion about who may be the best player to emerge from the last 3 drafts.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I never used the term bashing. I said knock. I realize he's only played four games in the NHL, but it's not like this praise is new for him, and those four games were all we had (now up to 8, and nothing has changed). He's always been praised as an extremely solid defender with amazing positioning, stick-work, decision-making, and hockey IQ all the poise and confidence in the world. This isn't just Wild fans saying this either, it's Swedish Olympians, players that have seen him play, watched him play, and coached him.

You don't have to take a homer stance, or speak overly positive in regards to him, but he has done nothing but impress so far. He makes all the right moves. Where would you say the weakness in his game is? Hitting? Lidstrom didn't hit. Scoring? The Wild don't score. So tell me what it is, please.

No, you used knock which means the exact same thing.

Yes this praise is new for him. I had never seen anyone claim before he played those 4 games that he would be one of the best defensemen in the NHL immedietly when he entered the NHL

You don't have to be a homer to talk about a player in positive manner, but you do to say the things that have had Brodin said about him. People are all but saying he's hall of fame bound and a future perenial Norris winner. Way too soon to give him that kind of praise, he's doing great, but on the flip side it's only 8 games. Schenn looked like a number one defensemen early on, praise that he really didn't deserve given his small track record. Wait before you anoint him such an amazing player. He may become one, but he is absolutely not one after 8 games.

You're pretty much telling me that if I don't give him that praise, it means I'm attacking him. Pretty much the only thing I've said on this top is his sample size is far too early to give him this kind of praise. Players have got this kind of praise over much longer streches then Brodin and it doesn't mean they warranted it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, you used knock which means the exact same thing.

Yes this praise is new for him. I had never seen anyone claim before he played those 4 games that he would be one of the best defensemen in the NHL immedietly when he entered the NHL

You don't have to be a homer to talk about a player in positive manner, but you do to say the things that have had Brodin said about him. People are all but saying he's hall of fame bound and a future perenial Norris winner. Way too soon to give him that kind of praise, he's doing great, but on the flip side it's only 8 games. Schenn looked like a number one defensemen early on, praise that he really didn't deserve given his small track record. Wait before you anoint him such an amazing player. He may become one, but he is absolutely not one after 8 games.

You're pretty much telling me that if I don't give him that praise, it means I'm attacking him. Pretty much the only thing I've said on this top is his sample size is far too early to give him this kind of praise. Players have got this kind of praise over much longer streches then Brodin and it doesn't mean they warranted it.

That clearly was not the praise I was talking about. In fact, I actually said this word for word in the post you just quoted.

He's always been praised as an extremely solid defender with amazing positioning, stick-work, decision-making, and hockey IQ all the poise and confidence in the world. This isn't just Wild fans saying this either, it's Swedish Olympians, players that have seen him play, watched him play, and coached him.

Not one word in there about the Hall of Fame or Norris Trophies.

And you have yet to provide an actual reason that he isn't a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he's only played eight games, despite the fact that he's actually playing on the top pairing, and looking amazing doing so. You haven't pointed out any flaws in his game, you haven't posted any evidence proving otherwise. You've seen (I'm guessing) one of his NHL games (when the Wild played the Stars), and you claim to be an expert on the topic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad