Jonas Brodin

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I said this quite some time ago in some thread, but I think Bruce Driver comes to my mind with some more upside. Brodin is ++ as a skater, but awesome positioning and stickwork with some offensive potential gives the resemblence for me. I can also see why some would compare him as a poor mans Lidstrom with some of the traits he has.

Bruce Driver was very good with his stick and positioning, but an awful skater. I haven't seen him play outside of the WJC, and Kenny Johnson sounds like a pretty good comparsion. Thinks the game well, doesn't make mistakes.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Potentially Erik Karlsson lite. At the same age, he seems better defensively, but not as good offensively as Karlsson. Very similar body types.

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
His upside is huge, but on the downfall, he might be a Tom Gilbert with better skating and less turn overs. Kenny Jönsson I would say is a quite good comparable.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Potentially Erik Karlsson lite. At the same age, he seems better defensively, but not as good offensively as Karlsson. Very similar body types.

I don't think Karlsson. Brodin doesn't put up too many points and still needs to develop a quick snap shot. Brodin is about as polished defensively as you could ask, but not nearly offensively enough as Karlsson. And Brodin is the same height and within 2 pounds of Lidstrom when he broke into the league. I think Lidstrom lite is perfect, I just don't see Brodin ever being that potent on the offensive end.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I don't think Karlsson. Brodin doesn't put up too many points and still needs to develop a quick snap shot. Brodin is about as polished defensively as you could ask, but not nearly offensively enough as Karlsson. And Brodin is the same height and within 2 pounds of Lidstrom when he broke into the league. I think Lidstrom lite is perfect, I just don't see Brodin ever being that potent on the offensive end.

I actually really like Brodin's offensive potential, he is deceptively shifty along the blue line and is very good at getting his shot through and around defenders for tips right now. With some additional strength those shots might be going in like they have in international play. I can't speak too much as to why he didn't have big numbers for Farjestad but his WJC and WC offensive play was quite outstanding, I also know that he had displayed some solid offensive skills before playing with men so maybe a little size and seasoning will give him that offensive boost at the NHL level.

In any case with his skating and smarts I think the sky is the limit for Jonas, easily one of the best defensive prospects I have seen in a long time in terms of hockey sense and his skating makes even a guy like Leddy look sloppy.

SauceHockey

Retired
Jun 6, 2011
p
Top pairing guy. He obviously needs to improve his offensive game but his intelligent player who does not need to over power someone defensively. He is a very good decision maker

Billy Mays Here*

Like I said on the Wild board, if he could turn into the next OEL I'd be more than happy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodin is such an effortless skater it's crazy... sooooo smooth!

He's great positionally, but needs to learn to be a bit more aggressive offensively. I think he wasn't asked to do much offensively in the SEL, he's capable of so much more.

As others have mentioned... he could end up a poor man's Lidstrom, top pairing D-man. Can't wait for the day when Brodin and Dumba are playing together, their games are tailor made for each other!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The players who played with him describe him as Kenny Jonsson. I'd like to think a Lidstrom-Lite. He's never disappointed and my favorite prospect.

Well, the biggest difference is that the latter had elite offensive output. In terms of defense, both very smooth and smart. That being said, Lindholm is more the guy I'd compare to Jonsson.

But really, most Swedish D's have some similarities. Good skaters, often stick rather than body and usually labeled as two-way guys. That's how they are schooled to play. Brodin is just on the extreme end of smoothness.

Ebbisen

Jun 5, 2012
Lurking the HF board
Really good hockey IQ, awesome skater and can deliver a great first pass. Was really impressive in the WC. I remember a one on one with Malkin, where he did a great read and stripped Malkin of the puck

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Karlsson, Hedman, OEL, Larsson, Brodin, Rundblad, Klefbom & Erixon.

Sweet future.

Having said that, Brodin could be anything from a Calle Johansson-type of player, to one sniffing the future Norris trophies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad