Jonas Brodin

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Brodin does not qualify as a "sleeper". He has been consistently held in higher regard than Klefbom for a couple of years now, up to and including Klefbom's meteoric rise. In fact, Brodin spent a significant amount of time slated above Zibanejad as Sweden's #2 prospect.

Overwatch

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
From what I've seen and heard it was definitely a surprise. He's considered a lesser version of Klefbom talent-wise but you never know.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Better than the Canucks at least.

Hackett, Bulmer, Zucker, Granlund, Larsson, Kuemper in the past two years :p

I know this is OT but I can't help but respond to the Canucks jab...

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, and Schneider...how many key draft picks does Minny currently have on their roster and how do they compare?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I was shocked. I knew top 15 was a possibility...but not top 10 with those key guys still on the board..

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
I know this is OT but I can't help but respond to the Canucks jab...

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, and Schneider...how many key draft picks does Minny currently have on their roster and how do they compare?

You missed the word lately in the originial post.

The Wild have had a couple really good draft years recently (specially 2010).

You are right though, vancouvers 99 draft destroys the wild's 99 draft

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
You missed the word lately in the originial post.

The Wild have had a couple really good draft years recently (specially 2010).

You are right though, vancouvers 99 draft destroys the wild's 99 draft

Yep. Not one of the players we picked in 99 ever played a single game at the NHL level. Pathetic draft for us.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I actually had him being pegged to the Wild at #10

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bordin is a Minnesota type of player, more so than Murphy. Siemens and Beaulieu were ranked below Brodin in Bob Mackenzie's final rankings. Brodin was 10 on the list. I don't think it's a hugh surprise.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I don't see the huge gap between Brodin and Klefbom. And yes it was a surprise, but I'm sure Av fans thank you for it. I would have Siemens over Brodin all day every day.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well Siemens and Brodin will be interesting to watch. Different type of players. And Brodin is fairly young as a player and yet playing against men.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
From what I've seen and heard it was definitely a surprise. He's considered a lesser version of Klefbom talent-wise but you never know.

How do ou figure that? From descriptions, the two players do not seem very similar at all - Klefbom is considered toolsy, but without great hockey sense, whereas Brodin lacks any very strong tools but is considered to have great hockey IQ. Also, he has consistently been rated above Klefbom the whole season. There's been several indications he'd be drafted somehwere around 10th, f.e. Bob McKenzie's pre-draft rating.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Hockey IQ seems to be a recurrent theme with Fletcher's picks. I like what I hear about this kid's game. It's feasible to get stronger, but getting smarter ain't that easy. :)

Add in the fact he skates very well, and I can envision a role for him.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

By whom? No, seriously... by whom? Klefbom has spent all year rising like a rocket and playing catchup with Brodin, and STILL didn't attract the same attention that Brodin obviously did. In any event, they have completely different approaches to how they play, and are hard to directly compare. Suffice to say, though, that Brodin has absolutely everything instinctual that coaches wish they could teach, and can do everything at top speed. Klefbom is more someone who has fairly recently learned how to be most effective with the physique he was given. Klefbom might be the more obvious choice as a "better athlete", but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Brodin still ended up the better hockey player at the NHL level.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just dropping by to let you know that, from what I saw at the U-18, I felt he was a very complete and heady player.

He was a rock in his own end and was very good in the transition. He also was surprisingly creative on the PP. I thought he could do a bit of everything.

Although it's easy to think of him as a reach, I do think he's gotta a career as a solid NHL Dman ahead of him. This was a real good year for Swedish defensemen, and Swedes in general.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
tools aside which Brodin wins because of his skating, iq, vision, the only negative about Brodin is his size, he needs to add strength, like many of the 17 year olds which won't be hard to do and also he plays a game with his head so being a ripped beast isn't required, ever watch Spurgeon the kid is barely 5 foot, Bruno had to carry his hockey bag because its heavier then him yet he was very solid on defense because of his smarts of how to attack a player and use of his stick to break up plays.

As a Wild fan quite satisfied with the pick, plus the big difference between Brodin and Klefbom is Brodin played 42 games for SEL and also 14 playoff game, he was clearly trusted to do so and showed he can hold his own.

edgevolution

GO USA!
Apr 7, 2010
State of Hockey
tools aside which Brodin wins because of his skating, iq, vision, the only negative about Brodin is his size, he needs to add strength, like many of the 17 year olds which won't be hard to do and also he plays a game with his head so being a ripped beast isn't required, ever watch Spurgeon the kid is barely 5 foot, Bruno had to carry his hockey bag because its heavier then him yet he was very solid on defense because of his smarts of how to attack a player and use of his stick to break up plays.

As a Wild fan quite satisfied with the pick, plus the big difference between Brodin and Klefbom is Brodin played 42 games for SEL and also 14 playoff game, he was clearly trusted to do so and showed he can hold his own.

Is that actually true? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad