Jonas Brodin

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
ohhhh i didn't even click on the link before. I thought you started a new thread something like "Jonas Brodin = Karlsson"

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?

So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
That clearly was not the praise I was talking about. In fact, I actually said this word for word in the post you just quoted.

Not one word in there about the Hall of Fame or Norris Trophies.

And you have yet to provide an actual reason that he isn't a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he's only played eight games, despite the fact that he's actually playing on the top pairing, and looking amazing doing so. You haven't pointed out any flaws in his game, you haven't posted any evidence proving otherwise. You've seen (I'm guessing) one of his NHL games (when the Wild played the Stars), and you claim to be an expert on the topic.

I'm talking about the fanbase in general, in other threads, discussions, whatever. And reread what I said. "People are all but saying he's hall of fame bound and a future perenial Norris winner". In other words, they've giving him so much praise it's as if they're saying that. I've seen Niklas Lidstrom comparisons, you brought up the one of people saying he's better than Suter.

I don't need to tell you why he's not as good as Wild fans say he is, because it should be obvious. You're telling me, that after less than 10 NHL games played, you can tell how good he's going to be, how good he is now, and say it definitely without challenge. Is Vanek the best player in the NHL? Is Craig Anderson the best goalie in the league? History has proved that even a full NHL season may be too small a sample size to gauge how good a player is, let alone eight games.

I'm not pointing out flaws in his game because I don't care, I'm not crtiquing Brodin's game. I'm not saying "well he can't be this because of so and so and this is true because of this and that", I'm saying that the praise he is getting is far too much for how little he has played. You're acting like he's the Calder runaway, best defensive prospect in hockey and everyone should be marvelling that you have a top 10 NHL defensemen who's only played 8 games of NHL hockey. Too soon, too soon, too soon.

Instead of acting like I'm telling you he's a horrible player with no reason, how about you prove to me why 8 games in you can give an accurate assesment of his future. Luke Schenn got the same praise (Actually more because the Wild have one of if not the smallest fanbase on these boards) when he was 19. Myers was called the next great NHL defensemen. Steve Mason was seriously considered for the 2010 Olympics Starter job after his season. Brodin is playing great and I'm sure he's a great player but there is no precedent and no reason to justify that 8 games in you can tell that he will be the player, Wild fans say he will be.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?
So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.

Brodin has actually been carrying Suter ever since Brodin's 2nd professional game. It is absurd, that a rookie is outplaying a $98 million dollar FA, but its happening. :amazed:

Overall, Minnesota fans are very very happy with Brodin's play,and hope he continues to progress/evolve over the next couple years. :yo:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.

Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?

Same reason people argue for Datsyuk over players with way higher point totals and flashier stats.

Fact of the matter is Brodin impacts the game in a huge way that doesn't show up in box scores.

Since he stepped into the NHL he has been head and shoulders better over any D on our team. Haters gonna hate.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.
I didn't say he was exactly like him. He pretty much has the same role in the team.

BTW, how many games have you seen Brodin play? He's far from looking like a 19 year old at least.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Plus, you guys can have your Ryan Murphy's and Dougje Hamiltons and what not. I don't even care how good of players they are I'll take Brodin...

Why? Because Brodin is an amazing player.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?

In terms of how he stabilizes the defense, stabilizes Suter, allows Suter to be more offensive, and the fcr that he's the only defender on the team that can consistently get shots through to the net and find guys in stride consistently to break out through the neutral zone...Yes.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Brodin has been the best Wild defenseman since his first game. And it hasn't been close.

Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

No, it's really not close Suter has not played anywhere close to the level that he was earlier in his career...not defensively at least. He's not even anywhere close really either.

MAybe I'm overstating it a bit but...

mkoivu9*

Living up to his Lidstrom comparisons so far... Keep it up Jonas Bro.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Brodin has taken leaps and bounds of development and made a sometimes impossible transition for a teenage into the NHL as a defenseman and ran with it. He plays on the top pairing and in every situation. He has turned Ryan Suter and his 98 million dollar contract into a much better player.

Thats right a 19 year old is making a 98 million dollar perennial all star, olympian etc...a much better player instantly.

Oh yeah and he hasn't even played 10 games in the league.

Guy is a stud. His development curve has certainly hit the fast lane and hasn't took a step back one bit. He hit the NHL running and isn't looking back.

I'd take him right now over your Larsson, Reilly, Rienhart, Trouba, Gudbranson, Lindholm.

People that nag on the kid really just need to watch him play...for instance tonight I watched the game online with the Calgary station because I get annoyed of the homerism that the Wild announcers give and Im not a big fan of the new play by play guy.

They raved about Brodin throughout the game and went on and on about him. I can't wait to watch the game on TSN tomorrow and see what they have to say about him. The NBC guys were no different. Its not just Wild fans getting giddy about their new toy.

This kid is the real deal..if you haven't seen it yet well you will.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.

Try reading again, nobody said Brodin is as important as Karlsson, they said Brodin is as important to the Wild as Karlsson is to the Senators.

Big difference.

Brodin is easily the MVP of the Wild roster in the short season thus far. Do we hope his level of play continues and keeps that title? Absolutely, and he's shown no signs for anyone to doubt that it will either.

Brodin is not at Karlsson's level, but considering the Wild's defense, he's becoming every bit the important player to the Wild that Karlsson is to the Senators.

Maybe it's as much of an indictment to the rest of the Wild's defensemen as it is praise on the 19 yr old kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->