Jonas Brodin

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Jonas Brodin Offensive Upside

10th overall seemed like a bit of a reach to me when the Wild snagged this smooth Swedish defender. He never really impressed me when I watched him this past year, but maybe that was a good thing because he was always mistake-free.

One of the biggest knocks against him was the fact that he may never actually produce offensively at a high level.

With that being said, he's very mobile and a good puck mover overall.

Will the offense follow this kid to Minnesota? What totals might be expected? Will he ever he a 35+ point defender?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I think a lot of the supposed knocks on Jonas Brodin's offensive game is from people watching the stat line from his SEL season this year.

He's a good puck-mover, great skater, sound decision-maker, and that should be good for some assists at the NHL level. It's all circumstancial though, especially for a guy that's likely not a first unit power play guy because of the lack of a great slapper.

He definitely isn't written off from putting up Matt Carle-numbers or something like that.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
he should be a 35+ point dman, he put up good numbers when playing vs his own age. scouts said his shot needs more developing which he can do, but with his smarts and passing and vision he should be able to create mostly assists.

Also one of his strengths was his outlet pass which gets his team attacking well, if he springs breakaways and 2-1's his points should be there.

still he's like 170 lbs now, he's 6'01 so he can stand to put on 40ish pounds which can make a big difference in how good his shot is.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I think a lot of the supposed knocks on Jonas Brodin's offensive game is from people watching the stat line from his SEL season this year.

He's a good puck-mover, great skater, sound decision-maker, and that should be good for some assists at the NHL level. It's all circumstancial though, especially for a guy that's likely not a first unit power play guy because of the lack of a great slapper.

He definitely isn't written off from putting up Matt Carle-numbers or something like that.

You dont always have to have a good slapper to be on the first unit. If he's a notch above everyone else in decision making then he'll be there.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
You dont always have to have a good slapper to be on the first unit. If he's a notch above everyone else in decision making then he'll be there.

Sure, you've got your Kaberles and your Timonens who might not have the best shots, or should I say, don't use it enough to make it count, but then you need to be really great in other areas and I'm not sure Brodin will be that much better than everyone else in those areas to justify him on the PP1. This is tough territory though since we don't know what his competition will be when this discussion actually is needed for the NHL team.

I hope he'll see some regular PP time with Färjestad this year, though.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Look at Burns, he scored the majority of his goals with wristers from the point. Odd, but it worked for him. One of the goals Brodin scored in the playoffs was...you guessed it, a wrist shot.

We'll see. Let the boy grow into a man.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
actually the most important thing in my opinion is having a shot that gets through the traffic, it doesn't matter if you have a cannon if it doesn't create havoc in front of the net its useless, accuracy is key and being able to put in on net and give your guys a chance to get the rebound or rederect it is huge.

last year Spurgeon played top line pp for the Wild, he did a better job then Zidlicky in my mind just in creating chances, he moved the puck well and while his shot wasn't huge it was his ability to create scoring chances that made him stand out.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Just throwing it out there, here are the point totals of some other notable Swedish defensemen in their draft year:

Hedman-43GM, 7G, 14A, 21PTS
Rundblad-45GM, 0G, 10A, 10PTS
Erixon-45GM, 2G, 5A, 7PTS
OEL-42GM, 3G, 14A, 17PTS(Allsvenskan, a weaker league compared to the SEL, would likely be around 5-10 in SEL)
Erik Karlsson-7GM, 1G, 0A, 1PT

So by comparison, Brodin's totals aren't that bad. He's not going to be a great offensive player, but I'd expect a perrenial 30-35 point guy.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I like how they traded Leddy only to draft this guy 15 months later... Aren't they projected as like the exact same type of player?

How is Hjalmarsson as a comparison for Brodin?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I like how they traded Leddy only to draft this guy 15 months later... Aren't they projected as like the exact same type of player?

Not really. Leddy is more offensive and not as hockey smart.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden

Hjalmarsson is an awful comparison. Brodin isn't as physical and is positionally much better then Hjalmarsson. Brodin uses the stickcheck effectively and skates very well (both forward and backwards). This makes it difficult for players to stickhandle past him even if he doesn't punish them with a crushing hit for trying.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a comparable player but maybe you could say he's a better version of Carl Gunnarsson. Both are good skaters with a good outlet pass but aren't offensive D-man. On the backend they block shots through good positional play but they don't play the body that much even though they have decent size (I'm aware Brodin only has decent lenght at this time but if he fills out his frame he's got decent size). They can also play on both a PP and a PK although neither is specialized in those areas.

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
Hjalmarsson is an awful comparison. Brodin isn't as physical and is positionally much better then Hjalmarsson. Brodin uses the stickcheck effectively and skates very well (both forward and backwards). This makes it difficult for players to stickhandle past him even if he doesn't punish them with a crushing hit for trying.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a comparable player but maybe you could say he's a better version of Carl Gunnarsson. Both are good skaters with a good outlet pass but aren't offensive D-man. On the backend they block shots through good positional play but they don't play the body that much even though they have decent size (I'm aware Brodin only has decent lenght at this time but if he fills out his frame he's got decent size). They can also play on both a PP and a PK although neither is specialized in those areas.

Mark Pysyk?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site

Actually i would expect brodin to play a lot on PK.. any time a defenseman is as good defensively as i would expect him to become, he ends up playing tons of PK mins.

On the other hand, it looks to me brodin doesn't like to block shots (unless you mean deflecting shots with his stick in 1vs1 plays). Not sure how much you watched of him, but his great positioning is usually not aimed to block shots. He prefers to leave good vision to his goalie and concentrate on rebounds.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Actually i would expect brodin to play a lot on PK.. any time a defenseman is as good defensively as i would expect him to become, he ends up playing tons of PK mins.

On the other hand, it looks to me brodin doesn't like to block shots (unless you mean deflecting shots with his stick in 1vs1 plays). Not sure how much you watched of him, but his great positioning is usually not aimed to block shots. He prefers to leave good vision to his goalie and concentrate on rebounds.

He seems a lot like Carl Gunnarsson. Smooth skating, can make solid outlet passing, good positional play.

GM17*

Reminds me of Tallinder, Martin, Bouwmeester types. Smooth skating mobile dmen who can move the puck, but never seem to be dynamos on the scoresheet.

squidz*

I hope not, we need him at the World Juniors in Russia =)

There's still hope if he does make the Wild out of camp. In 2003 the Wild sent Pierre-Marc Bouchard to the WJC despite him being a regular roster player.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
What is this players potential?

And what player is he compared to?

I'm just asking because Wild fans seem very high on him and he has been compared to Lidstrom. He is also ready to make the leap to the NHL next year from what I've read from the general consensus of Wild fans and some scouts.

Thanks for any feedback, would be appreciated.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He plays like lidström with like 30-50pts in his prime. Might not be norris calibre but steady #1-2 in the future for the Minnesota.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He plays like lidström with like 30-50pts in his prime. Might not be norris calibre but steady #1-2 in the future for the Minnesota.

Yeah that's what I think too after seeing him at WJC's last year.

Calm, steady, good puck handler, not physical, good skater, makes the right decision most of the time.

#1 as upside and 2nd pairing at least if he doesn't pann out perfectly, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->