Jonas Brodin

R S

Sep 18, 2006

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Like all young defensemen that come up and play in the SEL at a young age, he's playing a very simple style of hockey in his first year, so if you've just watched his SEL games it's really hard to rate his offense.

Very sound skater, good with the puck, improving his decision-making without the puck with every game. His main attributes I'd say is the calmness and decision-making, which is better than most defenseman at his age.

His shot isn't that great, and he will almost never release it either.

Like every defenseman and Swedish ones in particular, he'll need to toughen up around the cage and gain weight, but that goes without saying.

Isn't Brodin a defensive defenceman?

Well, I'd call him a defensive D with potential to be a good transitional D-man.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Four points as a u-18 d-man in SEL isn´t too bad. In fact theres only 6 other d-men that scored more in that age. As a comparison Victor Hedman scored 4 points in his first SEL-season when he was a u-18 player and then broke out the following season. Tomas Jonsson, Adam Larsson and Calle Johansson (kind of) is the only defensemen ever to put up some impressive numbers at that age.

As SteffeG pointed out, he plays very simple in SEL so it´s hard to tell really what kind of potential he got offensively.

To judge his future offensive upside I would recomend watching him in the upcoming wjc-18 where he will have more of a leading role. I remember he didn´t score much in Ivan Hlinka, where in stead his Färjestad-budide Oscar Klefbom seemed to be the offensive go-to guy. But in the last few national team games Brodin put up quite a few points of i remember correctly.

Last season he played in division 1 (SEL-3) and for Färjestads j18-team. His numbers in division 1 is very similar to what OEL had in that age when OEL played in division 1. His numbers in the j-18 where almost ppg which is more than excellent in that age.

Judging from those numbers he probably isn´t a purely defensive d-man and it´s a good chance he will produce much better in SEL later on.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Congratulations Jonas Brodin!

17 year old SEL champion, not bad.

I've found that people generally don't talk much about him here on the boards, which is a bit surprising seeing how he's been hyped by scouts for quite a while now and he's ranked third among prospects playing in europe on central scouting final rankings.

Do you think this feat will have an affect on his draft position?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From the Bruins 2011 Draft Watch website:

Jonas Brodin, D Sweden- The controller; we were pretty impressed at how smoothly and effectively Brodin took charge of the Swedish defense corps, turning them into the prettiest transition unit in the entire field. The way Sweden broke out of their end was poetry in motion, and it all started with Brodin who isn't a flashy player (just one assist in four games), but seems to see the ice and think many steps ahead of everyone else like a chess grandmaster. He's got the head and feet to orchestrate the attack, even if he lacks the strength and overpowering shot to be a big point getter. If intelligent puck movers are at a premium, then don't expect Brodin to last very long on June 24th- he's slick and when it comes down to it, a pretty commanding presence. He doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to the table in our view.

Sounds like he can become a poor man Nick Lidstrom. Is his lack of scoring a concern for any teams thinking about drafting him in the 1st round??

anyone else have anymore insight about this kid?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There have been numerous threads about him. Search back a few pages.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
He sounds like Toni Lydman......good defender.....not flashy, good 2nd round pick...

I think he might go as high as mid-first round...sure wouldn't mind it a bit if the Oil took him with the LA first rounder (pick 19?), assuming they take RNH first overall, of course.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Four points as a u-18 d-man in SEL isn´t too bad. In fact theres only 6 other d-men that scored more in that age. As a comparison Victor Hedman scored 4 points in his first SEL-season when he was a u-18 player and then broke out the following season. Tomas Jonsson, Adam Larsson and Calle Johansson (kind of) is the only defensemen ever to put up some impressive numbers at that age.

As SteffeG pointed out, he plays very simple in SEL so it´s hard to tell really what kind of potential he got offensively.

To judge his future offensive upside I would recomend watching him in the upcoming wjc-18 where he will have more of a leading role. I remember he didn´t score much in Ivan Hlinka, where in stead his Färjestad-budide Oscar Klefbom seemed to be the offensive go-to guy. But in the last few national team games Brodin put up quite a few points of i remember correctly.

Last season he played in division 1 (SEL-3) and for Färjestads j18-team. His numbers in division 1 is very similar to what OEL had in that age when OEL played in division 1. His numbers in the j-18 where almost ppg which is more than excellent in that age.

Judging from those numbers he probably isn´t a purely defensive d-man and it´s a good chance he will produce much better in SEL later on.

From the Bruins 2011 Draft Watch website:

Jonas Brodin, D Sweden- The controller; we were pretty impressed at how smoothly and effectively Brodin took charge of the Swedish defense corps, turning them into the prettiest transition unit in the entire field. The way Sweden broke out of their end was poetry in motion, and it all started with Brodin who isn't a flashy player (just one assist in four games), but seems to see the ice and think many steps ahead of everyone else like a chess grandmaster. He's got the head and feet to orchestrate the attack, even if he lacks the strength and overpowering shot to be a big point getter. If intelligent puck movers are at a premium, then don't expect Brodin to last very long on June 24th- he's slick and when it comes down to it, a pretty commanding presence. He doesn't get enough credit for what he brings to the table in our view.

Sounds like he can become a poor man Nick Lidstrom. Is his lack of scoring a concern for any teams thinking about drafting him in the 1st round??

anyone else have anymore insight about this kid?

The U18 played out similarly to the Hlinka tourny. Brodin is a smart & safe d-man who will more than likely require more prodding to join the rush if he is to put up the numbers.

I think he might go as high as mid-first round...sure wouldn't mind it a bit if the Oil took him with the LA first rounder (pick 19?), assuming they take RNH first overall, of course.

If you're looking to hit a home run, I'd pass on Brodin with 19th but would definitely use the 31st on him if still available.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I haven´t seen him too much playing, but by what I have seen him, he is a very impressive defenseman. IMO he has a very good first pass, and plays a solid game at both offense and defense. He also is a good skater. I would see him gaining some strength, though. But I see him as a very good defenseman who has a lot of potential.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Does anyone know if Brodin is good on the PP??

For all the good things i have heard about the kid, he scores very little points and even less goals.

Can he go end to end?

I have seen him play a few games and he was great from the middle of the ice to his own end but nothing beyond the middle to the opposing end.

Maybe its swedish style d hockey?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Does anyone know if Brodin is good on the PP??

For all the good things i have heard about the kid, he scores very little points and even less goals.

Can he go end to end?

I have seen him play a few games and he was great from the middle of the ice to his own end but nothing beyond the middle to the opposing end.

Maybe its swedish style d hockey?

This sums it up:
He checks an attacking opponent, grabs the puck, takes 2-4 steps, then makes a solid first pass. That's he what he basically does in his zone.

On the PP, I felt he was VERY creative and solid as a pointman during the U-18 WC. He was mobile and often faked shots or passes.

I do not think he's an end-to-end guy, but he is certainly highly skilled with the puck on his stick while also being rough on the man and well-positioned.

He seems like an intelligent player.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
From watching the U-18s, it looked to me like Brodin and Klefbom were the "Swedish Weber and Suter".

Brodin looked like the reliable one(like Suter). He was calm, kept it simple(sometimes, was creative when needed) and effective.

Klefbom was the dynamic one(like Weber). He liked to rush the puck, big shot, physical.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
From watching the U-18s, it looked to me like Brodin and Klefbom were the "Swedish Weber and Suter".

Brodin looked like the reliable one(like Suter). He was calm, kept it simple(sometimes, was creative when needed) and effective.

Klefbom was the dynamic one(like Weber). He liked to rush the puck, big shot, physical.

Interesting way put. Let me ask you

if you were drafting , would you rather take Adam Larsson or Klefbom and Brodin as a package instead??

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Interesting way put. Let me ask you

if you were drafting , would you rather take Adam Larsson or Klefbom and Brodin as a package instead??

Can I take Brodin and Larsson? ;)

But, seriously...I'd go with Larsson. I was only comparing Klefbom/Brodin to Weber and Suter stylistically. They'll be good, but the odds are definitely against them to be Suter/Weber good.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Larsson is simply the best player in the draft.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Still, I'd prolly take Brodin AND Klefbom over just Larsson.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Brodin/Klefbom as a package or Larsson? In my mind, anyone who picks Larsson with those conditions would re-consider in a few years.

Interesting comparison with Suter-Weber. Style-wise it's not a bad one even though I don't think Klefbom will be an offensive threat in the mold of Weber.

El Duderino

Aug 4, 2007
BC
I want him on the Canucks just so that we could potentially ice a combination of Sedin, Sedin, Rodin and Brodin.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I want him on the Canucks just so that we could potentially ice a combination of Sedin, Sedin, Rodin and Brodin.

Trade for Torontos prospect Daniel Brodin and Edmontons d-prospect Johan Motin, draft Brynäs overager Joachim Rhodin and bring out Mats Sundin out of retirement. This will give instant succes.

If you have both Brodins on the team (not related) and one of them are named Daniel, it will add to the amusing confusion when the play-by-play guy is talking about Daniel.

I also heard the KHL-player Björn Melin is looking for greener pastures.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Was the Brodin pick a surprise?

I know some Wild fans were scratching their head at this pick (partly because Siemens, Murphy and Beaulieu were all sitting there) but personally I think this guy was a definite sleeper. He's one of the youngest in the draft and a lot of scouts liked this player a lot. In fact I've seen a few have him at 9 to the Bruins.

So did this guy come out of no where or was he slated for the top 10-15?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad