Jonas Brodin

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
they said Brodin is as important to the Wild as Karlsson is to the Senators.
He's not, because he can't be. Karlsson is the best player on the Senators by a whole lot. Brodin is not the best player on the Wild (and if he is, it's not by a lot).

Example: if the Sens lose Karlsson, they're screwed; they're just done. If the Wild lose Brodin, it sucks, but they have Suter who can step up.

That's the difference in importance.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
He's not, because he can't be. Karlsson is the best player on the Senators by a whole lot. Brodin is not the best player on the Wild (and if he is, it's not by a lot).

Example: if the Sens lose Karlsson, they're screwed; they're just done. If the Wild lose Brodin, it sucks, but they have Suter who can step up.

The thing is that Suter wasn't stepping it up, until he got to play with a guy like Brodin. That's where your not understanding Brodin's value. It's not only what he brings, but what he allows Suter to bring by being as good as he is in various aspects of the game. (Allowing Suter to alleviate some of the load, play more offensively, take more risks, and just play more loose)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If Suter plays like Suter played before Brodin was his partner, we're screwed. If Suter plays how he has been the last couple of games, we're still screwed, just not quite as much.

Brodin has been exceptionally important to the Wild this season, and I don't know why you think you're in a position to argue this with actual Wild fans.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Brodin is an IMPORTANT player, but he is not as important to his team as Karlsson is, nor is he as good as Karlsson is.

Brodin is not as important to his team as Karlsson because 1. Karlsson is Ottawa's star player, and Brodin is not the Wild's star player, and 2. Ottawa has nobody to replace Karlsson. The Wild can replace Brodin, namely with Ryan Suter.

As much as I love the fact that Suter isn't playing well, it's pretty silly to put Brodin over him. It's highly likely that Suter will find his rhythm in Minnesota, and when he does, the Wild will have two excellent defensemen and not one.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I know this is a Brodin thread but really, I don't think Suter has been terrible as some fans make him out to be in order to make Brodin look better.

No, Suter may not be playing a $7.5 million quality game, but played a consistent game, reliable on all zones, and a good presence in the d-zone. Of course, I wished he was more dominant when moving the puck in the offensive zone and more dominant physically in the defensive zone, but I would not use the term "terrible" to describe his game.

More like ... disappointing ...

And as much as I love Brodin, he has done his fair share of mistakes. We always knew he was never going to be a physical player, but there were times he was just outmuscled which lead to scoring chances.

IMO, he is currently our #2. He is not our #1. Icetime says Gilbert is #2 and Brodin is #3, but I find Brodin much better defensively. Still, Suter beats him out.

And yeah, comparing him to Karlsson in terms of importance to their respective teams is still a bit outlandish. Brodin is not of extreme importance on even ice time or powerplay yet.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
What danccchan said.
Kid is rock solid right now and is actually showing decent offensive instincts and an accurate shot, so it's reasonable to expect he'll get even better than he is now but it's way too early to lay the laurels on his head.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's not, because he can't be. Karlsson is the best player on the Senators by a whole lot.

So if the Senators lost Spezza for an entire season it wouldn't be a huge impact on the Senators? Karlsson is the best player on the Senators but not by a whole lot.

Suter hasn't stepped up. If the Senator's lose Karlsson they aren't going to be screwed. Will it hurt? Yes, but they can patch together their defense.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Coming from a finn about a Swede, it carries some weight.

Not Doug's Weight, but still some.

Haha, yeah. Impossible not to love his game. I am jealous for Sweden's ability to churn out young elite defensemen though. You guys are doing something right with your junior coaching over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->