Speculation: Johnny Hockey

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
TK has 193 points in 308 games

JG has 455 points in 472 games

Yeah sure use a specific amount of games to win your argument, TK would be the main piece with an add like Patrick, if you don't want the big fish, then keep your little fish and tiny fish
I am using the most recent reasonable sample size we have.

Last 75-78 games played for each, they have 69 and 68 points respectively.

Using Konecny's points when he was 19 and 20...when Gaudreau didn't start until age 21 is misleading as well.

And for the record, I am not saying Konecny will outproduce JG this year. I am simply stating the FACTS that over the latest approx 75-78 games, they have produced the same while TK in younger, cheaper, and signed longer.

Keep JG...he is your best player. You don't see lots of Flyers fans fawning over adding him because he isn't a need. We simply don't need him. Hell, the Flyers have 2 LWers in the top T23 in scoring this year. We are good.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Jersey had to trade him, he only had 1/3rd of the season left, Calgary doesn't HAVE to trade Johnny, he has over a year and in 90% of the Flyers eyes "hes going to sign in philly anyways" so it well over a year and a half, the Calgary Flames fans are not trading Johnny Hockey for anything short of a 1v1, if you want us to take JVR, you're talking Lucic, not Johnny, you want our top scoring player for your garbage prospects? Get outta here, we want TK or Ivan, anyone else and we'll let Johnny walk in free agency.

Calgary Flames fans are not trading Johnny Hockey for anything because they have no say in the transactions of their team

JVR may be overpaid, but he's still a productive top 6 forward...

I might be wrong, but I don't believe your assessment of the situation is accurate in regards to Philly having to take Lucic if JVR is involved

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jersey had to trade him, he only had 1/3rd of the season left, Calgary doesn't HAVE to trade Johnny, he has over a year and in 90% of the Flyers eyes "hes going to sign in philly anyways" so it well over a year and a half, the Calgary Flames fans are not trading Johnny Hockey for anything short of a 1v1, if you want us to take JVR, you're talking Lucic, not Johnny, you want our top scoring player for your garbage prospects? Get outta here, we want TK or Ivan, anyone else and we'll let Johnny walk in free agency.
enjoy him walking....or re-signing.

No team is trading their #1Dman or a 23 year old winger who has paced for 75 points since the start of last year and is signed for essentially 5 years...AND adding to it.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
who is garbage prospect exactly?

Flyers is a top scoring team in the league. We need a soild D. Keep Johnny "hockey" west if you can.

As much as I do not like JVR at least he scores goals.. You are stuck with Lucic.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Yes I strongly believe if all 3 players will be healthy and lets say Gaudreau is going to have decent season 80 plus pts.. I think Konecny and Patrick (lets say both will not improve and has have steady pace) will outscore Gaudreau . Konecny and Patrick without improving again I just want Patrick to be healthy but both should have 90pts points season type of season. Both will out score him. I could care less if you making your "math" based on 8 games. Makes no difference to me.

You're unhinged my friend. If we make the math about their last 150 games instead of 8 it's way worse. There is not a single chance in this world that Patrick outscores Johnny this year, and I would be willing to make a firm bet on Konecny. You're getting your knickers in a knot here but that's just the reality of the numbers. I am sorry that math is confusing for you.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
You're unhinged my friend. If we make the math about their last 150 games instead of 8 it's way worse. There is not a single chance in this world that Patrick outscores Johnny this year, and I would be willing to make a firm bet on Konecny. You're getting your knickers in a knot here but that's just the reality of the numbers. I am sorry that math is confusing for you.
I never said Patrick or Konecny will outscore Gaudreau I said both players will as in combined production from two younger improving players that are part of our core.... if healthy

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much
"we want your star player but we don't want to pay what he is worth, so take our subpar offer or leave"
"ok we'll leave"
"fine, we'll just get him in 2 years as a UFA"
"good luck with that"

Except that's not what's happening at all. A few Calgary fans are valuing JG as if he's not a UFA in 1.5 years and asking for the types of players that never get moved for rentals. And Flyers fans are saying he's not a great fit and don't think there's a deal to be made.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Except that's not what's happening at all. A few Calgary fans are valuing JG as if he's not a UFA in 1.5 years and asking for the types of players that never get moved for rentals. And Flyers fans are saying he's not a great fit and don't think there's a deal to be made.

umm in the hypothetical that a top ten offensive player in the league, which Gaudreau is and has been his whole career, with over a year on his steal of a contract, is traded... from a competitive team...

The price will be astronomical and it should be because he’s an insane talent. Just because the idiots on HF have never appreciated him doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the most talented players in the entire league.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Yeah but unlike the Flames, the Flyers never have a problem attracting excellent free agents so we can replace Roo and Vorocek when the time comes....granted I am not a fan of Midget boy as he is useless in the playoffs.....I am hoping the Flyers do not bother with him but I am afraid they will do otherwise.
So you’ve never been to Calgary and just talk out of your a$$...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
umm in the hypothetical that a top ten offensive player in the league, which Gaudreau is and has been his whole career, with over a year on his steal of a contract, is traded... from a competitive team...

The price will be astronomical and it should be because he’s an insane talent. Just because the idiots on HF have never appreciated him doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the most talented players in the entire league.

I think that's debatable... it's certainly not a consensus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The point you are missing...is that the Flyers are not that team that NEEDS him.

Very few Flyers fans are dissing him. Most see him as PPG player, and should. But we also know our own team and see Giroux, JVR and Lindblom on LW...and so no NEED for him. We have a 1st line LW, and 2nd line LW and a 3rd line LW who was pacing to be a 2nd liner pre-cancer. We are not a JG away from winning a cup. We certainly are not trading Konecny who has been on a 75 point pace since last year AND adding to him...just to add another LWer.

Ask MOST Flyers fans what we need, and they will tell you the same things...health, Hart to get locked in, and another top 4 RHD....but due to expansion, that D likely is going to have to wait.

To a team that NEEDS a point producing LWer, for sure JG would be a great add. The Flyers are only being mentioned because of the article and where JG grew up. So maybe we all can agree, the Flames should KEEP JG and re-sign him and keep their best player. It 100% makes the most sense...for both teams.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The point you are missing...is that the Flyers are not that team that NEEDS him.

Very few Flyers fans are dissing him. Most see him as PPG player, and should. But we also know our own team and see Giroux, JVR and Lindblom on LW...and so no NEED for him. We have a 1st line LW, and 2nd line LW and a 3rd line LW who was pacing to be a 2nd liner pre-cancer. We are not a JG away from winning a cup. We certainly are not trading Konecny who has been on a 75 point pace since last year AND adding to him...just to add another LWer.

Ask MOST Flyers fans what we need, and they will tell you the same things...health, Hart to get locked in, and another top 4 RHD....but due to expansion, that D likely is going to have to wait.

To a team that NEEDS a point producing LWer, for sure JG would be a great add. The Flyers are only being mentioned because of the article and where JG grew up. So maybe we all can agree, the Flames should KEEP JG and re-sign him and keep their best player. It 100% makes the most sense...for both teams.

The premise of this thread is that Gaudreau doesn't want to re-sign in Calgary...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think that's debatable... it's certainly not a consensus
Especially since if you look at the last 3 years and this year(JG best stretch), he is 11th in overall points and Sid, Ovi, Malkin, Matthews and Eichel are behind him due to missed games. And most people would have those 5 above him now. For PPG during that time, he is 19th in the league.

I don't think he is top 10...but I would have him 11-20. He is good at what he does.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The premise of this thread is that Gaudreau doesn't want to re-sign in Calgary...
ok...and since the thread is also based on that he wants to go to Philly...then the Flyers are quite able to say no to paying a big amount to acquire him and just wait 2 years, right?

Just because JG wants to go to Philly(premise of the thread), doesn't mean the Flyers trade someone like Konecny+ Patrick or Provy just to make JG happy...lol.

Hell...let's look deeper. Let's say the agree to try and work a deal for JG. The Flyers have 3 LWers now. Not trading Giroux(captain) and not trading Lindblom after going thru cancer. What LW is left? JVR. Now of course, JVR is not enough but he repalces some offense and is a 2nd line LWer. Flames would also want a C with upside. Not going to be Couts, not Hayes obviously. That leaves Patrick or Frost. well Frost needs shoulder surgery and is out for 6 months...so guess what, they Flyers can't move Patrick now anyways. And the deal all starts unraveling.

It's ok to say a deal doesn't "fit" regardless if a unknown website wants t to happen

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
ok...and since the thread is also based on that he wants to go to Philly...then the Flyers are quite able to say no to paying a big amount to acquire him and just wait 2 years, right?

Just because JG wants to go to Philly(premise of the thread), doesn't mean the Flyers trade someone like Konecny+ Patrick or Provy just to make JG happy...lol.

Hell...let's look deeper. Let's say the agree to try and work a deal for JG. The Flyers have 3 LWers now. Not trading Giroux(captain) and not trading Lindblom after going thru cancer. What LW is left? JVR. Now of course, JVR is not enough but he repalces some offense and is a 2nd line LWer. Flames would also want a C with upside. Not going to be Couts, not Hayes obviously. That leaves Patrick or Frost. well Frost needs shoulder surgery and is out for 6 months...so guess what, they Flyers can't move Patrick now anyways. And the deal all starts unraveling.

It's ok to say a deal doesn't "fit" regardless if a unknown website wants t to happen

My proposal from earlier in the thread...

To Philly: Gaudreau, Bennett

To Calgary: JVR, Patrick, 2021 1st

Gives Philly arguably the best top 9 in the league...

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Gaudreau - Hayes - Konecny
Lindblom - Frost - Farabee

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My proposal from earlier in the thread...

To Philly: Gaudreau, Bennett

To Calgary: JVR, Patrick, 2021 1st

Gives Philly arguably the best top 9 in the league...

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Gaudreau - Hayes - Konecny
Lindblom - Frost - Farabee
But again...could not do that deal now with Frost being out all year. And due to that, they will be keeping Patrick and Frost for next year too because who knows how Frosts shoulder will be. They will run with "safety in numbers" especially since both are so cheap.

And honestly, if I am trading Patrick and a +1st next summer, it's for a top 4 RHD.

Reactions: Perennial

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

He most certainly is not

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ledge And Dairy

I wasn't asking him to predict the future...
You literally asked him to name other teams that would beat that offer and what those offers would be. That is like asking him to name how many stars will be visible outside 2 week from now. Such a ridiculous request. Maybe instead be reasonable and say "Hey, maybe my offer isn't enough and could very well be beaten if Gaudreau hits the market. Maybe I should make a better offer."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad