Speculation: Johnny Hockey

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
The way Johnny is playing this season no one will want to trade him. It would have to hurt bad.

Konecny+Patrick for Johnny+bennett was what I proposed yesterday. I would hate to see it but could stomach it.
Konecny and Patrick? lol...

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Not even in the ballpark. Think of pieces you absolutely don't want to trade. Koneckny, Couturier, Provorov ect.

The Flyers don’t trade either Couturier or Provorov straight up just due to position. Dealing the younger cheaper player in TK who’s under team control for 5 years at a reasonable caphit is a tough pill to swallow for a guy who can test out the market in 2 years and, if you listen to this rumor, has his heart set on Philly anyway. Might as well just wait at that point and get him for cash.

But I doubt Gaudreau ends up in Philly. I don’t think he’s the best fit for the roster and I think he goes to the highest bidder, whoever that may be. The hometown discount talk is almost always bunk. If I’m Fletcher, I’d have far more interest in making a run at Hamilton.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Flyers don’t trade either Couturier or Provorov straight up just due to position. Dealing the younger cheaper player in TK who’s under team control for 5 years at a reasonable caphit is a tough pill to swallow for a guy who can test out the market in 2 years and, if you listen to this rumor, has his heart set on Philly anyway. Might as well just wait at that point and get him for cash.

But I doubt Gaudreau ends up in Philly. I don’t think he’s the best fit for the roster and I think he goes to the highest bidder, whoever that may be. The hometown discount talk is almost always bunk. If I’m Fletcher, I’d have far more interest in making a run at Hamilton.
I wouldn't trade Provorov or Couturier for him either for the record. I would consider Koneckny from a Flyers perspective. That said, the rumor that he wants to go to Philly has been debunked by Johnny directly.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
for the 22/23 season the flyers have 8 contracts for 44+m on the books. the roughly 37m in cap space looks like a lot. but there are a few players the flyers might want to keep around, who need an extension beforehand or in the gaudreau ufa off-season.
hart is a no brainer. he is looked at the premier young goalie in the league. goalies normally sign bridge deals (~4m) off their ELC. the flyers might feel comfortable enough with hart to sign him long term (7m+). the other notable rfa's next off-season are sanheim and patrick. sanheim won't sign for less and to find a cheaper replacement for him will be difficult. it's conservative to reserve 4m for his extension or replacement. patrick's value at the end of this season is very difficult to gauge. so far he looks healthy and if he gets through the season without further injuries his game might catch up to his talent level. no call here.
the next year couturier, farabee and frost will come off their current deals. i assume couts will get paid, after being one of the best value contracts with his current deal. with no radical changes in his game 7 to 8m/yr sounds about a fair deal. i don't know farabee and frost well enough to project their progression two years into the future. flyers fans seem to be high on them, so bridge deals for both around 6m doesn't sound wrong to me.
team friendly extensions for hart, sanheim, couturier, farabee and frost will add at least 21m to their cap. the flyers would have 13 contracts and less than 16m in cap space without extending patrick. even adding gaudreau at 7m would be extremely difficult. counting on seattle to pick one of voracek, jvr or ghost to free up some cap space, is not a given or could cost a future asset. so trading for gaudreau with one of the above mentioned contracts going the other way might be the saver route for philly to add johnny hockey to their team.
If I went what Flyers could offer mode I think Perennial's offer is on the mark.
1 of Voracek/JVR (possible retention)
1 of Patrick/Frost(with Frost hurt probably Patrick)
and extra piece say a 1
Bennett back from Calgary
Not saying either side would or should do it.

Reactions: Perennial

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I went what Flyers could offer mode I think Perennial's offer is on the mark.
1 of Voracek/JVR (possible retention)
1 of Patrick/Frost(with Frost hurt probably Patrick)
and extra piece say a 1
Bennett back from Calgary
Not saying either side would or should do it.
I just don't see that being at all interesting. Gaudreau would be either clubs best offensive player. Bennett is our best playoff player. You're not offering anything interesting and asking for a clubs best offensive player for a big bodied forward on the wrong side of 30 with big money and term left. It would be a bit like us offering you Tanev for Sandheim.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I just don't see that being at all interesting. Gaudreau would be either clubs best offensive player. Bennett is our best playoff player. You're not offering anything interesting and asking for a clubs best offensive player for a big bodied forward on the wrong side of 30 with big money and term left. It would be a bit like us offering you Tanev for Sandheim.
This is IF IF IF IF IF you think Johnny is walking after 22.

If would be like if you thought Sanheim was only going to sign a 1 year extention and then walk after 22. Would u rather have 4 years of Tanev or 2 of Sanheim?

What I am seeing is the pattern of the writer has an agenda. If Calgary has a 50/50 shot of resigning Johnny you wait. But if you think its 95/5 he leaves then you better consider everything.

Ledge And Dairy

If would be like if you thought Sanheim was only going to sign a 1 year extention and then walk after 22. Would u rather have 4 years of Tanev or 2 of Sanheim?

What I am seeing is the pattern of the writer has an agenda. If Calgary has a 50/50 shot of resigning Johnny you wait. But if you think its 95/5 he leaves then you better consider everything.
Its definitely closer to 50/50, 40/60 at worse

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I wouldn't trade Provorov or Couturier for him either for the record. I would consider Koneckny from a Flyers perspective. That said, the rumor that he wants to go to Philly has been debunked by Johnny directly.
Provorov 4.5 years control 6.75m easy call over 1.5 years control of Johnny
Konecky 4.5 years of control at lesser salary is pretty easy over 1.5 years of control of Johnny.
Couts and Johnny both same years control and is the closest as far as value. But alas it leaves Flyers without a 1c.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Yes I agree if Johnny had said he was leaving or hadn't said anything. But his direct quote was he wants to play in Calgary his entire career.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Provorov 4.5 years control 6.75m easy call over 1.5 years control of Johnny
Konecky 4.5 years of control at lesser salary is pretty easy over 1.5 years of control of Johnny.
Couts and Johnny both same years control and is the closest as far as value. But alas it leaves Flyers without a 1c.
Again, this is assuming he can't be re-signed. Everything he has said is that he wants to re-sign. The issue for the Flames is we have a lot of good two way forwards (Backlund, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Dube, Mangiapane) but only one offensive catalyst. Johnny makes something out of nothing and we have no one else who does that. He certainly has his flaws, but I don't want to find out what a player like Monahan is without him. IF he can't be re-signed then we should move him for what we can get, but if he can be re-signed (as his statements would lead me to believe) then I don't want to move him for a big bodied forward on the wrong side of 30 signed to a big cap hit. If we can't re-sign Johnny I'd sooner look at some young/draft assets rather than a 31 year old making 8.25 per year.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Yes I agree if Johnny had said he was leaving or hadn't said anything. But his direct quote was he wants to play in Calgary his entire career.

I wouldn't want to hang my hat on that. Not saying he's destined to leave, but what else is he going to say?

Also, if the Flames trade Gaudreau, it's unlikely it'll be a straight hockey trade. More likely a package of futures with maybe a vet mixed in for cap purposes.

Reactions: Perennial

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Theres no deal that either side is going to agree to. JG is a luxury for a team that is already VERY deep at LW, and the Flames would want the pieces the Flyers cant afford to give up. We've done this so many times it makes my head spin.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't want to hang my hat on that. Not saying he's destined to leave, but what else is he going to say?

Also, if the Flames trade Gaudreau, it's unlikely it'll be a straight hockey trade. More likely a package of futures with maybe a vet mixed in for cap purposes.
I'd sooner hang my hat on what he's said than what he hasn't said. Johnny's best friend is Monahan. He's used to the city. I think there's a good chance he re-signs.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Again, this is assuming he can't be re-signed. Everything he has said is that he wants to re-sign. The issue for the Flames is we have a lot of good two way forwards (Backlund, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Dube, Mangiapane) but only one offensive catalyst. Johnny makes something out of nothing and we have no one else who does that. He certainly has his flaws, but I don't want to find out what a player like Monahan is without him. IF he can't be re-signed then we should move him for what we can get, but if he can be re-signed (as his statements would lead me to believe) then I don't want to move him for a big bodied forward on the wrong side of 30 signed to a big cap hit. If we can't re-sign Johnny I'd sooner look at some young/draft assets rather than a 31 year old making 8.25 per year.
This is knowing the best case is to resign but not probable and at least 7 years 9m to resign. If you include CAD taxes more like 9.5-9.75m to resign for Calgary. If Philly fan or Calgary fan think Johnny will sign 4@7m I have some beach front swamp land in Florida for you to buy.
Provorov at 6.75 or Johnny at 9m easy call.
Konecky at 5.75 at 4.5years or Johnny at 1.5 years/8.5 years at 9m extension. Easy call for me its Konecky.

And the offer I freely admit is based on Calgary is screwed and Johnny is more likely to leave than stay in Calgary. If you believe the writer is a horse's backside and Johnny is 50-50 to resign than Calgary should do nothing until off season at earliest to see if can extend.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
This is knowing the best case is to resign but not probable and at least 7 years 9m to resign. If you include CAD taxes more like 9.5-9.75m to resign for Calgary. If Philly fan or Calgary fan think Johnny will sign 4@7m I have some beach front swamp land in Florida for you to buy.
Provorov at 6.75 or Johnny at 9m easy call.
Konecky at 5.75 at 4.5years or Johnny at 1.5 years/8.5 years at 9m extension. Easy call for me its Konecky.

And the offer I freely admit is based on Calgary is screwed and Johnny is more likely to leave than stay in Calgary. If you believe the writer is a horse's backside and Johnny is 50-50 to resign than Calgary should do nothing until off season at earliest to see if can extend.

Yeah, Gaudreau's getting 7 or 8 years at 9+ a year wherever he ends up. It's part of what makes me cold on him joining the Flyers.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
What are you laughing at? Gaudreau is a better player than Koneckny. He's over a PPG playing with a 2nd line center and replacement level winger.
He is a better player but you are not going to get Konecny for a guy with one year left on his contract not to mention Konecny plus Patrick.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Yeah. Like I said, It's not going to happen unless the trade makes you not want to do it.
yeah and like I said.. if no injuries both will probably outsscore Gaudreau this season. makes szero sense to make the move from Flyers prospective. Unreasonable.

The New Jersey Devils have traded star Taylor Hall and Blake Speers to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for a 2020 conditional first-round draft pick, a conditional 2021 third-rounder, along with forward prospects Nate Schnarr, Nick Merkley and defenceman Kevin Bahl.

You see Konecny or Patrick like players in this trade? If you were somewhat reasonable you would mention Farabee plus. Konecny is a no go right from start

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad