Speculation: Johnny Hockey

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
NHL Rumors: Johnny Gaudreau to the Flyers inevitable? - The Daily Goal Horn
Per Eric Francis podcast

Yeah it is an article along the lines of water is still wet but says Johnny won't resign in Calgary. And leading candidate where Johnny signs is Philly.

So 3 questions. 1) For Flyers, is the goal to acquire him now or wait 1.75 years and sign just for the cash.

2) Is Calgary goal win at all cost next 1.75 years or get what u can now?

2) Is there a realistic trade that can be made today between the 2 teams. No shot Flyers trade a d man now. (Maybe Sanheim in off season.) Trading Konecny at 4.75 controlled years makes little sense for 1.75 year of controlled Johnny and then pay 9m to resign.

Fire away.

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
NHL Rumors: Johnny Gaudreau to the Flyers inevitable? - The Daily Goal Horn
Per Eric Francis podcast

Yeah it is an article along the lines of water is still wet but says Johnny won't resign in Calgary. And leading candidate where Johnny signs is Philly.

So 3 questions. 1) For Flyers, is the goal to acquire him now or wait 1.75 years and sign just for the cash.

2) Is Calgary goal win at all cost next 1.75 years or get what u can now?

2) Is there a realistic trade that can be made today between the 2 teams. No shot Flyers trade a d man now. (Maybe Sanheim in off season.) Trading Konecny at 4.5 controlled years makes little sense for 1.5 year of controlled Johnny and then pay 9m to resign.

Fire away.

Well with TK out, i don't really see a fit.

Ledge And Dairy

Francis is a clown, in the offseason he said he expected Gaudreau and Monahan to be on the 3rd line. He also hates Johnny too, remember when Voracek got pissed off at that reporter in the post-game interview the other week, that reporter is your version of Eric Francis. Flames reddit and discord literally has a command that makes a bot say "$@#% Eric Francis!" We as a fanbase genuinely hate him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Francis is a clown, in the offseason he said he expected Gaudreau and Monahan to be on the 3rd line. He also hates Johnny too, remember when Voracek got pissed off at that reporter in the post-game interview the other week, that reporter is your version of Eric Francis. Flames reddit and discord literally has a command that makes a bot say "$@#% Eric Francis!" We as a fanbase genuinely hate him.
Appreciate the 411. Just saw the article and did not know the background.

There always has to be one hockey writer in every town who is a moron and another who is a hater.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Throwback to Francis for questioning Monahan's heart to the team when he was fighting through injuries that led to 4 offseason surgeries, or when he questioned Brodie's heart for taking time off to be with his wife struggling with Multiple Sclerosis. F**k Eric Francis

Ledge And Dairy

Appreciate the 411. Just saw the article and did not know the background.

There always has to be one hockey writer in every town who is a moron and another who is a hater.
I was just about to link a tweet from Johnny's sister calling out Francis on twitter an hour ago for trying to run him out of town but he just deleted it. If I can find a SS of it I'll post it

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ledge And Dairy

I was just about to link a tweet from Johnny's sister calling out Francis on twitter an hour ago for trying to run him out of town but he just deleted it. If I can find a SS of it I'll post it
C1uhbT9.jpg

Here we go

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Francis may be an idiot (I have my own reasons to believe that he is) but he's a Flames idiot who may still have some connections within the organization.

I wonder if there's a tiny spark here.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Francis may be an idiot (I have my own reasons to believe that he is) but he's a Flames idiot who may still have some connections within the organization.

I wonder if there's a tiny spark here.

I don't think so. Francis has a long history of making these grand proclamations, and they never come to fruition. I might be forgetting some minor ones (maybe!), but I can't really think of anything he has gotten right. It also seems like the organization dislikes him - and why wouldn't they? I don't think the fans here want a 'fanboy' per se, but it is almost like he enjoys stating controversial opinions as facts, and in the past, seemingly trying to get under the skin of some players and management. There is no way anyone is telling Francis anything in the organization, and I make that assumption based on the fact that you just don't see his 'rumours' having any legs unless they come after the fact of other people reporting them first.

Out of the national insiders, Lebrun seems to be the guy with legit sources in the Flames organization, and then some of the other local guys like Steinberg seem to get things right more often than not. Flames are a notoriously tight-lipped organization, and leaks usually come out from other organizations rather than from the Flames (like the Bennett trade request).

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
All things aside I'm probably not the only Flames fan that thinks the franchise needs a change and Gaudreau will be the first step for that. He could get us some good pieces and I think it's best for both parties to explore different stuff.

Just feels like we've seen what we've seen and there's different levels for both sides to be reaching. I imagine the core will be almost completely different in two years time.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Francis likes to speculate this a lot as he wants Gaudreau out of town. Gaudreau himself went out of his way to say he wanted to stay in Calgary for a long time this summer.

Love Johnny's sister clapping back at him tonight

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Very little chance it would happen in season unless the TDL comes and the Flames are out of playoff contention. It would also cost a lot, like a lot a lot, he's a premier producer on a great contract.

[MOD] Can't believe anybody lets that moron on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It is inevitable that Midget boy leaves the Flames.....the Flyers should just wait and get him for nothing......
for the 22/23 season the flyers have 8 contracts for 44+m on the books. the roughly 37m in cap space looks like a lot. but there are a few players the flyers might want to keep around, who need an extension beforehand or in the gaudreau ufa off-season.
hart is a no brainer. he is looked at the premier young goalie in the league. goalies normally sign bridge deals (~4m) off their ELC. the flyers might feel comfortable enough with hart to sign him long term (7m+). the other notable rfa's next off-season are sanheim and patrick. sanheim won't sign for less and to find a cheaper replacement for him will be difficult. it's conservative to reserve 4m for his extension or replacement. patrick's value at the end of this season is very difficult to gauge. so far he looks healthy and if he gets through the season without further injuries his game might catch up to his talent level. no call here.
the next year couturier, farabee and frost will come off their current deals. i assume couts will get paid, after being one of the best value contracts with his current deal. with no radical changes in his game 7 to 8m/yr sounds about a fair deal. i don't know farabee and frost well enough to project their progression two years into the future. flyers fans seem to be high on them, so bridge deals for both around 6m doesn't sound wrong to me.
team friendly extensions for hart, sanheim, couturier, farabee and frost will add at least 21m to their cap. the flyers would have 13 contracts and less than 16m in cap space without extending patrick. even adding gaudreau at 7m would be extremely difficult. counting on seattle to pick one of voracek, jvr or ghost to free up some cap space, is not a given or could cost a future asset. so trading for gaudreau with one of the above mentioned contracts going the other way might be the saver route for philly to add johnny hockey to their team.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
By then their boys giroux and voracek are ready for the nursing home
Yeah but unlike the Flames, the Flyers never have a problem attracting excellent free agents so we can replace Roo and Vorocek when the time comes....granted I am not a fan of Midget boy as he is useless in the playoffs.....I am hoping the Flyers do not bother with him but I am afraid they will do otherwise.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
it's normal if he wants to try free agency. He has that right, just like Tavares, and other players.

Reactions: TFHockey

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't think so. Francis has a long history of making these grand proclamations, and they never come to fruition. I might be forgetting some minor ones (maybe!), but I can't really think of anything he has gotten right. It also seems like the organization dislikes him - and why wouldn't they? I don't think the fans here want a 'fanboy' per se, but it is almost like he enjoys stating controversial opinions as facts, and in the past, seemingly trying to get under the skin of some players and management. There is no way anyone is telling Francis anything in the organization, and I make that assumption based on the fact that you just don't see his 'rumours' having any legs unless they come after the fact of other people reporting them first.

Out of the national insiders, Lebrun seems to be the guy with legit sources in the Flames organization, and then some of the other local guys like Steinberg seem to get things right more often than not. Flames are a notoriously tight-lipped organization, and leaks usually come out from other organizations rather than from the Flames (like the Bennett trade request).
The question I always have is if he's so disliked within the organization why is he allowed on air between periods and given a chance to keep spewing his nonsense? Get him back on a failing radio station's morning slot and put him out of our misery.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
This may be just a player saying player things but JG clearly stated in his exit meeting last year that he wants to play his entire career in Calgary.

Take it for what it's worth though and Francis is a clown.

Reactions: Why2Jay

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The way Johnny is playing this season no one will want to trade him. It would have to hurt bad.

Konecny+Patrick for Johnny+bennett was what I proposed yesterday. I would hate to see it but could stomach it.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad