Speculation: Johnny Hockey

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
haven't read the whole string yet, so this has prolly been covered, but it sounds like Philly has wanted Johnny Hockey for awhile, and their team is primed to make a nice run this year.
so makes sense to go after him now, right?
now... what does it cost? that's the jagged pill. It's gonna sting.. but if it's doable, I don't see a reason why Philly would wait another ~2 yrs
The rumor has always been Johnny will be in northeast 2 years from now and if he got his way Flyers would be the choice. It seems the writer who is most consistent in floating this rumor is a horse's backside and is hated by Calgary fans and even Johnny's family alike. He can be a horse backside and correct but then again maybe not.

Johnny is not the number 1 need this offseason for Flyers (its rhd after the season but can't before ed) but if he not going to resign it would be silly not to investigate. This was my testing of the waters. Calgary fan seems to believe they are very much in the running to resign Johnny and wrong x100000 to trade now.That pretty much covers 7 pages for you ;).

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Gaudreau will be 29 when he hits UFA...

If you're Calgary, are you comfortable re-signing him for 7 years at 10 million a season?

Panarin got 11.6
Stone got 9.5
Skinner got 9

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ledge And Dairy

If you're Calgary, are you comfortable re-signing him for 7 years at 10 million a season?

Panarin got 11.6
Stone got 9.5
Skinner got 9
Yeah probably, unless Barkov has publically announced he wants to play in Calgary (very unlikely but not impossible).

You bring up 3 players at the end here? 2 of which are well worth their contracts and the 3rd an obvious outlier. What are you trying to say?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
JH is like zebra: white stripe, black stripe, white stripe, black stripe... ass. When this ass comes, those, who give him big money will cry really bad.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah probably, unless Barkov has publically announced he wants to play in Calgary (very unlikely but not impossible).

You bring up 3 players at the end here? 2 of which are well worth their contracts and the 3rd an obvious outlier. What are you trying to say?

Those were the most recent UFA wingers to sign expensive long term deals, so I was using them as references

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
JH is like zebra: white stripe, black stripe, white stripe, black stripe... ass. When this ass comes, those, who give him big money will cry really bad.
Yeah they are going to regret a guy who will routinely score a PPG...
The guy is one of the most talented players in the league. He’s not going to slow down anytime soon.

Reactions: Tkachuky

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Gaudreau is so talented. I believe CGY should try to add to him rather than trade him. They have been inconsistent since the start of the season but Gaudreau is not to blame. He and Markstrom are the main reasons CGY is having some success.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah they are going to regret a guy who will routinely score a PPG...
The guy is one of the most talented players in the league. He’s not going to slow down anytime soon.

In his last 6 seasons he was PPG or above 3 times, i.e. exactly what I say. Add to this the fact he rutinely drives Calgary fans mad by his playoffs inabilities.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
In his last 6 seasons he was PPG or above 3 times, i.e. exactly what I say. Add to this the fact he rutinely drives Calgary fans mad by his playoffs inabilities.

he’s a top ten scorer since he entered the league. All the guys around him are considered the greatest players in the league and pretty much all of them have better linemates.

But we know, Gaudreau sucks, he gets his points because of luck. Not a top 50 player or top 15 prospect according to the HF experts.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
he’s a top ten scorer since he entered the league. All the guys around him are considered the greatest players in the league and pretty much all of them have better linemates.

But we know, Gaudreau sucks, he gets his points because of luck. Not a top 50 player or top 15 prospect according to the HF experts.

I love, how you ignore my points...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The playoff production? Should the capitals have let go of Ovechkin? Should the Wings have let go of Datsyuk?

Ovi is almost PPG in the playoffs. Dats was pivotal for Detroit during its successful cup run. The best Gaudreau showed in playoffs was 6 years ago, when he scored 9 points in 11 games.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ovi is almost PPG in the playoffs. Dats was pivotal for Detroit during its successful cup run. The best Gaudreau showed in playoffs was 6 years ago, when he scored 9 points in 11 games.

both those guys were terrible in the playoffs for the first six or seven years. Fans were asking the same questions of those players, I remember the outrage at Datsyuk signing that big extension. The skill shone through eventually. Thanks for proving my point.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The playoff production? Should the capitals have let go of Ovechkin? Should the Wings have let go of Datsyuk?

Ovechkin had 25 goals, 50 points and was +13 in his first 37 playoff games

Gaudreau has 19 points, and is -8 in 30 playoff games to date

Reactions: _Del_

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
both those guys were terrible in the playoffs for the first six or seven years. Fans were asking the same questions of those players, I remember the outrage at Datsyuk signing that big extension. The skill shone through eventually. Thanks for proving my point.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean both things can be true...

A) Gaudreau is a fabulous talent, a true star and one of the best wingers in the league...and amazingly still only 27 years-old. It would take an absolutely blockbuster of a deal to move him with package of true blue talent going back to Calgary that you’re definitely going to have a fit over giving up.

B) He has struggled in the playoffs - some combination of his style and maybe some bad luck and just an overall small sample size compared to many regular seasons of star production. I watched Sam “Big Game” Bennett basically look like the Flames’ true star for a series in which Gaudreau completely disappeared. That happened. But it doesn’t override his accomplishments or preclude him from being a big playoff producer in the future.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

people were all over ovechkin. Don’t act like it wasnt true.

especially around 2012 ish I think? People said he would never win. Ovechkin also had a better supporting cast. Only now are the Flames capable behind Gaudreau. Games 4-6 of Dallas and Winnipeg showed me that Johnny is on the verge of breaking out in the playoffs.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
people were all over ovechkin. Don’t act like it wasnt true.

especially around 2012 ish I think? People said he would never win. Ovechkin also had a better supporting cast. Only now are the Flames capable behind Gaudreau. Games 4-6 of Dallas and Winnipeg showed me that Johnny is on the verge of breaking out in the playoffs.

You said Ovechkin was "terrible in the playoffs for the first 6 or 7 years"... now you're changing it to "people said he would never win"

He had a playoff PPG average of 1.35 after his first 37 playoff games... which would've put him 4th all-time

Fun fact:
Ovechkin averaged more goals in his first 37 playoff games than Gaudreau has averaged points in the playoffs

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You said Ovechkin was "terrible in the playoffs for the first 6 or 7 years"... now you're changing it to "people said he would never win"

He had a playoff PPG average of 1.35 after his first 37 playoff games... which would've put him 4th all-time

Fun fact:
Ovechkin averaged more goals in his first 37 playoff games than Gaudreau has averaged points in the playoffs

Gaudreau has been poor in the playoffs but Ovechkin was too. You completely ignored that part of my argument to emphasize points, as if nothing else matters, again. Anyway Johnny will break out at some point, he showed signs last year, and prove HF wrong for the billionth time.

edit: ALSO just looked at the stats. In the following 35 playoff games Ovechkin had 20 points. Very HF caliber argument of you lol

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

Panarin got 11.6
Stone got 9.5
Skinner got 9

weren't people POSITIVE that Pietrangelo would get 10+ for 8? dunno.. I just don't see Johnny Hockey getting 9+

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
weren't people POSITIVE that Pietrangelo would get 10+ for 8? dunno.. I just don't see Johnny Hockey getting 9+

I said something similar earlier in the thread, but it depends...

Gaudreau's agent will almost certainly cite the Skinner and Panarin contracts to justify the 10 million asking price

So, if Calgary is hellbent on signing him to an extension, I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the neighbourhood of 10 million per

I think it's considerably less likely he would get above 9 million on the open market though

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Gaudreau would be your best offensive player. Is that a complementary piece? He has his flaws (Struggles to get the puck out when it comes up his side and pulls the chute on winning puck races if a hit is coming) but he's good on the backcheck, very creative and makes plays out of nothing.

My best offensive player? As in the Blues or Flyers? Cuz neither would be true...his postseason 5 on 5 play is underwhelming when the physicality and intensity increase.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I said something similar earlier in the thread, but it depends...

Gaudreau's agent will almost certainly cite the Skinner and Panarin contracts to justify the 10 million asking price

So, if Calgary is hellbent on signing him to an extension, I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the neighbourhood of 10 million per

I think it's considerably less likely he would get above 9 million on the open market though

that agent can cite that all they want, but this is a different world these days, and those contracts are HIGHLY unlikely to happen any time soon.. IMO of course

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->