Speculation: Johnny Hockey

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So you think cause its a good deal for Philly, its the only deal for the Flames? ... plus if that was the offer philly would need to add another 1st or retain 2M+ on JVR

philly is the only team in the league didn’t you know.
The Flames absolutely will do Gaudreau a favour if he doesn’t re-sign and then trade him to his childhood favourite while simultaneously opening up the cap space they need to sign him long term
:sarcasm:

Reactions: FameFlame069

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
philly is the only team in the league didn’t you know.
The Flames absolutely will do Gaudreau a favour if he doesn’t re-sign and then trade him to his childhood favourite while simultaneously opening up the cap space they need to sign him long term
:sarcasm:

Oh i didn't know that... alright sounds like a dead deal to me.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You literally asked him to name other teams that would beat that offer and what those offers would be. That is like asking him to name how many stars will be visible outside 2 week from now. Such a ridiculous request. Maybe instead be reasonable and say "Hey, maybe my offer isn't enough and could very well be beaten if Gaudreau hits the market. Maybe I should make a better offer."

He speculated that teams would beat my offer...

At that point, it's reasonable to ask them to elaborate on which teams they think it would be, and what those offers would look like

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
My proposal from earlier in the thread...

To Philly: Gaudreau, Bennett

To Calgary: JVR, Patrick, 2021 1st

Gives Philly arguably the best top 9 in the league...

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Gaudreau - Hayes - Konecny
Lindblom - Frost - Farabee
FYI Frost out the year so Laughton to 3c Bennett to 4c with Raffl and Kubel. Still pretty darn good.

Ledge And Dairy

He speculated that teams would beat my offer...

At that point, it's reasonable to ask him to speculate further which teams it would be, and what those offers would look like
LMAO no its not, I speculate it will rain sometime in the next 6 months, do you expect me to speculate further and tell you what specific days it will rain and how much downpour there will be?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I personally think teams could beat that offer.
Possibly, but not if they believe Gaudreau has his heart set on becoming a UFA and signing in Philly regardless. Could teams beat that offer if Johnny is willing to commit to them long-term? I agree with you, yes.

From a Flyers perspective--JVR, Patrick and a 1st for Gaudreau and Bennett is a very good deal. Johnny gives the Flyers a dynamic, flashy forward and a good "hometown" story to market. Bennett and Patrick could both benefit from a new start IMO. Bennett due to his role and Patrick due to injuries and the pressure that comes with being drafted 2nd overall.

From a Flames perspective--they get a decent scorer in JVR who is actually a bit better than his stat line last year. They also get Patrick--who, if he can stay healthy, could tilt this deal in the Flames favor quite a bit. A 1st round pick is extremely valuable. I think the Flyers would even be willing to add a future 2nd round pick to the deal to make it happen, considering Gaudreau will likely be in their long-term plans.

I think this is a fair trade for a player who wants to play in Philly... and where there is presumed mutual interest.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
LMAO no its not, I speculate it will rain sometime in the next 6 months, do you expect me to speculate further and tell you what specific days it will rain and how much downpour there will be?

I'm surprised this needs to be explained, but...

By saying they think other teams would beat my offer, the poster is putting themselves in the position of the GMs who run those teams, and speculating on the price they would be willing to pay to acquire Gaudreau

Hence why I asked him to elaborate on which teams he had in mind, and what he imagined those offers might look like

One cannot, however, negotiate with the weather...

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Gaudreau would be an excellent pickup for the Flyers. If you can view him as more as a complimentary player in the playoffs rather than a core player, then his impact will be more appreciated. This move could put the Flyers over the top if their D and goaltending are intact.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Gaudreau would be an excellent pickup for the Flyers. If you can view him as more as a complimentary player in the playoffs rather than a core player, then his impact will be more appreciated. This move could put the Flyers over the top if their D and goaltending are intact.
Gaudreau would be your best offensive player. Is that a complementary piece? He has his flaws (Struggles to get the puck out when it comes up his side and pulls the chute on winning puck races if a hit is coming) but he's good on the backcheck, very creative and makes plays out of nothing.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013
How's Nolan's migraines? Idk if migraines and Chinook weather systems are a great match

Reactions: Nanuuk

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Gaudreau would be your best offensive player. Is that a complementary piece? He has his flaws (Struggles to get the puck out when it comes up his side and pulls the chute on winning puck races if a hit is coming) but he's good on the backcheck, very creative and makes plays out of nothing.

JG's regular season production is not the question mark. It's his 5x5 postseason production, when physical play gets turned up that is the question mark.

Reactions: BlueMed

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Jvr 1st and a prospect is about right but I wouldn't do patrick and frost is out for the year.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
NHL Rumors: Johnny Gaudreau to the Flyers inevitable? - The Daily Goal Horn
Per Eric Francis podcast

Yeah it is an article along the lines of water is still wet but says Johnny won't resign in Calgary. And leading candidate where Johnny signs is Philly.

So 3 questions. 1) For Flyers, is the goal to acquire him now or wait 1.75 years and sign just for the cash.

2) Is Calgary goal win at all cost next 1.75 years or get what u can now?

2) Is there a realistic trade that can be made today between the 2 teams. No shot Flyers trade a d man now. (Maybe Sanheim in off season.) Trading Konecny at 4.75 controlled years makes little sense for 1.75 year of controlled Johnny and then pay 9m to resign.

Fire away.

haven't read the whole string yet, so this has prolly been covered, but it sounds like Philly has wanted Johnny Hockey for awhile, and their team is primed to make a nice run this year.
so makes sense to go after him now, right?
now... what does it cost? that's the jagged pill. It's gonna sting.. but if it's doable, I don't see a reason why Philly would wait another ~2 yrs

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Possibly, but not if they believe Gaudreau has his heart set on becoming a UFA and signing in Philly regardless. Could teams beat that offer if Johnny is willing to commit to them long-term? I agree with you, yes.

From a Flyers perspective--JVR, Patrick and a 1st for Gaudreau and Bennett is a very good deal. Johnny gives the Flyers a dynamic, flashy forward and a good "hometown" story to market. Bennett and Patrick could both benefit from a new start IMO. Bennett due to his role and Patrick due to injuries and the pressure that comes with being drafted 2nd overall.

From a Flames perspective--they get a decent scorer in JVR who is actually a bit better than his stat line last year. They also get Patrick--who, if he can stay healthy, could tilt this deal in the Flames favor quite a bit. A 1st round pick is extremely valuable. I think the Flyers would even be willing to add a future 2nd round pick to the deal to make it happen, considering Gaudreau will likely be in their long-term plans.

I think this is a fair trade for a player who wants to play in Philly... and where there is presumed mutual interest.

I agree that a 2nd or sweetner would prolly need to be added

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
haven't read the whole string yet, so this has prolly been covered, but it sounds like Philly has wanted Johnny Hockey for awhile, and their team is primed to make a nice run this year.
so makes sense to go after him now, right?
now... what does it cost? that's the jagged pill. It's gonna sting.. but if it's doable, I don't see a reason why Philly would wait another ~2 yrs

There haven't been any rumors that Philly has wanted Gaudreau. I'm sure they'd be interested in a player of his caliber, but then so would any team. There are rumors that Gaudreau wants to play in Philly given that he was raised in the area, but I suspect that's more lazy reporters making lazy assumptions than anything else.

Reactions: Flamesgod

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
There haven't been any rumors that Philly has wanted Gaudreau. I'm sure they'd be interested in a player of his caliber, but then so would any team. There are rumors that Gaudreau wants to play in Philly given that he was raised in the area, but I suspect that's more lazy reporters making lazy assumptions than anything else.
gotcha. I prolly misread that then

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Call me crazy but I think he resigns with the Flames. Thus, I'd just keep him if I were you
Wonder if we will see a repeat?

There was a fanbase what tried to rub it Flyers fans faces because their guy re-signed instead of "going home". Didn't turn out the best for Ottawa or Bobby Ryan.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Boston should float Debrusk and Vaak for Johnny and start from there. See what needs to be added

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad