Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Whats the point in engaging in discussions about numbers? The guy doesn't even know if he wants to be here. They can figure out the numbers in about 30 minutes. More importantly, Tavares has to decide whether he even wants to come to the table.

Agree, the money is pretty clear. However, what is uncertain is the arena situation, what is the temporary solution if Belmont is a go, and what the cap situation looks like next year for all 30 NHL teams, ie. who can afford JT, if he decides to explore the UFA market.

He's in the driver seat. He plays and allows the team the longest time possible to figure out the arena situation, then he gets to see what options he has around the rest of the league. Smart move on his part.

Isles can't really do much besides the arena situation.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I honestly feel bad for JT if he leaves about the treatment some of the mouth breathers are gonna give him when he returns for games. He's gonna be flat out abused. The real fans I think will definitely understand why he left

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
If Tavares' reluctance to re-sign is due to the ice/arena situation, then why is it even a possibility he re-signs? Even if a new arena is built, aren't the Isles basically stuck at Barclay's for the next 3-4 years (or however long it takes to build a new arena)?

If the ice or travel to the arena situation is that big of a factor, then how does this situation get rectified to convince him to stay since those things will be a factor for at least the first 3 or 4 seasons of his extension?

It really makes no sense for Tavares to re-sign an Islander, except for pure loyalty, or wanting to finish something he started. Tavares, Snow, Weight, Wang and Capuano were all there for day 1 and many still around in key roles. That's the only competitive differentiator the NYI have.

At 26 he can sign for 7 years and prob McDavid money (as a UFA) and is young enough to make a serious run at a cup as a major contributor to a team. Something he probably doesn't get in Long Island.

It's a very compelling proposition and I think most people in his position would seriously consider moving on.

I think his bond with Weight, Snow and the players is a strong one - but if this year doesn't go well, it's likely Snow, Weight are gone (it's unlikely those two are around for another 7-8 years).

To me. This year, the start the team has, is absolutely crucial.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It really makes no sense for Tavares to re-sign an Islander, except for pure loyalty, or wanting to finish something he started. Tavares, Snow, Weight, Wang and Capuano were all there for day 1 and many still around in key roles. That's the only competitive differentiator the NYI have.

At 26 he can sign for 7 years and prob McDavid money (as a UFA) and is young enough to make a serious run at a cup as a major contributor to a team. Something he probably doesn't get in Long Island.

It's a very compelling proposition and I think most people in his position would seriously consider moving on.

I think his bond with Weight, Snow and the players is a strong one - but if this year doesn't go well, it's likely Snow, Weight are gone (it's unlikely those two are around for another 7-8 years).

To me. This year, the start the team has, is absolutely crucial.

I'd be amazed if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year. I personally don't feel outside of Carolina the division got much better and the Rangers and Jackets had insane runs last year that probably skewed their seasons.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
SI90, I don't think he wants to play out his career in Brooklyn.

Its amazing. First it was the NVMC that no one wanted to come play in. Then isles get "fitted" into a brand new state of the art arena, and its still their downfall. Sucks man.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This isnt Nassau or BK.. John Tavares does not want to be apart of this team anymore. He would of been signed by now. The man who traded Vanek for Collberg is now responsible for trading John Tavares. I cant wait for the draft picks!!!

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Well glad everyone is waking up to the sad truth. our superstar wants out like Lafontaine did. Will Tavares memory legacy be erased by the team like Lafontaine? If we know Wang, Yes. Ledecky We dont know but he has little to no involvement in hockey matters. better chance we see dipietro in the rafters then Tavares after hes traded or walks.

Still hanging onto the idea that Wang has something to do with the team still, huh? :laugh::shakehead

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Its amazing. First it was the NVMC that no one wanted to come play in. Then isles get "fitted" into a brand new state of the art arena, and its still their downfall. Sucks man.

it isnt the arena.. Its the Organization. I want a Stanley Cup.. I aint winning it with this team.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This isnt Nassau or BK.. John Tavares does not want to be apart of this team anymore. He would of been signed by now. The man who traded Vanek for Collberg is now responsible for trading John Tavares. I cant wait for the draft picks!!!
He can solve that rather quickly by asking for a trade. He doesn't need to be part of the team anymore. Except, he is choosing to do so. Hmmm...

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
He can solve that rather quickly by asking for a trade. He doesn't need to be part of the team anymore. Except, he is choosing to do so. Hmmm...

I wouldnt ask for a trade, I want to pad my stats and get $$$$$ as a Free Agent. This is a business.. He wants to be one of the highest paid in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wouldnt ask for a trade, I want to pad my stats and get $$$$$ as a Free Agent. This is a business.. He wants to be one of the highest paid in the NHL.

I don't think a player of Tavares' reputation or stature needs to pad his stats for one year in order to land a bigger pay day. No club will watch him closely this year and think, "You know, I was going to pay him $12 million per year if he scored 80 points, but since he only scored 70 points I can't see myself going above $9.5 million per year".

The players who typically have to stat-pad are players who aren't proven stars, and want to prove that they can cash in as a 30-goal guy (even though their career high was 20) or a 60-point guy (even though they were a career 40 point guy). Or a former elite player who has struggled for a handful of seasons and wants to prove he can regain that elite status.

That's not Tavares. Teams know enough about Tavares at this point that whatever production he has this year will likely not affect what they'd be willing to pay him. So there's zero reason for him to have to pad his stats this season in order to get more next summer.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If JT leaves the arena will be the #1 reason why, and some of you still won't see how that is 100% wang's fault.

For the millionth time...Barclays was originally designed as a TWO-SPORT arena, but wang was so stupidly blindly loyal to Nassau then Barclays had to move forward, and without a 2nd major tenant (like the Islanders), they had to cut costs and did so by making it just a basketball arena.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If JT leaves the arena will be the #1 reason why, and some of you still won't see how that is 100% wang's fault.

For the millionth time...Barclays was originally designed as a TWO-SPORT arena, but wang was so stupidly blindly loyal to Nassau then Barclays had to move forward, and without a 2nd major tenant (like the Islanders), they had to cut costs and did so by making it just a basketball arena.

Not sure what to think of this: Meanwhile in KC that built an arena with no tenant. A lot goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Hard to say either way, but I'd never say someone is 100% to blame in a situation without knowing for sure.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Might have a financial crisis in the middle where the banks tightened up the credit, thus scaling back the cost of the project. But why consider that in this discussion.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Only article I can find about specifics is that the Barclay's center wants to do pretty much exactly what Wang wanted to do with the colieseum. The difference being one was able to get approval while the other was met by the brick wall that is LI politics.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/what-comes-second-the-lesson-of-the-barclays-center

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
A first in 2021, and another in 2023, plus a player to be named later(John Sim?).

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Only article I can find about specifics is that the Barclay's center wants to do pretty much exactly what Wang wanted to do with the colieseum. The difference being one was able to get approval while the other was met by the brick wall that is LI politics.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/what-comes-second-the-lesson-of-the-barclays-center
Specifically the builders asked Wang if he was interested, he declined. They must have wanted at least cab fare to set the arena up for hockey. Not everything makes it into the paper.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Specifically the builders asked Wang if he was interested, he declined. They must have wanted at least cab fare to set the arena up for hockey. Not everything makes it into the paper.

Hindsight is 20/20. Had Wang jumped on the Barclays bandwagon early, Long Islanders would consider him a traitor for abandoning LI and the Lighthouse project.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I am curious how motivated the owners are going to be to seek a new arena in NY if it is looking like Tavares is not going to re-sign, probably going to hang around Brooklyn if that is the case and if the attendance is going to inevitably start plummeting look to get rid of the team.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I am curious how motivated the owners are going to be to seek a new arena in NY if it is looking like Tavares is not going to re-sign, probably going to hang around Brooklyn if that is the case and if the attendance is going to inevitably start plummeting look to get rid of the team.

Might be a little more economics involved than JT...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The owners should be very interested in building their own arena whether Tavares wants to stay here or not. The arena at Belmont plus the related project they would have a stake in will provide revenue streams for the Islanders they will never have in Brooklyn, not to mention a long term home where they are the landlords.

John Tavares is 28 years old and reasonably can be expected to play 10 more years. A new arena will be the Isles home long after Tavares is gone.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Hindsight is 20/20. Had Wang jumped on the Barclays bandwagon early, Long Islanders would consider him a traitor for abandoning LI and the Lighthouse project.
I am not saying he should have said yes. I think the Lighthouse was still gasping for air when the proposal came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad