Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'd just like to know...If next June rolls around and Ledecky/Malkin and still doing everything possible to get Belmont done, but they're still cutting through red tape and still not sure if it will...What does Tavares do then?

And if JT wants to see improvement from the team in terms of on the ice talent...His entire career was with snow as GM. Don't you think he (and us) should know what kind of GMing he's going to get as long as snow is employed?

One has to wonder if in the most backhanded way JT actually wants snow gone, but would never say that directly.

this may go down as one of the most annoying NYI seasons in a long time. That says alot because as fans we have endured some rough times. This Tavares circus will just pick up speed all year and eventually will be a huge snowball. what a distraction this can be...

Heck I'm annoyed and it's not even September yet

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Looks to be 3pcs to the puzzle to sign JT. Improve team on paper, actually improve the teams on ice performance and get arena settled all during this upcoming season.

The first 2 are in the teams control. If the ownership feels confident about getting the arena in Belmont, then you give the order to Snow to make a move for Duchene, moving out top prospects and picks (some combo of Barzal/Sorokin/2018 1st Rounders). That improves the team on paper now and should improve the team on ice for the upcoming season. Then it comes down to winning the RFP which won't be decided until around and most likely after the trade deadline, Late Feb or into Mar.

So if you're confident of getting the Belmont arena, then you sacrifice a little of the future to keep JT on the Islanders, if you are not sure about it, then you keep the prospects, hope the team improves on ice and the arena is settled by end of reg season so JT will stay.

This is pretty much how I feel. Really, my mind set falls in line with the 2nd paragraph. They have to be really competitive this year or JT is going to walk. The isles only have themselves to blame if he doesn't sign. Way to many mistakes from ownership and management. Very little accountability within the org itself. I can't believe JT has never played under any other GM then Garth. Massive mistake.

They need Duchene or an equivalent as a strart to signing JT.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
this may go down as one of the most annoying NYI seasons in a long time. That says alot because as fans we have endured some rough times. This Tavares circus will just pick up speed all year and eventually will be a huge snowball. what a distraction this can be...

Heck I'm annoyed and it's not even September yet

They all seem to be getting annoying now. This org is underachieving. It os very hard to continue to watch Snow operate this org.

If Nothing changes and JT walks can we blame him? Would we really be able to look back and say this org did everything it could to keep him?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think that a lot about the arena will become much more clear by that time, even if other hurdles arise. It needs to be selected before any other hurdles can come up.

You hate Snow and I get that, but I really don't think Tavares wants Snow to go because there's really no reason for him to not have said so in private. I get the sense it's less about the on ice product and more about the arena because he already knows what Snow is and if he didn't like that Snow would've been replaced.

I don't hate snow. I think he's a poor GM and I want him gone so my favorite team can have more success, much the same way I've wanted my friend to break up with certain girlfriends so we can have fun again.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't hate snow. I think he's a poor GM and I want him gone so my favorite team can have more success, much the same way I've wanted my friend to break up with certain girlfriends so we can have fun again.

I definitely hate Snow for his **** show of drafting in the first round. If he hit on 2 of the 3 we wouldn't be in this situation

Strome
Reinhart
Nino

You hit on 2 out of the 3 guys this team is a very different right now.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Darren Drager:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/902897740354609153

Also here is an Arthur Staple radio interview:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/staple-no-numbers-discussed-but-tavares-holds-the-cards-1.842871

In the interview he said the islanders would be able to go into next off-season without a deal. God help us.

Whats the point in engaging in discussions about numbers? The guy doesn't even know if he wants to be here. They can figure out the numbers in about 30 minutes. More importantly, Tavares has to decide whether he even wants to come to the table.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's the Barclays ice. No new arena and Tavares is gone no matter how much the isles offer him.

They'll fix the ice deal I think if Belmont doesn't happen. I'm not sure that's enough to keep him though. He may still worry they would relocate if Belmont doesn't happen. I don't think they would bsxzuzs I get the impression from Yormark interviews recently that they dont want the team out they just don't want to have to pay them 50 mill a year

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I've been solidly in the "he will sign" camp all along... but my god after hearing this arthur staple interview.. doesn't sound good. "He's not ready to sign." "He has concerns"... first i've heard that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think the setup of Brooklyn is a red flag for him, similar to how it was for Vanek.

I don't think Tavares will sign up for eight more years at Barclays even if they plan on fixing the ice there.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I've always been in the camp that he would re-sign but I must admit the shadows of doubt are starting to take hold. Axel574 = Worried.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I said it a few months ago and now it will be funny if it turns out.. Best case scenario, isles deal Tavares due to uncertainty. We get a huge return. Then, 12 months from now, the arena situation gets worked out and Tavares returns on a 7 year deal..

a guy can dream, can't he....

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I said it a few months ago and now it will be funny if it turns out.. Best case scenario, isles deal Tavares due to uncertainty. We get a huge return. Then, 12 months from now, the arena situation gets worked out and Tavares returns on a 7 year deal..

a guy can dream, can't he....

That may happen in a scenario if for some reason the Belmont decision doesn't come down by 3/1. The problem is teams will be very reluctant to offer a big haul in that situation knowing that if before 7/1 the Isles win the proposal that he would probably come back

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Tavares' reluctance to re-sign is due to the ice/arena situation, then why is it even a possibility he re-signs? Even if a new arena is built, aren't the Isles basically stuck at Barclay's for the next 3-4 years (or however long it takes to build a new arena)?

If the ice or travel to the arena situation is that big of a factor, then how does this situation get rectified to convince him to stay since those things will be a factor for at least the first 3 or 4 seasons of his extension?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If Tavares' reluctance to re-sign is due to the ice/arena situation, then why is it even a possibility he re-signs? Even if a new arena is built, aren't the Isles basically stuck at Barclay's for the next 3-4 years (or however long it takes to build a new arena)?

If the ice or travel to the arena situation is that big of a factor, then how does this situation get rectified to convince him to stay since those things will be a factor for at least the first 3 or 4 seasons of his extension?

I've been wondering the same thing.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Tavares doesn't care about the arena situation. If Belmont goes through, the first season there probably wouldn't be until 2021/22 season (4 years into his extension) and hes going to get paid whatever he wants. Its all about whether or not he feels this team will compete for a cup during that contract, period.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's all weird. 6 months ago I would have never in a million years thought Tavares would leave. Original team that drafted him, captain and will be immortalized if he played his whole career here.

Now, I'm feeling less and less confident by the day that he stays.

The reason I'm confused is it can't be about money because the isles would give him most likely anything he wants.

Reports says he wants to wait and see what the team does? What's does that even mean? What more moves is there to make that could sway his decision?

He says he wants to stay and he knows/believes in Snows commitment to winning.

So what the hell is the reason for him to be holding out signing a long term deal and risking injury?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tavares doesn't care about the arena situation. If Belmont goes through, the first season there probably wouldn't be until 2021/22 season (4 years into his extension) and hes going to get paid whatever he wants. Its all about whether or not he feels this team will compete for a cup during that contract, period.

I'm assuming he thinks if the team stays in Brooklyn they won't be able to draw any legit free agents and the team won't ever be that good

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Win a cup. Or come close.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Well glad everyone is waking up to the sad truth. our superstar wants out like Lafontaine did. Will Tavares memory legacy be erased by the team like Lafontaine? If we know Wang, Yes. Ledecky We dont know but he has little to no involvement in hockey matters. better chance we see dipietro in the rafters then Tavares after hes traded or walks.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Well glad everyone is waking up to the sad truth. our superstar wants out like Lafontaine did. Will Tavares memory legacy be erased by the team like Lafontaine? If we know Wang, Yes. Ledecky We dont know but he has little to no involvement in hockey matters. better chance we see dipietro in the rafters then Tavares after hes traded or walks.

'legacy' - in the grand scheme of things JT hasn't done much of anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad