Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Evidently someone said Bossy was on radio in Montreal and claims Tavares turned down 8 years 10.5 million. I can't imagine this is true because we would have heard about this somehow if it was

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Evidently someone said Bossy was on radio in Montreal and claims Tavares turned down 8 years 10.5 million. I can't imagine this is true because we would have heard about this somehow if it was

That's not something difficult to speculate. Tavares doesn't want to sign right now so anyone can say he turned down whatever offer and it would be believable.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
When Jose reyes left the mets he said they never offered him a contract...of any sort. which upset the mets because they didnt actually send him a contract by fax but they were talking about one. I would say its close to a 100% certaintly the Isles at least gave tavares a contract--it covers the isles when all the books and articles are written about this when he walks or is traded. Im convinced Tavares is not planning on signing unless they make a nashville type of miracle run in the playoffs and even then, if he cant get a contract with the penguins, chicago, or toronto/montreal/ottawa. The whole arena thing makes no sense, hed still be stuck on bad ice for 4 years while that gets built, driving to brooklyn while its not fun, the easy travel schedule being close to the rangers and devils and philly more then makes up for that issue. The man wants to win a cup or be with his Canadien career woman. I dont see a argument for anything else.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When Jose reyes left the mets he said they never offered him a contract...of any sort. which upset the mets because they didnt actually send him a contract by fax but they were talking about one. I would say its close to a 100% certaintly the Isles at least gave tavares a contract--it covers the isles when all the books and articles are written about this when he walks or is traded. Im convinced Tavares is not planning on signing unless they make a nashville type of miracle run in the playoffs and even then, if he cant get a contract with the penguins, chicago, or toronto/montreal/ottawa. The whole arena thing makes no sense, hed still be stuck on bad ice for 4 years while that gets built, driving to brooklyn while its not fun, the easy travel schedule being close to the rangers and devils and philly more then makes up for that issue. The man wants to win a cup or be with his Canadien career woman. I dont see a argument for anything else.

He's not getting a contract from the Penguins, Chicago, Toronto, or Ottawa. So I don't know what you're going on about. Why would anyone give a contract offer to someone in writing if they were verbally told "no" to it? It makes zero sense and is a waste of everyone's time. They don't care about what's written in the books or articles.

The arena thing makes sense. He may be willing to spend some years while the arena is built, but not the entirety of his contract. He may also want the issues with the ice resolved in Brooklyn if there isn't a new arena coming. He may also want more money if he's staying in Brooklyn compared to Belmont/Queens. The fact is, you don't have a clue and are just speculating based off of nothing but your own narrative. The teams you project that he'd get a contract from aren't offering him deals, except Montreal. None can afford his new deal and if you think he's taking a sweetheart deal for one of those teams to win a championship, I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can't see that post... what did it say?

Bossy had reported that JT rejected the isles 7-8 yr $84m extension offer.Which of course opposing fans love to hear, opening the door to their crap proposals.

Seafoam posted links from Staple, denying the isles even made an offer and saying it is the arena issue and team competitiveness, that will decide whether Tavares stays.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
In fairness, Bossy and Staple can both be right.

The $10.5 figure just happens to be what Kane/Toews make, the highest contract in the league before McDavid re-signed. The Isles could have said they would pay Tavares as much as the top players in the league, and he could have said its not about money, he's not ready to sign.

I don't think anyone doubts that it will cost that much to sign JT, or that if he was willing to sign for $10.5M it would already be done. So, I don't see much newsworthy here.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There is going to an outclause (thats right, another one) in JT's contract, saying if the Isles dont get a new arena in Belmont,,, hes off to Toronto.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There is going to an outclause (thats right, another one) in JT's contract, saying if the Isles dont get a new arena in Belmont,,, hes off to Toronto.

If that was the case you figure he already would have signed. I said that's the best thing to do now for both sides that way if you have to trade him you get a ton back because he's locked up for years. The only negative in that whole thing is JT doesn't choose where he gets traded although I'm sure Snow would try his best to move him somewhere he desires while also getting the best return

TexMurphyPI

Feb 11, 2003
Looks to be 3pcs to the puzzle to sign JT. Improve team on paper, actually improve the teams on ice performance and get arena settled all during this upcoming season.

The first 2 are in the teams control. If the ownership feels confident about getting the arena in Belmont, then you give the order to Snow to make a move for Duchene, moving out top prospects and picks (some combo of Barzal/Sorokin/2018 1st Rounders). That improves the team on paper now and should improve the team on ice for the upcoming season. Then it comes down to winning the RFP which won't be decided until around and most likely after the trade deadline, Late Feb or into Mar.

So if you're confident of getting the Belmont arena, then you sacrifice a little of the future to keep JT on the Islanders, if you are not sure about it, then you keep the prospects, hope the team improves on ice and the arena is settled by end of reg season so JT will stay.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In fairness, Bossy and Staple can both be right.

The $10.5 figure just happens to be what Kane/Toews make, the highest contract in the league before McDavid re-signed. The Isles could have said they would pay Tavares as much as the top players in the league, and he could have said its not about money, he's not ready to sign.

I don't think anyone doubts that it will cost that much to sign JT, or that if he was willing to sign for $10.5M it would already be done. So, I don't see much newsworthy here.

Except Staple is saying the two sides have not even discussed numbers.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Except Staple is saying the two sides have not even discussed numbers.

Staples has to say what the team wants him to or he gets banned like Botta. To me, Tavares did reject the isles offer already. The isles wanted to sign him...a month ago. hes like "not interested. maybe some day when you become something your not currently and havnt been in 32 years...but until you become that im not interested. ". its like you tell your 6 years girlfriend you want to get married. Shes like ask me someday when you have ambition and a career. you got rejected if you bought the ring or not.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Staples has to say what the team wants him to or he gets banned like Botta. To me, Tavares did reject the isles offer already. The isles wanted to sign him...a month ago. hes like "not interested. maybe some day when you become something your not currently and havnt been in 32 years...but until you become that im not interested. ". its like you tell your 6 years girlfriend you want to get married. Shes like ask me someday when you have ambition and a career. you got rejected if you bought the ring or not.

That's not how Staple does his job. Enough of this nonsense.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles have 1 beat writer. Staple.

A few seasons ago they were desperate enough to get more coverage that they encouraged bloggers to cover the team and I believe gave some locker room access.
Not very likely that they are banning the only legitimate and consistent press coverage that they have.

Yeah, I m sure that on July 1st the isles did want to sign Tavares. The fact that they didn't/couldn't is explained in Staple's tweets that Tavares wants to know A)where the team will play the length of his contract and B) how competitive the team will be.

Staple indicated that the isles won't argue salary, that Tavares is in the driver's seat as far as dollars and term.Unfortunately for the isles, dollar and term are not Tavares biggest concerns.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He said "barely talked numbers." Saying "we'll pay you like the top players in the league" would fit with that.

He also said the isles never offered the 8 yrs/ $84m Bossy threw out.Bossy did not say Tavares rejected a huge isles offer.He mentioned exact numbers.

It is more likely that the isles wanted to open extension talks and were told by Brisson or Tavares that JT's biggest concerns are the arena issue and how competitive the team will be, that those need to be addressed before even starting discussing dollars and term.If you cannot address the two biggest concerns, why bother discussing lesser concerns? Tavares knows he is getting a huge contract from someone.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I'd just like to know...If next June rolls around and Ledecky/Malkin and still doing everything possible to get Belmont done, but they're still cutting through red tape and still not sure if it will...What does Tavares do then?

And if JT wants to see improvement from the team in terms of on the ice talent...His entire career was with snow as GM. Don't you think he (and us) should know what kind of GMing he's going to get as long as snow is employed?

One has to wonder if in the most backhanded way JT actually wants snow gone, but would never say that directly.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'd just like to know...If next June rolls around and Ledecky/Malkin and still doing everything possible to get Belmont done, but they're still cutting through red tape and still not sure if it will...What does Tavares do then?

And if JT wants to see improvement from the team in terms of on the ice talent...His entire career was with snow as GM. Don't you think he (and us) should know what kind of GMing he's going to get as long as snow is employed?

One has to wonder if in the most backhanded way JT actually wants snow gone, but would never say that directly.

I think that a lot about the arena will become much more clear by that time, even if other hurdles arise. It needs to be selected before any other hurdles can come up.

You hate Snow and I get that, but I really don't think Tavares wants Snow to go because there's really no reason for him to not have said so in private. I get the sense it's less about the on ice product and more about the arena because he already knows what Snow is and if he didn't like that Snow would've been replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino