Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The fiancé is out of Grad school and has an established career here in The Toronto area. I would assume she would like to stay around here. But with a husband making over 10m US a year, I think his career holds more weight. Also John is a real suburban kind of guy. I'm sure the stories of him not liking Brooklyn too much have some basis. Because even here in the summers he lives in the burbs and is rarely seen in the downtown Toronto area.

I remember seeing an interview or an article about John in which he practically raved about the commute to the Coliseum, mentioning that he loved how it was like three total turns and was very convenient. :laugh:

So I think the suburban area thing has some merit, and he just really values conveniences.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I remember seeing an interview or an article about John in which he practically raved about the commute to the Coliseum, mentioning that he loved how it was like three total turns and was very convenient. :laugh:

So I think the suburban area thing has some merit, and he just really values conveniences.

When Tavares was drafted by the Islanders he was 18 years old and didn't have his driver's license yet. The team helped him get one. So the bolded certainly rings true to me.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The fiancé is out of Grad school and has an established career here in The Toronto area. I would assume she would like to stay around here. But with a husband making over 10m US a year, I think his career holds more weight. Also John is a real suburban kind of guy. I'm sure the stories of him not liking Brooklyn too much have some basis. Because even here in the summers he lives in the burbs and is rarely seen in the downtown Toronto area.

Out of curiosity I looked her up online.

Ironically, she has the exact degree I have in the States and she is in the same profession as I.

Trust me, if her soon to be hubby is making $10 million plus a year, there is NOTHING other than family that would hold her back from wanting to be close to him in NY. Heck, I own my own clinic here in Florida and my wife and I are planning to start a new practice in NY because we miss it too much.

I'm pretty sure his fiance's professional life is not an issue. If there is one thing true about our field is that unless you own your own practice we are known to travel from job to job and state to state and our license gives us a lot of flexibility.

Also it's not very difficult for her license to transfer to NY. It happens all the time as our educational systems are very comparable so there is some reciprocity in licensure.

Last edited:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

I honestly think Tavares liked Long Island, especially the Coliseum if it was full, but what legitimate NHLer would like playing at the Barclays Center if they had a choice to play anywhere else?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
http://www.tsn.ca/video/button-leafs-should-sign-tavares-to-a-one-year-deal~1189830

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/08/...he-leafs-and-tavares-is-not-that-far-fetched/

this person claims their is a "source" that it is a real possibility

I can't imagine how sick it would make me to see Tavares on the Leafs, but I am guessing if he had a choice that is the team he is going to

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1065557-tavares-would-not-count-on-me-joining-maple-leafs

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
http://www.tsn.ca/video/button-leafs-should-sign-tavares-to-a-one-year-deal~1189830

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/08/...he-leafs-and-tavares-is-not-that-far-fetched/

this person claims there is a "source" that it is a real possibility

I can't imagine how sick it would make me to see Tavares on the Leafs, but I am guessing if he had a choice that is the team he is going to

I dunno.

Tavares is a strong NHLPA guy... I can't see him doing the one-year thing at this stage in his career for that reason alone.. let alone the risk he's putting on his financial situation..

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Leddy and Boychcuk re-upped when we are at the Coliseum, and those other guys we significantly overpaid on

Zeeker was OBSCENELY overpaid -- almost makes me think our GM has no clue as to what he is doing....

I dunno, the greatest city in the world a few blocks over? :sarcasm:

That might be a reason for some -- many -- but not all. Not everyone is a big city person.

More important than a big city,, and money.. for JT is the ability to win a Cup. Its what drives the players to play as long and as hard as they have.

If I could get $10 mil/year from the Isles and win nothing.. or go to a contender, make 8.5 Million and have a much better chance of winning what I have wanted since I was 8....

Which one you think he is going to pick?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Leddy and Boychcuk re-upped when we are at the Coliseum, and those other guys we significantly overpaid on

You said no NHLer would willingly play at Barclays. I gave you FIVE examples to prove you were wrong. Stop with the excuses and drop it already.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Zeeker was OBSCENELY overpaid -- almost makes me think our GM has no clue as to what he is doing....

That might be a reason for some -- many -- but not all. Not everyone is a big city person.

More important than a big city,, and money.. for JT is the ability to win a Cup. Its what drives the players to play as long and as hard as they have.

If I could get $10 mil/year from the Isles and win nothing.. or go to a contender, make 8.5 Million and have a much better chance of winning what I have wanted since I was 8....

Which one you think he is going to pick?

What planet are you from sir, Cizikas was overpaid maybe by 500K to 1 M a year at the very most.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Always an excuse...

It's called "moving the goalposts" and it's often the last resort of someone who makes a BS claim and gets called out on it.

"What legit NHL player would play at Barclays if they had a choice to playing anywhere else?"
"Here are 5 legit NHLers who chose to play at Barclays when they would've definitely had many other options."
"They don't count!"

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's called "moving the goalposts" and it's often the last resort of someone who makes a BS claim and gets called out on it.

"What legit NHL player would play at Barclays if they had a choice to playing anywhere else?"
"Here are 5 legit NHLers who chose to play at Barclays when they would've definitely had many other options."
"They don't count!"

Exactly. I mean, it's no secret that the Islanders aren't exactly a choice destination for free agents. Whether they're playing in Nassau or Brooklyn. I think that all Islander fans recognize the teams' shortcomings. But to say no one wants to play at Barclays is ridiculous. As soon as the purse strings were opened up the FA's started to sign.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
You could've also added (i) Halak, who signed with the Isles after the move was announced, and while certainly flawed, is definitely a legit NHL player, and (ii) Chimera, who came off a great year in Washington and had another solid year last year.

Yes these guys aren't exactly all-stars, but if people are going to make bold statements that aren't factually true then they should be called out on that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad