Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
This is silly. Couldn't JT just have a clause put in his contact that if there's not a new arena, he has the option to be traded to a team on a list of his choosing? Not like the Isles are in position to not include that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is silly. Couldn't JT just have a clause put in his contact that if there's not a new arena, he has the option to be traded to a team on a list of his choosing? Not like the Isles are in position to not include that.

Can't imagine a clause like that would be allowed.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Based on many of his comments beyond Newsday I'm not convinced it's the arena only.

Another interpretation of his comments, which are limited by their nature, is that he's not anxious about a contract w NYI bc his heart isn't completely attached to NYI. He has been quoted as saying that he didn't want to focus on his contract during the draft and free agency period. He stated that he'd rather let Snow invest his attention on the roster. I suspect that JT isn't completely convinced he can win a cup here. He's a winner, has demonstrated that he wants to win w every ounce of his being. Just as he wants to be the best player he possibly can be.

Just my reading of the situation.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Here's my problem...

Tavares has said, numerous times Tavares has alluded to, and directly said, how much he likes it here and wants his career to keep going with the Isles. Just yesterday the Newdays article quoting him saying...

" I’m just a hockey player. I try to be as best prepared as I can be. It’s a big decision obviously because it’s eight years of my career, really entering into my prime years and a great opportunity for myself to achieve what I set out to achieve when I was a kid, making it to the NHL, wanting to win a Stanley Cup and wanting to do that with the Islanders.â€

If Tavares is really considering leaving the Islanders then why does he keep saying things like this? It would be such a slap in the face for him to keep alluding to stay over and over and over...And then leave. Especially when he also says things like:

"In terms of signing a new contract, there’s a lot that goes into it. To really dive into all the details, get into all the conversations I’ve had with Garth [Snow], the team and Doug [Weight], I don’t think it’s productive to the situation and the negotiating. I prefer to keep it all internal, that’s the best way to keep it all open, honest and healthy.â€

If JT is thinking about leaving he just shouldn't say anything to the press at all. It's not like he such a talkative guy. Either say nothing or just give more generic quotes. This "I really like it here" thing is really twisting with our hearts (especially if he's considering leaving).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So even after this you still consider him a "two-faced liar". :shakehead

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I think you would be a hard person to get along with if you can't even take the most honorable people by their word.

Unless you can show me where he specifically stated he would sign by last July 1st, then your perception of the situation is completely ridiculous.

Pot meet kettle

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Based on many of his comments beyond Newsday I'm not convinced it's the arena only.

Another interpretation of his comments, which are limited by their nature, is that he's not anxious about a contract w NYI bc his heart isn't completely attached to NYI. He has been quoted as saying that he didn't want to focus on his contract during the draft and free agency period. He stated that he'd rather let Snow invest his attention on the roster. I suspect that JT isn't completely convinced he can win a cup here. He's a winner, has demonstrated that he wants to win w every ounce of his being. Just as he wants to be the best player he possibly can be.

Just my reading of the situation.

Be careful, someone around here is picking out perceptions to call them ridiculous, especially if they are not the same as theirs!!!:shakehead

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
not trying to upset anyone but since im older ive seen many relationships end...due to...AMBITION. Tavares Ambition in his career is complete opposite of Wangs /Ledecky whos Ambition is to make money and in Wangs case make friends with hockey guys. like an aranged mariage...if the 2 partners are far apart it wont last forever. Never for a minute has Wang or Malkin pretended to be focused on a cup. Never for a minute has Tavares talked about caring about money. he signed for 75 cents on the dollar on his last deal. that indicates money doesnt make him happy. hes got desires more along the lines of a dynasty islander. if you are not about winning you are wasting everyones time. thats how al arbour torrey potvin triottier bossy gillies looked at hockey. wang and ledckys ambition is to get new arena flip the team at large profit in 15 years. thats not apealing or compatible to tavares or any winner who doesnt bow down to money.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
People need to stop parsing everything the guy says looking for hidden meanings. He's not speaking in riddles. It's a process, it's playing out...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's just a limited NMC coupled with a trade request.

Yeah, but that's very different than a clause kicking in that says he must be traded to a specific list of teams. What if those teams don't want to trade for him? What if the Isles don't want to trade him? I've never heard of a clause that forces a team to trade a player in a particular scenario.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
Be careful, someone around here is picking out perceptions to call them ridiculous, especially if they are not the same as theirs!!!:shakehead

Ok to be fair, you are right it's not ridiculous, just a perception that seems to be taking things to an extreme, but we should respect peoples opinions. So it's all good.:yo:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
People need to stop parsing everything the guy says looking for hidden meanings. He's not speaking in riddles. It's a process, it's playing out...

That's ridiculous!!! If you take Tavares' last interview and play it backwards at half-speed you can clearly hear him say 'I'm outta here going home to Toronto to win a cup sucka's!!'

Seriously though, great post by JKP. Certain posters here need to take off the tin-foil hats and relax.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Here's my problem...

Tavares has said, numerous times Tavares has alluded to, and directly said, how much he likes it here and wants his career to keep going with the Isles. Just yesterday the Newdays article quoting him saying...

" I’m just a hockey player. I try to be as best prepared as I can be. It’s a big decision obviously because it’s eight years of my career, really entering into my prime years and a great opportunity for myself to achieve what I set out to achieve when I was a kid, making it to the NHL, wanting to win a Stanley Cup and wanting to do that with the Islanders.â€

If Tavares is really considering leaving the Islanders then why does he keep saying things like this? It would be such a slap in the face for him to keep alluding to stay over and over and over...And then leave. Especially when he also says things like:

"In terms of signing a new contract, there’s a lot that goes into it. To really dive into all the details, get into all the conversations I’ve had with Garth [Snow], the team and Doug [Weight], I don’t think it’s productive to the situation and the negotiating. I prefer to keep it all internal, that’s the best way to keep it all open, honest and healthy.â€

If JT is thinking about leaving he just shouldn't say anything to the press at all. It's not like he such a talkative guy. Either say nothing or just give more generic quotes. This "I really like it here" thing is really twisting with our hearts (especially if he's considering leaving).

What would he say publicly if he wanted to leave? I can't think of a circumstance where it's in his interests to make that public going into his final season under contract. He may (via Pat Brisson) make a request to Garth for a trade, depending on his NMC details, but it still wouldn't make sense. And why go through any kind of trade going into UFA when he'll be able to choose exactly where he plays (cap notwithstanding)

His public statements are essentially aimed to minimize any disruption/distraction, be it summer or going into the season - however long it takes.

"I want to re-sign, not in any hurry, this is a process" --- any nuance, one way or another, would be a larger distraction.

He hasn't said (recently) - "I want to be an Islander 100%, have no interest in playing anywhere else, the details will be worked out in time and I hope to be an Islander for the rest of my career" I'd say the message has gotten more distant and more vague with each passing month. That's reason for concern.

I believe he'll sign. I think much of the speculation and extremes on this board (and elsewhere) are irrational, but that's what fans do.

I don't blame Tavares for anything at this point. He's given the Islanders 8 years, if he feels he doesn't have a chance to win with this organization and chooses to move on, it's his choice. Sucks for fans if/when that happens, but if you're the player, it's your ONCE CHANCE (unless you're Lebron James and signs 1year deals and goes to the finals every season - not sure why NHLers don't do that, injury risks aside)

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I didn't call the team mediocre, someone else did who quoted me. :help:

I commented on a team having to be elite in at least one (preferably more) area in order to compensate for any weaknesses for them to be Cup contenders, and thus, by your own words, the Isles don't meet that criteria.

My bad.

Also, all teams have a weakness relative to the other areas of their game when contending for a Cup, but I doubt a cup winning team relaly ha s aeeakness close to as severe as it is made out to be. Yeah a team with average D and goaltending can win the cup with a #1 offense, and a team with middle of the road forwards can win it with an elite backend, but these teams with dominant offenses will nto win the cup if they ACTUALLY have a bad defense. Like Pittsburgh they got railed on ebcause of their D and made it through, but in reality, Schultz, Cole, haisney, Maata, Dumoulin, Daley is a deep defense that has a good mix of 2 waydefenseman, leaders, passers, etc. Yeah it is lackign the true #1 and maybe even a high end #2, but any oen of thsoe guys outside of Hainsey could be serviceable ina top 4. My point is their glaring wekness is overblown because of the dominant offense. It's impossible for a team in the cap era to be dominant in all 3 facets of the game which is I think yor point.But I am sure a team can also win a cup if they have a top 5 offense, top 10 goaltending that gets hot, and a middle of the road D corps. Not sayign Isles are contenders, as I don't think they are.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He is following the playbook.

He'll have a career year (as many players do across all sports) as this is a contract year.

He just got engaged, so the bigger question would be how does SHE like living on Long Island -- anyone know her? LOL That would be the only reason Id see for JT to stay here.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

He'll have a career year (as many players do across all sports) as this is a contract year.

He just got engaged, so the bigger question would be how does SHE like living on Long Island -- anyone know her? LOL That would be the only reason Id see for JT to stay here.

I think one can assume she loves Brooklyn.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Im sure she wont mind living anywhere if hubby is making 11 million a year

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
What would he say publicly if he wanted to leave? I can't think of a circumstance where it's in his interests to make that public going into his final season under contract. He may (via Pat Brisson) make a request to Garth for a trade, depending on his NMC details, but it still wouldn't make sense. And why go through any kind of trade going into UFA when he'll be able to choose exactly where he plays (cap notwithstanding)

His public statements are essentially aimed to minimize any disruption/distraction, be it summer or going into the season - however long it takes.

"I want to re-sign, not in any hurry, this is a process" --- any nuance, one way or another, would be a larger distraction.

He hasn't said (recently) - "I want to be an Islander 100%, have no interest in playing anywhere else, the details will be worked out in time and I hope to be an Islander for the rest of my career" I'd say the message has gotten more distant and more vague with each passing month. That's reason for concern.

I believe he'll sign. I think much of the speculation and extremes on this board (and elsewhere) are irrational, but that's what fans do.

I don't blame Tavares for anything at this point. He's given the Islanders 8 years, if he feels he doesn't have a chance to win with this organization and chooses to move on, it's his choice. Sucks for fans if/when that happens, but if you're the player, it's your ONCE CHANCE (unless you're Lebron James and signs 1year deals and goes to the finals every season - not sure why NHLers don't do that, injury risks aside)

I don't see Tavares as the type of guy who would abandon ship from a competitive team with signs of a very bright future to ponder a trade or acquisition to another team that appears more "Cup" ready. Where the heck is the sportsmanship in that and why would he want that? There's no glory in that kind of victory. I see him as the type of character who will do everything in his being which was to accept the challenge like those elites before him, the Crosbys, Marios, Ysermans, Sakic's, Lecavlier etc... who stuck with the team that drafted them high and lived up to their expectations.

Sure there are players who requested trades when they see very little hope. Look as recently as Rick Nash in 2012 when he asked for a trade. The Columbus Blue Jackets were not showing any signs of improvements but that team had a miserable record at 18-37-7. Still, if you believe (which I don't think I do) he said he wanted to be traded so that his team can get enough assets to be competitive. I don't know if I buy that, but- ok. Other than that you've got Yashin who basically was all about the money- and then who else? Ray Bourque? I wouldn't speak harsh about him at all- he gave it his all and in his twilight year requested a trade as his last opportunity to win a Cup right before he retired. I don't see anything wrong with that. It was so to speak a bitter sweet victory for him and he celebrated his victory with his fans in Boston afterwards. I wouldn't criticize JT if 9 years from now he sees ONE last chance to win a Cup and requests a trade at that point, but before then, he has 9 years to help make it happen. I just don't see him looking for a trade this early in his career when he has alot to look forward to.

The team he has assembled before him is as talent ready and capable as any out there right now to win the whole thing. I firmly believe that. It all depends if it all falls together including HIS leadership.

Last edited:

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017

She may be the biggest reason he has to leave. SHe is a profesional therapist of some sort with a real career. This is not the 80's and 90's when the woman followed the men, and stayed home with the kids. They dont have kids. They arent even married yet. Once they get married I still doubt she can work here in the NYC area. The paperwork involved with that and time it would take would be seriously long. Plus they want to be in Canada in the summer. The Isles had their chance. THey should not be upset when Tavares leaves. They should have a good old boys entourage party and celebrate what they created beause it wasnt by accident. they have been doing this loser ambition friends and family stuff for 20 years.

mk21

Sep 20, 2015
The fiancé is out of Grad school and has an established career here in The Toronto area. I would assume she would like to stay around here. But with a husband making over 10m US a year, I think his career holds more weight. Also John is a real suburban kind of guy. I'm sure the stories of him not liking Brooklyn too much have some basis. Because even here in the summers he lives in the burbs and is rarely seen in the downtown Toronto area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->