Tribute John Tavares Discussion Thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lets hope this time off helps the ol'captain regain his dominance.. he's been lack luster since his child's birth. Maybe he needed family time.
It didn't help that he broke a finger in October and missed 7 games. Even after he returned he had some great games scoring wise, he was still not the same player we saw in 2019 who had 47 goals, 88 points in 82 games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was a big mistake signing John Tavares. The pain will only increase in time. I wish this Tribute was because Dubas traded him.
It's replies like this that gives Leafs fans a bad look and why it was thought star UFA's never wanted to sign with them. Yes we all agree that Tavares should have had a better season this year. However do you suddenly forget how great a first year Tavares had and no one questioned Dubas for signing him.

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Keefe should tell him he’s done as the net front presence on the power play. He needs to be on the half wall as a passing and shooting threat. When you’re making 11 mill a year you need to be more than a guy the stands in front of the net on the PP trying to pick up a rebound or tip.

Reactions: Moonman

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Though one could argue naming Tavares the captain was a mistake, it's just straight up ignorant to suggest signing him was a mistake.
Signing him was not a mistake. You are right. Anytime you can bring in that much of an asset without giving up any other than cap space you do it. However, I think at this point keeping Tavares is a mistake. He still has value now. 3 years from now I could see him being an anchor. He has gotten noticeably slower already and will only continue to do so. I think we need to flip Tavares for a cheaper, less proven Center with upside and defensive help. If only we still had kadri.... sigh

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Though one could argue naming Tavares the captain was a mistake, it's just straight up ignorant to suggest signing him was a mistake.

The only other option was Rielly. I wanted him to get the C because of tenure. Matthews was a non-starter after he left the team ignorant of his foolishness during the summer. But, the idea of slamming John Tavares leaves me speechless, this fan base at times...

Reactions: qqaz and The Podium

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Keefe should tell him he’s done as the net front presence on the power play. He needs to be on the half wall as a passing and shooting threat. When you’re making 11 mill a year you need to be more than a guy the stands in front of the net on the PP trying to pick up a rebound or
Keefe should tell him he’s done as the net front presence on the power play. He needs to be on the half wall as a passing and shooting threat. When you’re making 11 mill a year you need to be more than a guy the stands in front of the net on the PP trying to pick up a rebound or tip.

done In front of the net? One of the best players on the team at tipping pucks. Go back and watch his 47 goals from last year. Let me know how many are from the bottom of the circle and in. He only scored the 3rd most goals In the league

Hard to believe “fans” write the guy off so easily. People were dying to have this guy 2 years ago .

another 26 goals this year and 60 pts in 63 games , after coming off a broken finger. Get this guy away from the net lol

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge

Tavares is a depreciating asset and was when we signed him. He was slow then he's even slower now. The signing destroyed out cap structure and put us in cap hell. To top it off the team isn't any better with him in the lineup. So tell me how it was a good signing?

Reactions: hotpaws

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Signing him was not a mistake. You are right. Anytime you can bring in that much of an asset without giving up any other than cap space you do it. However, I think at this point keeping Tavares is a mistake. He still has value now. 3 years from now I could see him being an anchor. He has gotten noticeably slower already and will only continue to do so. I think we need to flip Tavares for a cheaper, less proven Center with upside and defensive help. If only we still had kadri.... sigh
Yeah, replace one apparently aging, slowing down C with another who can't keep his cool.

Reactions: qqaz

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Good Post , a rare thing most days here . I said it at the time and still feel it now it was a dumb move to sign him , not because of his age or skill set because I still think he is one of the top centers in the game . It was a dumb move becauase we were early on in a rebuild program that had jumped ahead of expectations but still needed time for to progress , JT was a glory shot by a rookie GM that believed JT would get him a cup 1 year into his tenure . He of course failed to realize what an annomaly the 105 pt season was and instead of staying the course and building a dynasty he went for the ego shot and missed , now we have an 11m aav that is indeed aging in a young mans game who should as you suggest be sold at value while he still has that value , people talk about trading Marner to recoup his 11m but anybody who thinks JT has a greater impact on this team than Mitch now and going forward into the future is fooling themselves .

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
John Tavares, proof that 29 is the new 55 o_O
145 regular season games, 148 points.
Experienced, professional, a role model for consistency, dedicated, well spoken...a true burden for the team :rolleyes: .
Matthews, Kadri, or Matthews, Tavares?
10th overall in goals the last 2 seasons. Tied for 9th overall in G/G. Trails only: Matthews, Draisaitl (who splits time at wing), McDavid, and is tied with MacKinnon (at 0.503) G/G at C, while playing from 30 seconds less/game than Matthews and up to 3 min/game less than McDavid and Draisaitl. The only two Cs outscoring Tavares at G/60 the last two years: Matthews and Bergeron.
Marner, best season yet...with Tavares.
Nylander, best season yet...with Tavares.
With whom do I want Robertson breaking in with...Tavares.

By all means, set a high bar, but let's be serious here, John Tavares is not yet done being a fabulous player.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
John Tavares, proof that 29 is the new 55 o_O
145 regular season games, 148 points.
Experienced, professional, a role model for consistency, dedicated, well spoken...a true burden for the team :rolleyes: .
Matthews, Kadri, or Matthews, Tavares?
10th overall in goals the last 2 seasons. Tied for 9th overall in G/G. Trails only: Matthews, Draisaitl (who splits time at wing), McDavid, and is tied with MacKinnon (at 0.503) G/G at C, while playing from 30 seconds less/game than Matthews and up to 3 min/game less than McDavid and Draisaitl. The only two Cs outscoring Tavares at G/60 the last two years: Matthews and Bergeron.
Marner, best season yet...with Tavares.
Nylander, best season yet...with Tavares.
With whom do I want Robertson breaking in with...Tavares.

By all means, set a high bar, but let's be serious here, John Tavares is not yet done being a fabulous player.

Nice spin there I see what you did lol . Some might say Tavares best year ever with Marner as also applies to Bozo , JVR and a few other former Leafs who played with Mitch but hey its all spin so nice english on that ball eh !

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Nice spin there I see what you did lol . Some might say Tavares best year ever with Marner as also applies to Bozo , JVR and a few other former Leafs who played with Mitch but hey its all spin so nice english on that ball eh !

Conveniently ignoring Nylander, and those wingers on the Isle who did pretty darned well with him too. I wasn't criticizing Mitch, only acknowledging the truth. Keep spinning those wheels.

Reactions: qqaz and cannucky

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Conveniently ignoring Nylander, and those wingers on the Isle who did pretty darned well with him too. I wasn't criticizing Mitch, only acknowledging the truth. Keep spinning those wheels.
I didn't have Nylanders stats in front of me so I wasn't in a position to comment on his year , both him and Mitch have moved around the lineup quite a bit , wasn't meant a a jab at Nylander theres plenty of other time for that , looking at the 4 percieved top guys which ones have led the team in points the past 3 years ? My apologies to the slighted Islanders wingers I really didn't start following them much until 18-19 and even then it was just Uncle Leo , Matt Martin and the best 4th line in hockey starting every opening faceoff and the goalending that held my interest .

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Good Post , a rare thing most days here . I said it at the time and still feel it now it was a dumb move to sign him , not because of his age or skill set because I still think he is one of the top centers in the game . It was a dumb move becauase we were early on in a rebuild program that had jumped ahead of expectations but still needed time for to progress , JT was a glory shot by a rookie GM that believed JT would get him a cup 1 year into his tenure . He of course failed to realize what an annomaly the 105 pt season was and instead of staying the course and building a dynasty he went for the ego shot and missed , now we have an 11m aav that is indeed aging in a young mans game who should as you suggest be sold at value while he still has that value , people talk about trading Marner to recoup his 11m but anybody who thinks JT has a greater impact on this team than Mitch now and going forward into the future is fooling themselves .
speaking of fooling themselves....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad