Tribute John Tavares Discussion Thread

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's entirely possible that some of these folks don't really pay attention to the rest of the league and as such never realized that JT was always a relatively slow skater.
But they do like to come in and show off their lack of knowledge often...in a hilariously authoritarian, condescending way. Especially when they belong to other fanbases, but have 'subaccounts' (just look at the avi)

Makes for good laughter....

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Its pretty crazy how little respect JT is getting from some folks cosnidering just ine year ago he had one of the best seasons for a centre in Leafs history....

Yep... 47 goals , over PPG .. IMO earned his keep last year.

This year is a bit off (but still trending around his career norms) and he had a broken finger early in the season which he's had to recover from.

He's obviously not going to get any faster but his style of play doesn't rely on his skating. He's a below the hashmarks type player that relies on his elite IQ to know where to be on the ice. That will age well.

Mid-way through his contract I doubt he'll be worth his cap hit but he'll still provide good enough value.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think Tavares is the type of player that ages well. Usually players who fall off lose their speed, but Tavares hasn’t been able to skate at league average at any point in his career. His game is so versatile that he can play any role successfully. His IQ is also is in the upper echelon of player. Its no surprise that every player Tavares has ever played with has had a career year.

Im going to give him a pass on this season, broken finger, new baby, new responsibilities as C.

Next season he should be back to his normal self, ideally with Marner on his wing.

This fan base is also an embarrassment

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Tavares is the type of player that ages well. Usually players who fall off lose their speed, but Tavares hasn’t been able to skate at league average at any point in his career. His game is so versatile that he can play any role successfully. His IQ is also is in the upper echelon of player. Its no surprise that every player Tavares has ever played with has had a career year.

Im going to give him a pass on this season, broken finger, new baby, new responsibilities as C.

Next season he should be back to his normal self, ideally with Marner on his wing.

This fan base is also an embarrassment
I said this before and I will say it again. Do we want to go back to a time when big name UFA's avoided Toronto because of the media pressure and how some of our fans react when things don't go well. I sure as hell don't want to re-live those days anymore.

Reactions: qqaz, kb and Kurtz

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How many other UFA's scored 47 goals in their 1st season with a new team?
you said he had the best season , Panarin had a better season than JT had

it's obvious you just pulled this out of your ass and thinks it means something

he contract runs 7 years not 1 and he was signed to help propel the team upward not to simply put some nice stats his first year while the team treads water

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
you said he had the best season , Panarin had a better season than JT had

it's obvious you just pulled this out of your ass and thinks it means something

he contract runs 7 years not 1 and he was signed to help propel the team upward not to simply put some nice stats his first year while the team treads water
Panarin might have had more points this season, however what Tavares did was in a full 82 games and he still managed more goals scored.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tavares is a depreciating asset and was when we signed him. He was slow then he's even slower now. The signing destroyed out cap structure and put us in cap hell. To top it off the team isn't any better with him in the lineup. So tell me how it was a good signing?

KpGc3BH.jpg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Panarin might have had more points this season, however what Tavares did was in a full 82 games and he still managed more goals scored.
wtf are you even trying to argue ?

Panarin had 7 more points in 13 less games due to the regular season being cancelled and your trying to spin it like it's less of an accomplishment compared to producing less but in 82 games ?

it's freaking obvious you just made it up and i didn't even need to go back and check how other ufa's did in their 1st year since Panarin quickly popped into my head

Last edited:
Reactions: TopCheese

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Panarin had 7 more points in 13 less games due to the regular season being cancelled and your trying to spin it like it's less of an accomplishment compared to producing less but in 82 games ?

it's freaking obvious you just made it up and i didn't even need to go back and check how other ufa's did in their 1st year since Panarin quickly popped into my head
Obviously I didn't make that up.

Is John Tavares having the best season by a UFA signing of all-time? - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: qqaz

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
did you even read the article ? it was about the rarity of high end players players leaving there team not about pimping JT as having the best season ever by a ufa going to a new team

hell they even mentioned Chara/Hossa and Niedermayer and the impacts they had on there new team and the articles over a year old so Panarin wasn't even signed in NY yet

how about you just let it go instead of keep trying to justify your previous post

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is the only place where a UFA signing who gets you 148 in 145 is considered a “mistake”.

I would look at the rest of our team, specifically on D and in net, before you start blaming the ones who have been productive.
Don’t you just love Leafs Nation. We are in the Mecca of Hockey and are the most passionate fans.
For years, we literally were begging for a Superstar to sign with the Leafs. And we always ended up with mid tier players who we had to defend as the final piece to put us over the top or that player had another gear....
JT is Not having as good a season as he had but he was still pretty good.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He also had the best season in history of UFA's in their 1st year with a new team.

With respect to the discussion you and @hotpaws are having about this, would it be fair to say that JT had the best point totals (I haven't checked) of a UFA up to the end of 18/19 season, which is the way I read the post. Panarin's accomplishments occurring this year. Regardless, both are exceptional players, both having success as UFAs, both highly paid, both signed at 28 (I believe), both for 7 years, Panarin's ticket about 600k more (due to yearly inflation?), both important to their team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
With respect to the discussion you and @hotpaws are having about this, would it be fair to say that JT had the best point totals (I haven't checked) of a UFA up to the end of 18/19 season, which is the way I read the post. Panarin's accomplishments occurring this year. Regardless, both are exceptional players, both having success as UFAs, both highly paid, both signed at 28 (I believe), both for 7 years, Panarin's ticket about 600k more (due to yearly inflation?), both important to their team.
I do remember reading online and seeing Hockey personalities on TSN or Sportsnet who said that the 47 goals Tavares had last season was the most by a UFA signing in his first season with his new team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Splitting hairs between two amazing players doesnt take away JTs accomplishments.

Trying to tear down a top 10 centre who just had a 47 goal season for this team is pretty nonsensical

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Splitting hairs between two amazing players doesnt take away JTs accomplishments.

Trying to tear down a top 10 centre who just had a 47 goal season for this team is pretty nonsensical

Matthews, Eichel, Barzal, Malkin, Crosby, Draisital, Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Petterson, Scheifele, Barkov, O'Reilly, Aho, Bergeron....14 centers off the top of my head would all be taken ahead of Tavares in a draft for next season. Factor in his sub par skating and his contract worries me moving forward as he ages. Tavares had a career high of 38 goals before coming to Toronto. Mix in Marner in his contract year, Tavares coming home to play and that 47 is inflated. This year he was on pace for 34. The Tavares contract can easily be argued to be a mistake for who he is as a player, the standard it set for payscale on that team(aka maximize every dollar) and spend 11 million on a 2c when your 4.5 million dollar 2c was more than capable....and the Dcore is still a failure.

Reactions: hotpaws

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews, Eichel, Barzal, Malkin, Crosby, Draisital, Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Petterson, Scheifele, Barkov, O'Reilly, Aho, Bergeron....14 centers off the top of my head would all be taken ahead of Tavares in a draft for next season. Factor in his sub par skating and his contract worries me moving forward as he ages. Tavares had a career high of 38 goals before coming to Toronto. Mix in Marner in his contract year, Tavares coming home to play and that 47 is inflated. This year he was on pace for 34. The Tavares contract can easily be argued to be a mistake for who he is as a player, the standard it set for payscale on that team(aka maximize every dollar) and spend 11 million on a 2c when your 4.5 million dollar 2c was more than capable....and the Dcore is still a failure.

Last 2yrs Pace

Tavares (29): 19:17, 41gls, 84pts, +7, 53.1xgf% (+2.3rel)
Barkov (24): 21:19, 30gls, 88pts, -1, 47.9xgf% (-1.0rel)
Scheifele (26): 21:50, 36gls, 85pts, +5, 45.2xgf% (-0.8rel)
Aho (22): 19:49, 37gls, 82pts, +19, 55.0xgf% (+1.2rel)
Pettersson (21): 18:23, 32gls, 78pts, +11, 50.8xgf% (+5.2rel)
O'Reilly (29): 20:40, 20gls, 74pts, +18, 54.2xgf% (+2.6rel)
Barzal (22): 18:53, 20gls, 67pts, +0, 52.2xgf% (+3.2rel)

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->