Tribute John Tavares Discussion Thread

DALLER66

Nov 17, 2019
Leafs went just as far with Tavares as when we had Bozak says alot about this team and his impact. And Tavares is not a captain this team always acts the same, good for one game, shit the next and maybe thats the youth of the team but a real Captain should be able to motive guys or least call these guys out. Leafs need a leader like Kyle Lowry. Lowry isnt the most skill guy or the most talented guy on the Raptors but god dam hes the leader of that team and heart of the Raptors.

Im in the camp of fans that open to trade anyone for the right deal expect Matthews. And if Tavares gets traded (unlikely) leafs can keep Marner and find him a more of second line center to play with (through FA most likely) And hopefully a first D pairing partner for Rielly through a trade of course
I’m with you on this one .. I hear more verbally from marner and muzzin postgame than Tavares after horrible games.. he also is a team worse -9 or something . I’d move him to wing Sooner than later personally , he can’t keep up with opposing centres around the league due to his skating .

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I’m with you on this one .. I hear more verbally from marner and muzzin postgame than Tavares after horrible games.. he also is a team worse -9 or something . I’d move him to wing Sooner than later personally , he can’t keep up with opposing centres around the league due to his skating .

Tavares and Kerfoot cost 14.5 million.
Kadri and Bozak would have cost 8.5-9.5 million.

5 million in savings. The intangibles that Kadri brought, his heart, his love of the jersey, the pride when his team-mates are getting bullied. Kadri Im sure would have gone to therapy to stay in Toronto, I would never have traded Kadri. A guy who also has lost to Boston 3 times in the first round and wears the scars and the displeasure of losing more than other Leafs. I loved his emotions, even if it got the better of him twice. Dubas traded the soul of this team when he moved Kadri. Tavares is a lateral move not a step forward when u factor in everything. As soon as Tavares signed, u mis use Kadri because Kadri already proved to be a great #2 center who can agitate and shut down top centers in the league. Tavares skating looks painful, its below average in the NHL and will not get better. Its always been his biggest flaw. Tavares survives with IQ and hands.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tavares and Kerfoot cost 14.5 million.
Kadri and Bozak would have cost 8.5-9.5 million.

5 million in savings. The intangibles that Kadri brought, his heart, his love of the jersey, the pride when his team-mates are getting bullied. Kadri Im sure would have gone to therapy to stay in Toronto, I would never have traded Kadri. A guy who also has lost to Boston 3 times in the first round and wears the scars and the displeasure of losing more than other Leafs. I loved his emotions, even if it got the better of him twice. Dubas traded the soul of this team when he moved Kadri.

The intangibles Kadri would have brought... like suspensions at critical times. He needed to go, that was apparent, anybody ignoring that, isn't facing reality.

Bozak and Kadri, current combined cap hits... $9.5 million.

Bozak and Kerfoot are a wash... both 3rd line C's... Bozak makes $5 mil, Kerfoot $3.5

Kadri has 38 points, Tavares 58 points... Tavares is a much better player..

It's amazing how often this fanbase waxes poetically about a past... even one that wasn't going to work out for us.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The intangibles Kadri would have brought... like suspensions at critical times. He needed to go, that was apparent, anybody ignoring that, isn't facing reality.

Bozak and Kadri, current combined cap hits... $9.5 million.

Bozak and Kerfoot are a wash... both 3rd line C's... Bozak makes $5 mil, Kerfoot $3.5

Kadri has 38 points, Tavares 58 points... Tavares is a much better player..

It's amazing how often this fanbase waxes poetically about a past... even one that wasn't going to work out for us.

It's mind boggling. And conveniently forgets how meh kadri was for us the last year. Kadri is also 29

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Even in a down year Tavares is still almost ppg. With Robertson excelling and having a similar motor to Hyman, I'd love to see this as a top 6 next year:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Marner

Both lines would have 2 players with great goalscoring ability which opens up more room for Matthews and Tavares. On the Matthews line right now, teams can target Matthews because neither Marner or Hyman scare other teams shooting.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Tavares is an awesome player, and brings more to the table when he's off his game than most players when they're on.

He's a leader, a minute eater, he scores goals, and he makes players around him better.

He's going to be a huge part of this team going forward. Anyone complaining about Tavares is being silly and just wants to whine.

DALLER66

Nov 17, 2019
Tavares is an awesome player, and brings more to the table when he's off his game than most players when they're on.

He's a leader, a minute eater, he scores goals, and he makes players around him better.

He's going to be a huge part of this team going forward. Anyone complaining about Tavares is being silly and just wants to whine.
This is a leaf PR burner account for sure

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
After every loss, it seems one player from Marner, Nylander, and Tavares gets picked on. It's pretty hilarious.

His importance cannot be stated enough especially in the playoffs when line-matching hockey kicks into high gear.
Hockey is that rare Team sport where every loss comes down to **one player.

** Unless the Coach is hated, then it's all on him.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I would agree that moving JT to the wing seems smart but i dont know if Willy is ready for 2c. JT looks really bad this year, i dont know if its the wrist injury or what but he looks really ineffective.

Not winning as many battles, which could very well be attributed to the wrist injury.

Turning it over quite frequently, but to be fair he doesnt have Hyman and Marner to go get the puck back for him when he turns it over.

His skating is the main issue, looks out of shape...Maybe he didnt train well enough with the new baby.

Im hoping he bounces back but it doesnt look good IMO, if this is the start of a decline we could be in trouble.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Just a terrible situation all around. cap strapped, no defense, no heart, no guts, no consistency, a rift in the room, too much cap in 4 guys, always 2 underperforming, soft coach, soft gm. brutal. unlikeable team outside of a few guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad