Tribute John Tavares Discussion Thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ERQ5gaIWAAYgG6x

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Had a dominant in the dots tonight and just battled hard every shift. I didn't see any passengers tonight really, against a tough Pens squad.

If they played like this as a team every night, team wouldn't be happy when they come to town.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Had a dominant in the dots tonight and just battled hard every shift. I didn't see any passengers tonight really, against a tough Pens squad.

If they played like this as a team every night, team wouldn't be happy when they come to town.
I guess Keefe knows what he's doing putting Tavares out to take the faceoffs, at least on the power play. I remember some Leafs fans were complaining at Tavares starting overtime and not winning the draw and it's why I mentioned that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People forget that he broke his finger this year. That probably had some effect of his goal scoring early on.
Without a doubt that had an impact on his stats. However even if that didn't happen was anyone expecting him to score more than 47 goals and 88 points that he had last season?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
People forget that he broke his finger this year. That probably had some effect of his goal scoring early on.

Broken finger’s one thing. Being a new dad is all kinds of new strain(s) on life.

Enjoyable but the kind that typically arrives after exhaustion of one kind or another.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Broken finger’s one thing. Being a new dad is all kinds of new strain(s) on life.

Enjoyable but the kind that typically arrives after exhaustion of one kind or another.
Didn't know he had a kid. Good for him. Explains a lot lol

Reactions: ITM

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe they also expected Tavares to score more than 47 goals and 88 points which he last season.

While John Tavares hasn't historically hit those numbers in the NHL before last season, why should a fanbase not have high expectations for a $11 million acquisition? Why should we have lowered expectations?

The second part is, if the Leaf fanbase can be unimpressed with UFA signings like Beauchemin, Komisarek, Blake and a number of other guys who came through here and underperformed, why would Tavares be different in a down year?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While John Tavares hasn't historically hit those numbers in the NHL before last season, why should a fanbase not have high expectations for a $11 million acquisition? Why should we have lowered expectations?

The second part is, if the Leaf fanbase can be unimpressed with UFA signings like Beauchemin, Komisarek, Blake and a number of other guys who came through here and underperformed, why would Tavares be different in a down year?
I agree we expect Tavares to play great every game, even with him making $11 million AAV. However did you honestly expect him to score more than 47 goals and 88 points? Even if he gets 40 goals and 80 points as an example, do you consider that to be a disappointing season based on what he did last season?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree we expect Tavares to play great every game, even with him making $11 million AAV. However did you honestly expect him to score more than 47 goals and 88 points? Even if he gets 40 goals and 80 points as an example, do you consider that to be a disappointing season based on what he did last season?

I've said it many times, but my problem with John Tavares at times is less to do with his stats, (which are always pretty good), but more than he's not strong shift to shift, either not skating well in OT, not distributing the puck on a PP, sort of floating around when the momentum swings the other way, or generally being out of the play which we've seen a lot of during the Leafs struggles.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I've said it many times, but my problem with John Tavares at times is less to do with his stats, (which are always pretty good), but more than he's not strong shift to shift, either not skating well in OT, not distributing the puck on a PP, sort of floating around when the momentum swings the other way, or generally being out of the play which we've seen a lot of during the Leafs struggles.
This lead to Tavares improving his stats, but on Thursday against the Penguins he did have two important faceoff wins that lead to their 1st and 2nd goals.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares has his 24th goal tonight, although it was against David Aryes who became the emergency goalie for the Hurricanes and it was the first shot he faced.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
When you sign a guy for 11 mil in a cap league you expect to get a superstar.
He is a grinder with good hands around the net .
Not a difference maker for the leafs and not for the team he left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad