John Scott suspension [7 games; won't appeal]

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I feel the same way. I feel that the Bruins get preferential treatment because of the sway Jeremy Jacobs has with the league.

You can't say there is no bias by "the league". These are people making the decisions. Look no further than NHL executive Colin Campbell meddling in the affairs of the officials when he didn't like penalties that were assessed against his son, Gregory.

Campbell was removed from his position partly because of that conflict of interest.

The Bruins getting preferential treatment...I disagree. Marchand has been suspended multiple times, Lucic has been suspended multiple times...the Lucic hit on Miller puzzled me a little, but...it doesn't make me think they're treated with preference.

And before the Chara on Pacioretty hit is brought up, I will throw out my opinion that I thought that was the entirely correct call, at the time. NOW, where one of the determining factors for suspensions is directly related to the player's injury, I believe it'd be different. But there is absolutely no way to say Chara had any intent to do what resulted there. The interference was the penalty, the hitting the head on the dasher was a terrible coincidence, which happened I'd say 50 times a year (albeit, not as violently) before more awareness and structural changes.

Anywho, in seriousness, thanks for the conversation everyone. I'm out of here now because I am just a visitor and because I'm hijacking your thread. Sorry for that.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If I had to guess I would also say 5. As others have said, Scott was warned after the Toronto incident (which of course I took great enjoyment in for obvious reasons being a Bruins/former-Kessel fan), but doesn't technically have a history.

The only difference I may be able to see with this hit as opposed to the Lapierre (whom I despise) and McLeod hits is that there weren't any sudden movements which changed anything here. Scott saw what was there, and should have been able to know Eriksson was in a vulnerable position and prone to injury from a hit. As I said in another post, I believe it can absolutely be considered blindside. Scott isn't a dirty player and not mean-spirited by any means, but he made a dumb decision he had time to make and it was at the sake of Eriksson's health.

your level-headedness is a great change of pace. I dont agree with all of your points but i respect what you say...youre a great impartial fan and the type of person Id love to converse with.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
**** Stop acting like the Sabres are victims. Scott knocked a guy out of the game, a guy who didn't do anything that required retaliation, with a reckless hit to the head. So what if other teams get away with it, it's still dirty. The team was warned after Kessel, Kaleta is still suspended, Scott and Rolston should know better.

heartsabres*

**** Stop acting like the Sabres are victims. Scott knocked a guy out of the game, a guy who didn't do anything that required retaliation, with a reckless hit to the head. So what if other teams get away with it, it's still dirty. The team was warned after Kessel, Kaleta is still suspended, Scott and Rolston should know better.

LOL, people want Rolston gone so bad they are putting him in Scott´s brain.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
It's a hit where the principal point of contact is the head, and that is really the only thing wrong with it. Body checks are routinely thrown way later the Scott's, and it absolutely wasn't an elbow.

Suspend him for throwing a bad hit, but the fact that a guy with no prior suspensions or fines on his record is going to get the book thrown at him for an accident when other players around the league have thrown far more deliberately dirty and dangerous hits and gotten off with 10k fines or two game suspensions is complete and utter *********

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The two major contributing factors to this hit are probably that Scott sucks and has no speed, and he's tall as hell. He'll end up getting suspended more than he deserves I reckon, while a legit ******* like Lappy got 5 games for a just plain awful hit, Scott will probably get 3-5 for a really borderline play. I say borderline play because that's how it looked to me, certainly a penalty and worth a game, but not intentional or egregious. I'll reserve final judgment on that until I really look at the replay, though.

The ultimate point though is that I'm more than fine to see Scott suspended so that Rolston's hand is forced to play an actual hockey player on the 4th line. I can't ****ing stand to see Grigorenko play another game on the 4th line with Scott. Tonight was a game where it was finally appropriate to dress Scott, but in general it's been getting more and more irritating.

To OP: It's Eriksson with a 'k', but I imagine that's been said 100 times by now

You were making sense until you said "the team was warned after Kessel" like the two things have anything to do with each other. What does Rolston have to do with this? :dunno:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not sure if you're serious... you don't see a difference between Chara and Scott?

C'mon, he obviously means in terms of a fight. The refs had no business stepping in there when the Boston captain Chara came in looking to settle a score after a bad hit. What the hell is the league coming to if you can't let to 6'8 dudes fight after a bad hit?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
C'mon, he obviously means in terms of a fight. The refs had no business stepping in there when the Boston captain Chara came in looking to settle a score after a bad hit. What the hell is the league coming to if you can't let to 6'8 dudes fight after a bad hit?

Probably because Chara would get wrecked. Hes a hockey player not a fighter...hell I even remember Roy punching him in the face lol

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Ban the whole team and don't make us watch 71 more of these god awful games... :cry:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Look at this photo folks. Combine that with the video, and if you think that's not an intentional elbow the the face, please say so so I can disregard you opinions in the future.

BXUI5lXCMAA6Pkf.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/hsjrphoto/status/393230327826493440/photo/1

Direct, intentional headshot. Thought so at the game, video and photos back it up.

Give him 20 if you're serious about getting this stuff out of the game.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Look at this photo folks. Combine that with the video, and if you think that's not an intentional elbow the the face, please say so so I can disregard you opinions in the future.

Direct, intentional headshot. Thought so at the game, video and photos back it up.

That photo is obviously well after contact, so how does it illustrate intention?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Dude, photo is taken after the initial contact, it was a shoulder hit and the arm went up after the impact.
How can someone not see that? o_O

It's not an excuse though, it was a blindside hit, and I want him suspended, same way I wanted Neil suspended in 2007 for his hit on Drury.
It was legal but cheap then, fortunately it's both cheap AND illegal now.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011

Yeah it's pretty obvious that this single frame shot is AFTER impact.

I don't disagree with the masses that he should be suspended, but this is not a good shot to use to prove that point. You'd want the single frame right before, or at impact to show what you are saying.

Again don't disagree with him being suspended, but this shot doesn't prove intent. (which in reality can you prove intent...)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Dude, photo is taken after the initial contact, it was a shoulder hit and the arm went up after the impact.
How can someone not see that? o_O

It's not an excuse though, it was a blindside hit, and I want him suspended, same way I wanted Neil suspended in 2007 for his hit on Drury.
It was legal but cheap then, fortunately it's both cheap AND illegal now.

And that's why he will be suspended

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009
It would be interesting to hear Scott's side of the story.

I look him kinda guy who would tell his honest opinion regarding the hit.

He obviously tried to wake the team up and to get some kind of momentum to our side. He did hit McQuaid on same shift before the incident. 2 goals behind and almost 6 minutes left.

This Milbury guy has still put things way out of the proportion.

The hit was "dirty". I still would have him in roster although with really limited ice-time. He brings protection to our guys.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Scott will be kicked out of the NHL. Its not the crime its who he is. He is proving to be a liability for the NHL on the ice. Maybe UFC is his next career

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Eriksson wasn't paying attention and was skating with his head down watching the puck all the way down the ice, hes partially to blame for not protecting himself. Connolly has been caught doing the same thing and it got him injured too.

So yeah..I don't believe this is a blindside hit in the true sense, hell Scott was in front of him when he started lining him up

heartsabres*

Where to begin??? Watch the video and stop staring at pictures there is a little something called "depth"

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I also thought Porters crosscheck in the back during the 2nd period was far dirtier than this. The only difference was Porter got lucky the guy missed the boards so he didn't get injured...***** blown way out of proportion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad