John Scott suspension [7 games; won't appeal]

heartsabres*

Everyone should be happy....don´t have to watch Scott play beside Grigorenko anymore.

Plastic Paddy Leaf

Oct 24, 2013
Seriously????

Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren belong though.

Fraser McLaren actually contributes on the 3rd and 4th line.

Mark Fraser is an excellent stay-at-home defenseman.

Colton Orr dropped some weight, got a figure skating champion to teach him how to skate properly, and is now a trusted 3rd liner with 5-10 minutes every game. He even gets sent out to protect 1 goal leads. Orr knows that the days of being a one dimensional goon is over.

Our guys contribute...Scott is a meat head who is not only useless but can't pick on anyone his own size. Going after Kessel and Erikkson? Probert and McSorely would have had a field day with him back in the day

Shannahan should ban him for Scott's own safety now that he has got Toronto and Boston POed at him...lol:laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Fraser McLaren actually contributes on the 3rd and 4th line.

Mark Fraser is an excellent stay-at-home defenseman.

Colton Orr dropped some weight, got a figure skating champion to teach him how to skate properly, and is now a trusted 3rd liner with 5-10 minutes every game. He even gets sent out to protect 1 goal leads. Orr knows that the days of being a one dimensional goon is over.

Our guys contribute...Scott is a meat head who is not only useless but can't pick on anyone his own size. Going after Kessel and Erikkson? Probert and McSorely would have had a field day with him back in the day

Shannahan should ban him for Scott's own safety now that he has got Toronto and Boston POed at him...lol:laugh:

His own safety? Can anybody actually beat up scott?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Probably closer to 10 games.

I think it's a bit ridiculous. The hit was slightly late, but not really. Hits are that "late" all the time. It was not a blind-side hit, which are much much worse.

The head was hit because of 2 factors:
(1) Height difference, including the fact that Loui was leaning down after the pass
(2) The angle of Loui's body after dumping the puck.

I have no problem with them calling a penalty on it, but I think the hit is being COMPLETELY blown out of proportion because of who it is (a goon).

I didn't see it live but having watched the YT of it a few times this morning, I agree with your take on this. No issue with the penalty, expecting a long suspension because of Scott's role and the usual stuff from Shanny/the league offices.

captngrif

Dec 12, 2007
Syracuse, NY
sabresfuturewith3140771 said:
Where to begin??? Watch the video and stop staring at pictures there is a little something called "depth"

Look at their feet with respect to the ice, this is IMMEDIATELY after impact. There is not enough time for his arm/elbow to come up unless it was already up when he hit.

Scott is a likeable personality but not worth making excuses for.

Who cares if he gets suspended.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
If skating at a player, raising your elbow, and directing it at said player's head isn't intent....

Had Scott kept his arm down and drive through him, I'd defend him all day. But he didn't. He got the arm up well in advance. He knew what he was doing.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Again, I will post a gif of the hit for reference:
http://cjzero.com/gifs/ScottElbowErikssonHeadBufBos.gif

Both perfectly good reasons to choose not to make the hit.
I don't completely agree, but I understand. You can't tell a player not to make a hit because they are bigger than another player, but I can get not making a hit from a certain angle I guess.

if you took the time to view the video I guarantee you will see Scott take ZERO strides from the point when Loui releases the puck....please provide video/photo evidence to demonstrate otherwise....
He certainly does not take a stride right before hitting Loui and the gif shows that. He's gliding before the hit, with his legs parallel.

I find it funny how similar this is to the Neil/Drury hit a few years back that got....zero games.
I don´t get it. Seems like a good hit to me. Just ask Neil.
Irrelevant because the rules have been changed since.

Look at this photo folks. Combine that with the video, and if you think that's not an intentional elbow the the face, please say so so I can disregard you opinions in the future.
Don't get mad if people disregard your opinion in the future for disregarding timing and depth from a single image.

The gif and video prove his elbow was tucked until point of impact, and that his SHOULDER made impact with the head. It was only after impact that the arm comes out.

BXUI5lXCMAA6Pkf.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/hsjrphoto/status/393230327826493440/photo/1

Direct, intentional headshot. Thought so at the game, video and photos back it up.
Headshot? Yes, and no one is disputing that. Intentional? No video or photo shows that. You're dead wrong on that.

Look at their feet with respect to the ice, this is IMMEDIATELY after impact. There is not enough time for his arm/elbow to come up unless it was already up when he hit.
Watch the gif. His elbow is tucked until impact.

Who cares if he gets suspended.
I don't care in terms of it's impact on him or the team. I care that the NHL is consistent though.

If skating at a player, raising your elbow, and directing it at said player's head isn't intent....

Had Scott kept his arm down and drive through him, I'd defend him all day. But he didn't. He got the arm up well in advance. He knew what he was doing.
No, he didn't. You're wrong on this and I'm not sure why you're insisting otherwise. There is not a single gif, frame or video that shows the elbow or arm up before impact.

Finally, I refer to a previous post that shows at time of impact and immediately after (the images are all consecutive frames from the gif, i did not skip anything). It shows the arm/elbow down immediately after impact. Arm/elbow start to come up right after that last frame.

Last edited:

monktbd

Powahlin
Oct 27, 2006
Habs territory
For me this is very similar to the Grabner vs. Gerbe hit.
Grabner got two games.
Size difference did make quite a difference for both hits.

Since Gerbe was not injured but Eriksson was I would expect it to be 4-6 games.

Anything more than that would not be fair compared to other guys who did not have a history before (Like e.g McLeod).

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I ain't going to lie, seeing these Boston fans up in arms over the hit makes me happy. They employ some of the dirtiest players in the NHL and have been involved with some of the most questionable hits in the history of the game, yet when it happens to them, the whole NHL should shut down and award them the cup for their suffering.

To me this is one of the worst cheap shots I have ever seen and I dont recall Chara even getting suspended for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Sabres fans defending John Scott = Ottawa fans defending Chris Neil on Drury

Neil didn't get suspended.

I think Scott goes through his body and the Boston player Eriksson experiences whiplash. Regardless both the Neil hit and the Scott hit should have or should be suspended. The late hit is not necessary. I am for tough hockey with big hits but late hits, hitting from behind, and head contact hits are not needed and should not be tolerated.

If it is deemed that he put his shoulder in his chest, it is a clean hit. (Tough to do when your 6ft 8)

The rules state that if your the last one to touch the puck whether you passed it or received it, you are eligible to be hit immediately following the loss of possession. What does the league define as immediately?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Good point on whether or not it's late, JPurp.

I wouldn't have any issue with the league using this as a starting point to get rid of late hits. It WAS late. The problem is that late hits like that (in terms of how late, not the type of hit) happen all the time without penalties being called.

If the NHL wants to make progress, then removing hits like this would be a good start, but they would have to enforce it consistently and not just when the late hit is a bad hit or looks bad.

Scott clearly knew Loui got rid of the puck. I don't blame him completely for it being late though, because like I said, it happens all the time.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Judging from various suspensions this season, the league seems to really want the type of hit in question to be initiated at the waist area and lower core instead of at the crest and up.

Problem is, that opens the door for tons of knee-on-knee collisions.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Good point on whether or not it's late, JPurp.

I wouldn't have any issue with the league using this as a starting point to get rid of late hits. It WAS late. The problem is that late hits like that (in terms of how late, not the type of hit) happen all the time without penalties being called.

If the NHL wants to make progress, then removing hits like this would be a good start, but they would have to enforce it consistently and not just when the late hit is a bad hit or looks bad.

Scott clearly knew Loui got rid of the puck. I don't blame him completely for it being late though, because like I said, it happens all the time.

Scott on the ice that late thinks he needs to get momentum by a big hit. He knows he is not likely to score.

I agree with you though, the NHL needs to determine what is late and not late and be consistent.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Use this one, as cjzero seems overloaded:

cheapshot_medium.gif

I wasn't even sure it was a headshot at all watching it live and the replays on TV last night.

But after seeing the gifs 2 things make it clear that scott is going bye bye for a while.

Thing 1: Watch Scott's left arm throughout the whole gif. People have been saying it wasn't a thrown elbow and his arm was tucked and he just skated through him, but that's not true. He winds up just before the hit and throws his elbow into the chest of eriksson. You see it clearly if all you focus on is Scott's arm.

Thing 2: This time, focus just on eriksson, specifically his head. People are claiming it was a body shot and his head just whiplashed into scott - again, just not true. The very first part of eriksson that moves is his head - it twists violently to his left after bouncing off scott's shoulder. Then, his body follows his head as scott drives through with his elbow to the chest. Clearly shoulder to the head is the principal point of contact. Body first would mean the body would start to turn first. Whiplash contact would mean the body would have to turn to the left first while the head whips to the right into scott. Neither of those happened, the head was hit first and twisted violently to the left.

This hit was definitely worst than the hit that got kaleta suspended for 10 games. Kaleta got his 10 games because of reputation and repeat offender status in spite of a hit that barely even drew the attention of anyone. Scott's hit was highly penalized, caused an injury, and while it shouldn't be taken into consideration, it was in the national spotlight during a time when the league is trying to crack down on head shots. Well the league can't claim that seriously without a strong response to a high profile incident like this. I haven't even been aware of most of the other hits that drew suspensions recently, but this one will be talked about by everyone. The league has no other option but to respond harshly. I'm expecting 10 games, even though scott is not a "repeat offender". I'd be surprised at anything less.

I'm a sabres fan, I hate the bruins, I cheered when lucic took a puck to the face, I don't even have a stong opinion of scott one way or the other. But objectively speaking, we're not going to be seeing him around for a little while.

imyourhuckleberry

Nyaaa..What's Up Doc
Sep 1, 2003
Sucks the kid got injured, but as a Sabres fan, (not a Scott fan) I just can't come to terms that this was intentional.

Scott crouched a bit to try and avoid a head hit.

Hit with forearm to chest first.

Follow through shoulder jilted head but that's just due to size and postion from initial chest hit.

Not that what I see matters. We all know Scott has a dirty/tough reputation and will get the book thrown at him. Switch the player to Chara and say Pysyk and there would probably not be a penalty or suspension.

Oh well.....we suck anyways.....just hope the kid is ok at this point.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Hit with forearm to chest first.

Follow through shoulder jilted head but that's just due to size and postion from initial chest hit.

Nope watch the gif more closely. The first part of eriksson's body to turn was his head, violently to the left. Then his body followed.

I'm not saying it was intentional, but shoulder to head was the initial point of contact.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Judging from various suspensions this season, the league seems to really want the type of hit in question to be initiated at the waist area and lower core instead of at the crest and up.

Problem is, that opens the door for tons of knee-on-knee collisions.

Those type of hits get suspended as well. The crack down in low hits years ago is why we rarely see hip checks any more.

Basically we are going to see less hits but more punishing ones because guys are doing less and less to protect themselves.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Those type of hits get suspended as well. The crack down in low hits years ago is why we rarely see hip checks any more.

Basically we are going to see less hits but more punishing ones because guys are doing less and less to protect themselves.
I know. I mean if Scott takes the angle the league wants him to, he's running headlong into Eriksson's outstretched knee.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
I ain't going to lie, seeing these Boston fans up in arms over the hit makes me happy. They employ some of the dirtiest players in the NHL and have been involved with some of the most questionable hits in the history of the game, yet when it happens to them, the whole NHL should shut down and award them the cup for their suffering.

To me this is one of the worst cheap shots I have ever seen and I dont recall Chara even getting suspended for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

This is where I'm torn. I hate that a player got hurt and I hate what a useless plug Scott is. Yet, this happened against a team whose arena stores sold framed pictures of Lucic running Miller to their fans.

How did the B's respond? McQuaid (props to him for doing Thorntons job) jumps him with a few rabbit punches, a hug, and hanging on for the take down. Then nothing. Nothing from the same team that used to be all about punching Sabres players after the whistle, slashing people on the way to the bench, and jumping players like Regher and Weber. Big bad Bruins indeed.

I was hopeful when Scott came in because I thought we might win a fight or two for a change. It's been a total disappointment. Not enough fighters will oblige him, leading to incidents like this and what happened with Kessel. It's just a lame sideshow and an embarassment.

So, I guess I just hate the whole situation. John Scott sucks, a good player got hurt, and none of the Bruins that I don't like were tuned up.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Inexcusable hit, but let's not forget why Scott was put on this team. This is a little bit of chickens coming home to roost.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I wasn't even sure it was a headshot at all watching it live and the replays on TV last night.

But after seeing the gifs 2 things make it clear that scott is going bye bye for a while.

Thing 1: Watch Scott's left arm throughout the whole gif. People have been saying it wasn't a thrown elbow and his arm was tucked and he just skated through him, but that's not true. He winds up just before the hit and throws his elbow into the chest of eriksson. You see it clearly if all you focus on is Scott's arm.

Thing 2: This time, focus just on eriksson, specifically his head. People are claiming it was a body shot and his head just whiplashed into scott - again, just not true. The very first part of eriksson that moves is his head - it twists violently to his left after bouncing off scott's shoulder. Then, his body follows his head as scott drives through with his elbow to the chest. Clearly shoulder to the head is the principal point of contact. Body first would mean the body would start to turn first. Whiplash contact would mean the body would have to turn to the left first while the head whips to the right into scott. Neither of those happened, the head was hit first and twisted violently to the left.

This hit was definitely worst than the hit that got kaleta suspended for 10 games. Kaleta got his 10 games because of reputation and repeat offender status in spite of a hit that barely even drew the attention of anyone. Scott's hit was highly penalized, caused an injury, and while it shouldn't be taken into consideration, it was in the national spotlight during a time when the league is trying to crack down on head shots. Well the league can't claim that seriously without a strong response to a high profile incident like this. I haven't even been aware of most of the other hits that drew suspensions recently, but this one will be talked about by everyone. The league has no other option but to respond harshly. I'm expecting 10 games, even though scott is not a "repeat offender". I'd be surprised at anything less.

I'm a sabres fan, I hate the bruins, I cheered when lucic took a puck to the face, I don't even have a stong opinion of scott one way or the other. But objectively speaking, we're not going to be seeing him around for a little while.

I'm not disagreeing with either of your statements. However the elbow hit was to the body and the shoulder was to the head. Your two statements are not related even though it could be seen as such. A "closed" elbow to the body is legal and Scott cant do much about the height difference. However, it looked predatory and careless and he should get games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad