John Scott suspension [7 games; won't appeal]

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If nothing else, even without the hit to the head rule (which is a penalty now, intent or not), it's still a pretty blatant charge. He takes 5 strides towards Eriksson before contact. I don't think it was as bad as everyone's making out (I think Eriksson frankly should be much more aware of his surroundings, and the little dangle he does before dumping the puck made him that much more vulnerable), but trying to call it a completely clean hit makes you just as bad as the Bruins fans you're criticizing with this post.

if you see 5 strides you are both blind and mathematically deficient

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Is it me, or is that Marchand spearing Scott in the balls right before the hit?

It's right at the start of the video.

Needless to say, it seemed to fire him up.

Reap what you sow?

If that is the case, there might be intent and should get more than 5 games.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Every "principal point of contact" hit this year for a player who is technically "not a repeat offender" has carried a max of 5 games.

So I predict 15 games, and a 100K fine for Rolston, because Buffalo.

Maybe you listened to too much Milbury

Any Milbury is too much Milbury. He's a worse commentator than he was a GM. He's worse at analysis than Rolston is at coaching. Wanna see a meathead, shoe-boy? Here's a mirror.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Every "principal point of contact" hit this year for a player who is technically "not a repeat offender" has carried a max of 5 games.

So I predict 15 games, and a 100K fine for Rolston, because Buffalo.

agreed...that keeps him out of Toronto too so win-win everyone but the Sabres....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
They may be short, choppy strides to do Scott's version of "turning", but they are strides nonetheless.

if you took the time to view the video I guarantee you will see Scott take ZERO strides from the point when Loui releases the puck....please provide video/photo evidence to demonstrate otherwise....

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
if you took the time to view the video I guarantee you will see Scott take ZERO strides from the point when Loui releases the puck....please provide video/photo evidence to demonstrate otherwise....
When he releases the puck has nothing to do with the charging rule. He sees the player, sets a line to hit the guy, and takes 5 strides to accelerate into the hit.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
When he releases the puck has nothing to do with the charging rule. He sees the player, sets a line to hit the guy, and takes 5 strides to accelerate into the hit.

again he doesnt "stride" even once...please show me, I'd love to be proven wrong cuz I feel like a homer fan...he doesnt even move his legs lol

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
again he doesnt "stride" even once...please show me, I'd love to be proven wrong cuz I feel like a homer fan...he doesnt even move his legs lol
Rewind a few seconds. Again, the charging rule has more to do with the buildup to the hit than it does the moment of impact.

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia

Your right, no strides.
But targetted the head and point of contact is the head, can't say you don't see that as you've watched it numerous times to count the strides...type of hit the NHL and most fans want out of the game...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Rewind a few seconds. Again, the charging rule has more to do with the buildup to the hit than it does the moment of impact.

he cant build up to hit someone when they still have the puck? if Im rewinding them Loui still has the puck...there is no basis for providing "strides" its borderline late but not late...theres no elbow...all you can say was Scott is tall and threw a hit and Loui was small...

moreover on a semi-off topic basis the more i watch that video the more I hate McQuaid for starting a fight throwing 2 quick before Scott lost his gloves then literally threw himself on the ice to end teh fight....way to go people give u credit for sticking up for a team mate but u quite literally did nothing...

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Your right, no strides.
But targetted the head and point of contact is the head, can't say you don't see that as you've watched it numerous times to count the strides...type of hit the NHL and most fans want out of the game...

Hits the head, yes. Targets the head? C'mon. It's John Scott we're talking about. He's not a good enough checker to hit someone like that on purpose. ;)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
There was not an elbow. Anyone suggesting there was is a Bruins homer.

That being said, if you are actually telling me Scott didn't contact Eriksson's head from the side...you're not any less a homer.

People need to put their subjectivity aside and actually just watch the video if they want the right to criticize everything Shanahan does and what not. It just shocks me what some are willing and able to see just based on which team they are loyal to.

That's a completely rational and fact-based assessment.

Would you agree that the precedent has been set, for similar "principal point of contact" hits this year in similar situations and with similar results, that 5 games is the reasonably expected outcome? It would seem a logical conclusion, right? It's happened every time, yes? That's what it should be and nobody on this board would argue with it.

But we all know that it won't be 5 games. It will be north of 10. Because Buffalo. Just like Lapierre got 5, because Not Buffalo.

Come on Shanny. Prove me wrong JUST ONCE.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Your right, no strides.

appreciate your input BRUIN8...no agenda at all...

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
he cant build up to hit someone when they still have the puck? if Im rewinding them Loui still has the puck...there is no basis for providing "strides" its borderline late but not late...theres no elbow...all you can say was Scott is tall and threw a hit and Loui was small...

moreover on a semi-off topic basis the more i watch that video the more I hate McQuaid for starting a fight throwing 2 quick before Scott lost his gloves then literally threw himself on the ice to end teh fight....way to go people give u credit for sticking up for a team mate but u quite literally did nothing...
You can't check someone period if they don't have the puck period. The charging rules are in addition to that. So no, you can't take more than a couple of strides for the purpose of checking an opponent. The rule: "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner."

No mention of a puck.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
I wouldn't be surprised if this was 25+ games, honestly. Scott is the perfect candidate to really throw the back at. What he did was stupid and dangerous though. He has to do his time. No one will miss him, except for post game interviews when he does his thing.

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia

and you could say he targetted the head and point of contact was the head and there were no strides and it wasn't late...still 5+

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if this was 25+ games, honestly. Scott is the perfect candidate to really throw the back at. What he did was stupid and dangerous though. He has to do his time. No one will miss him, except for post game interviews when he does his thing.

25+ for someone who is not a repeat offender?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Would you agree that the precedent has been set, for similar "principal point of contact" hits this year in similar situations and with similar results, that 5 games is the reasonably expected outcome? It would seem a logical conclusion, right? It's happened every time, yes? That's what it should be and nobody on this board would argue with it.

But we all know that it won't be 5 games. It will be north of 10. Because Buffalo. Just like Lapierre got 5, because Not Buffalo.

If I had to guess I would also say 5. As others have said, Scott was warned after the Toronto incident (which of course I took great enjoyment in for obvious reasons being a Bruins/former-Kessel fan), but doesn't technically have a history.

The only difference I may be able to see with this hit as opposed to the Lapierre (whom I despise) and McLeod hits is that there weren't any sudden movements which changed anything here. Scott saw what was there, and should have been able to know Eriksson was in a vulnerable position and prone to injury from a hit. As I said in another post, I believe it can absolutely be considered blindside. Scott isn't a dirty player and not mean-spirited by any means, but he made a dumb decision he had time to make and it was at the sake of Eriksson's health.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I commend you for the objective conversation but the bolded is ridiculous. And I'm not just calling you out for it, I'm calling the percentage of EVERY FANBASE who says this exact same thing. It's not true and is a reaction based solely on emotions and subjective, homerish thinking. There is no true, non-foolish reason Shanahan has chosen and is enforcing the Sabres as a target.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I commend you for the objective conversation but the bolded is ridiculous. And I'm not just calling you out for it, I'm calling the percentage of EVERY FANBASE who says this exact same thing. It's not true and is a reaction based solely on emotions and subjective, homerish thinking. There is no true, non-foolish reason Shanahan has chosen and is enforcing the Sabres as a target.
You clearly aren't aware of the truly hideous decisions that have come down from whoever the head of discipline has been against the Sabres. Lucic on Miller is only the tip of the iceberg and it dates back many, many years (pre-Shanahan, even).

Sabres fans are completely correct to have his view point.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You clearly aren't aware of the truly hideous decisions that have come down from whoever the head of discipline has been against the Sabres. Lucic on Miller is only the tip of the iceberg and it dates back many, many years (pre-Shanahan, even).

Sabres fans are completely correct to have his view point.

I feel the same way. I feel that the Bruins get preferential treatment because of the sway Jeremy Jacobs has with the league.

You can't say there is no bias by "the league". These are people making the decisions. Look no further than NHL executive Colin Campbell meddling in the affairs of the officials when he didn't like penalties that were assessed against his son, Gregory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->