John Scott suspension [7 games; won't appeal]

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
This post raises a lot of thoughts / hypotheticals.

I assume whether to appeal or not is the decision of the player (and not his club), as Shanahan's office and the machinations of the wheel of justice are part of the terms of the CBA, and therefore the NHLPA vs. the NHL and it's member clubs. I do not know the extent to which a club formally or informally counsels a player (or his agent) on whether to appeal or not (or even whether they are allowed to or not).
Darcy Regier was present at Kaleta's appeal and had his voice heard in favor of reducing Kaleta's suspension.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Darcy Regier was present at Kaleta's appeal and had his voice heard in favor of reducing Kaleta's suspension.

Thanks - had forgetten that.

Still, would like to see the Sabres (and other clubs/players for that matter) to use the appeal process to formally and semi-publicly lobby for consistency in reviewed and disciplined head hits, as opposed to solely appealing for leniency.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Scott is the team's designated fighter. Nothing more, and nothing less. You can't go deciding to suspend one player longer than another because of their skill on the ice. Unless, of course, you're Shanahan.

Or Toronto. They still haven't gotten it through their heads that the Kessel thing happened because the Leafs heavyweight didn't challenge Scott while he was on the ice and ready to do his job. Instead he challenges, concusses, and breaks the jaw of Corey Tropp, a much smaller guy, and does it right in front of Scott. So Scott tells their bench, ok, your goon wants to go after little guys and won't fight me? Then I'm going after whoever you line up on me. And they chose Kessel.

If you're wondering why Scott is on the team, and deserves to be on the team, remember that little incident. Are you a fan of the Sabres team that stood around after Lucic blasted Miller in the skull?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks - had forgetten that.

Still, would like to see the Sabres (and other clubs/players for that matter) to use the appeal process to formally and semi-publicly lobby for consistency in reviewed and disciplined head hits, as opposed to solely appealing for leniency.

The scene: First Darcy lobbies for Kaleta and his unfair treatment at the hands of referees and Shanahan. He then gives an impassioned (...for Darcy) speech justifying the Sabres icing players like Kaleta, Scott, and McCormick, the need to protect Ryan Miller, and the need to change the team's soft identity.

Kaleta, hooded to allay fears, is brought in to speak on his own behalf:

Note the clearly inadvertent interference at 0:25. Player jumped in his path. :shakehead

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 48s

#Sabres John Scott on "late hit" ... "Pierre McGuire shooting his mouth off right after the hit got that on a lot of peoples’ minds."

Atta boy John .... call it like it is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

#Sabres John Scott on "late hit" ... "Pierre McGuire shooting his mouth off right after the hit got that on a lot of peoples’ minds."

Yep. I wonder what John chirps Creeper Pierre when next he can.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Only John Scott knows what his intent was with the hit. Good on him.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BNHarrington

Love John Scott's points. He got 7 games cuz his first-time hit was a live-on-NBC spectacle. First-time plummets from behind all got less.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Or Toronto. They still haven't gotten it through their heads that the Kessel thing happened because the Leafs heavyweight didn't challenge Scott while he was on the ice and ready to do his job. Instead he challenges, concusses, and breaks the jaw of Corey Tropp, a much smaller guy, and does it right in front of Scott. So Scott tells their bench, ok, your goon wants to go after little guys and won't fight me? Then I'm going after whoever you line up on me. And they chose Kessel.

If you're wondering why Scott is on the team, and deserves to be on the team, remember that little incident. Are you a fan of the Sabres team that stood around after Lucic blasted Miller in the skull?

We don't need Scott for that. That team should have done more, simple. Not the personnel, the attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad