John Scott suspension [7 games; won't appeal]

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
A bad team and a guy no one likes. Look for Shanny to go hog wild with this one. Suspending Sabres helps make him look tough, so he can go back to handing out five games to guys who make players get stretchered off the ice.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 5m
BUF's John Scott has an in-person hearing with NHL for hit to the head on BOS's Loui Eriksson though date and time has yet to be set.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
A bad team and a guy no one likes. Look for Shanny to go hog wild with this one. Suspending Sabres helps make him look tough, so he can go back to handing out five games to guys who make players get stretchered off the ice.

Plus Jeremy Jacobs gets his way.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
BUF's John Scott has an in-person hearing with NHL for hit to the head on BOS's Loui Eriksson though date and time has yet to be set.

What about tomorrow? Like seriously, what does Shanny do anyways that's so time consuming?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm sure they'll take their time like they did with Kaleta.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 1h
Claude Julien on John Scott: "He did his job. He's there to do 2 things: to fight and to hurt. He did both of those things

He's done very little of either of those 2 things this season.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Joe Haggerty
‏@HackswithHaggs
Per a source, Loui Eriksson is staying behind in Buffalo tonight for observation as the Bruins fly home for a game tomorrow #BruinsTalk

not good :(

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 1h
Claude Julien on John Scott: "He did his job. He's there to do 2 things: to fight and to hurt. He did both of those things

He's done very little of either of those 2 things this season.
If he's out there to hurt then why is this the first time he's injured someone as a sabre, outside of a fight? What an ignorant statement by another knee jerk media member.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If he's out there to hurt then why is this the first time he's injured someone as a sabre, outside of a fight? What an ignorant statement by another knee jerk media member.
That was actually from Julien...who's merely a hypocritical jackass of a coach...so meh...

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Even if its only a 10 game suspension, we should waive Scott on our own, just get rid of him. It was dirty, pathetic and cowardly.

So we should waive everyone who hits? If I remember correctly you waited to waive Kaleta too. The hit wasn't dirty or pathetic and definitely NOT cowardly, he answered the bell and one.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
What about tomorrow? Like seriously, what does Shanny do anyways that's so time consuming?

You have hair and makeup..then a multi day vocal test so he sounds like an authority. Then another day or two to Photoshop and watch slow motion video of the same 6 sec clip from 360 different angles and then twist words to make Scott look like the super devil, marmalade jar and all.

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia
This is what will happen and it's hilarious.

Scott has no history. Three other hits to the head were thrown last week that resulted in 5 game suspensions. But because he was warned which isn't official Shannahan will somehow find a way to give him more games than were handed out last week.

Scott may have no history, but I believe that these 3-5 game suspensions aren't slowing down the head-shots, so I'd bet it's a good opportunity for Shanahan to take to the next level of 8-10 games and at some point players will change their ways..

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
luckily I've seen pics of scott not raising his elbow in a questionable/late hit...just like kaleta's hit....sooooo I expect 10 games lol but hey if you are ANYONE on ANY TEAM you deserve less...pftt, they'll suspend him exactly 11 so hes not there to answer to Orr and McClaren...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Scott may have no history, but I believe that these 3-5 game suspensions aren't slowing down the head-shots, so I'd bet it's a good opportunity for Shanahan to take to the next level of 8-10 games and at some point players will change their ways..

it wasn't a head shot though...shoulder to shoulder and Loui's head whiplashes towards Scott...there was no mythical elbow...just neuter the game and remove hitting if this is your stance...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Probably closer to 10 games.

I think it's a bit ridiculous. The hit was slightly late, but not really. Hits are that "late" all the time. It was not a blind-side hit, which are much much worse.

The head was hit because of 2 factors:
(1) Height difference, including the fact that Loui was leaning down after the pass
(2) The angle of Loui's body after dumping the puck.

I have no problem with them calling a penalty on it, but I think the hit is being COMPLETELY blown out of proportion because of who it is (a goon).

Both perfectly good reasons to choose not to make the hit.

For the record, I am a Bruins fan, but I try to be level headed about this stuff. I'm not going to demonize Scott because of this; there isn't really much I've seen to suggest he's a dirty player, but he made a dumb decision which resulted in at least a moderately significant injury. It's a hit he should not have made and I completely disagree with people saying it's "not blindside." He comes from an angle in which the player has no ability to defend himself....BLINDSIDE.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
it wasn't a head shot though...shoulder to shoulder and Loui's head whiplashes towards Scott...there was no mythical elbow...just neuter the game and remove hitting if this is your stance...

There was not an elbow. Anyone suggesting there was is a Bruins homer.

That being said, if you are actually telling me Scott didn't contact Eriksson's head from the side...you're not any less a homer.

People need to put their subjectivity aside and actually just watch the video if they want the right to criticize everything Shanahan does and what not. It just shocks me what some are willing and able to see just based on which team they are loyal to.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
My problem with the hit is that he goes east to west. North to south he hits him clean with incidental contact. But coming in from the angle he does he hits more head and appears more vicious.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Is it me, or is that Marchand spearing Scott in the balls right before the hit?

It's right at the start of the video.

Needless to say, it seemed to fire him up.

Reap what you sow?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
There was not an elbow. Anyone suggesting there was is a Bruins homer.

That being said, if you are actually telling me Scott didn't contact Eriksson's head from the side...you're not any less a homer.

People need to put their subjectivity aside and actually just watch the video if they want the right to criticize everything Shanahan does and what not. It just shocks me what some are willing and able to see just based on which team they are loyal to.

what is 6'8 Scott supposed to do leaned down a foot and throw a check? His role is to fire his team up. Maybe you listened to too much Milbury but he had a reason to be on the ice at the point to throw hits/fight to get his team going. Just because he threw a legal check which caused Loui's head to whiplash into Scott isnt suspended able.

God, Lucic can run whomever

Chara can break necks

Ference had a track record of BS hits

Marchand's gif of rock em sockem roboting a Sedin is widely applauded even though it deserved a penalty...

Bruins fans still cry about Savard....this is the new Savard, tears will flow through the Boston streets as they play victim until Thorton/Lucic etc/maybe they can call McDermott up again to play the sabres(yeah they did that...put a goon into the lineup for a game knowing he cant play hockey) go out and "get revenge" and beat up little guys on the Sabres...all is fair if Campbells in your corner I guess...

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
what is 6'8 Scott supposed to do leaned down a foot and throw a check? His role is to fire his team up. Maybe you listened to too much Milbury but he had a reason to be on the ice at the point to throw hits/fight to get his team going. Just because he threw a legal check which caused Loui's head to whiplash into Scott isnt suspended able.

God, Lucic can run whomever

Chara can break necks

Ference had a track record of BS hits

Marchand's gif of rock em sockem roboting a Sedin is widely applauded even though it deserved a penalty...

Bruins fans still cry about Savard....this is the new Savard, tears will flow through the Boston streets as they play victim until Thorton/Lucic etc/maybe they can call McDermott up again to play the sabres(yeah they did that...put a goon into the lineup for a game knowing he cant play hockey) go out and "get revenge" and beat up little guys on the Sabres...all is fair if Campbells in your corner I guess...

If nothing else, even without the hit to the head rule (which is a penalty now, intent or not), it's still a pretty blatant charge. He takes 5 strides towards Eriksson before contact. I don't think it was as bad as everyone's making out (I think Eriksson frankly should be much more aware of his surroundings, and the little dangle he does before dumping the puck made him that much more vulnerable), but trying to call it a completely clean hit makes you just as bad as the Bruins fans you're criticizing with this post.

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia

I agree that there was no elbow, contrary to some interpretations, but I do believe the head is targetted and the point of contact is shoulder to head...illegal hit resulting in 5+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad