Player Discussion John Moore

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I like this a lot.

Although I cant say Ive seen enough of Moore to comment on his top 4 play. But I definitely like Krug in that third pairing with Miller.

I'd like to think McAvoy could elevate a borderline top-4 guy after a year of experience under his belt. Moore is a good skater from all reports so the two could be an interesting fit. He's for sure never played with anyone as good as McAvoy on the Devils and we have a pretty good idea the other two pairings would work. This might also be the top 4 if Krug isn't ready to start the year and Grizz slides into his spot on the third pairing. Would lose a lot of offence but I like the balance.

Reactions: Strafer

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He’s a better player than Gryz, Kevan and McQuaid. By the end of the season he may even be better than Carlo.

I don’t base players solely on what they did or where they played on their prior teams. Under Cassidy/Dean I believe he will flourish and see a lot of ice time and do extremely well. His skill set translates to this system very well imo.

I bump Krug down to 3rd pair 5v5 in a heartbeat and scratch Gryz for now.
Moore is a modern day Dennis Seidenberg. He's going to be a workhorse for us. Good signing.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I noticed that in the thread
"Captain's Practice"

Dom Moore attended. Would the B's give him a PTO to have him around with/for his brother to acclimate? Has he got anything left that the Bruins may use, PK?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wanted him draft year and I always paid fair amount of attention to him when he played here live but I certainly wasn’t taking mental notes and evaluating anything.

He had that Central Casting what I want a Defenseman to look like the way Benoit Pouliot did as a forward.

He’s the perfect height and frame and skates very well - the other part we shall see.

Lou watches him and gives him the Siskel & Ebert 2 thumbs up and if there is a Devils watcher with more hockey knowledge than Lou I’d love to read them.

I’m not expecting Scott Niedermayer but not the stiff to many project

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I’ve seen a lot of Moore and I think he does very well here.

Second pair along side Carlo. 2nd pk abs spot 2pp duty. 18-20 minutes.

Bruins are a far deeper team forward wise.

Carlo a better partner than anyone on the Devils.

Bruins defense as a whole far better than the Devils. He will be going up against 2nd lines, not first

I think 2nd PK to take the load of Chara will help. Neither Krug nor Gryz were great there so you ended up with all the RHD splitting time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
To be honest, I had no idea who he was when the Bruins signed him, but from everything I've read so far, I like him.

I`d heard of him but was unfamiliar with his game. I`m sort of in the same boat as you, been reading a bit on him and observed some comments on the Devils boards and while he won`t win a Norris, like that he`s a bigger guy so he`ll likely be one who can absorb the physical play a bit better, appears to have some good wheels and mobility and it appears like he has some offensive zip to his game which might get a bit more of a jolt playing in a system under Butch

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Truly, I didn't mean to discourage you from posting those. I'm sorry if I insulted you in anyway. I just didn't wanted to clarify for people. Like I said, some of them are useful and descriptive, others not as much. That's all.

I took a course in practical logic and another in linear algrebra at university... or was it calculis where we did the stats? whatever... I sucked at these classes and pretty much failed them all

what I did take away from them though is stats are only really super useful when you frame them in the right context. polling for example will result in much different results of statatistics largely depending how you frame the question

and when you do a stat study on results you must account for abnormalities in your data pool. as a general rule of thumb you discard the extremes to try to devalue their unfair influence on the final datea study.

I pretty much failed these classes so im not going to try to lecture on any of it here other than to say theres a saying I grew up with I have always loved... it goes there are lies... there are damn lies... and there are statistics

if you want your stats to tell you a story, you can bend them any which way you want.

stats are best used to... serve as a confirmation that what you were thinking is true or not true. if you let the stats decide what your opinion should be in the first place then you are going to give guys like beoit pouliot 4 year contracts and fire coaches in florida so you can hire guys like tom rowe

I find all sorts of stats useful... but only AFTER I already have an opinion formed based on traditional ways of watching hockey that have been battle tested for the past 100 years

Reactions: Strafer

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Krug-Miller
Gryz, McQuaid

I’m liking this as the starting line up with Gryz and McQuaid being able to sub in anywhere up and down the left and right side. They have created some really nice depth.

Going to be interesting to see what they do if one of Zboril, Vaak or Lauzon comes out and has an unreal camp.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Krug-Miller
Gryz, McQuaid

I’m liking this as the starting line up with Gryz and McQuaid being able to sub in anywhere up and down the left and right side. They have created some really nice depth.

Going to be interesting to see what they do if one of Zboril, Vaak or Lauzon comes out and has an unreal camp.

I think the signing of Moore, especially at an attractive Cap hit, all but guarantees that those three get another year to develop in PRO. Maybe a mid to late season call up if there are injuries. A lot of D are slow to develop and another year against men in the AHL will help the process.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I took a course in practical logic and another in linear algrebra at university... or was it calculis where we did the stats? whatever... I sucked at these classes and pretty much failed them all

what I did take away from them though is stats are only really super useful when you frame them in the right context. polling for example will result in much different results of statatistics largely depending how you frame the question

and when you do a stat study on results you must account for abnormalities in your data pool. as a general rule of thumb you discard the extremes to try to devalue their unfair influence on the final datea study.

I pretty much failed these classes so im not going to try to lecture on any of it here other than to say theres a saying I grew up with I have always loved... it goes there are lies... there are damn lies... and there are statistics

if you want your stats to tell you a story, you can bend them any which way you want.

stats are best used to... serve as a confirmation that what you were thinking is true or not true. if you let the stats decide what your opinion should be in the first place then you are going to give guys like beoit pouliot 4 year contracts and fire coaches in florida so you can hire guys like tom rowe

I find all sorts of stats useful... but only AFTER I already have an opinion formed based on traditional ways of watching hockey that have been battle tested for the past 100 years

Ahh, strawmen.

Reactions: Pia8988

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Net negative meaning that when Moore is on the ice, his team gets worse in shots for/against, shot quality for/against, scoring chances for/against. He doesn't "move the needle" in any impactful way. At best he treads water, at worst his team suffers.

I mentioned this in my reply to Son of Donegal but just because a guy gets a lot of minutes doesn't mean he performs well in those minutes. It just means that either his coach thinks highly of him or that his coach felt like he didn't have any better options.

I'm all for getting a guy who can help on the PK but that skillset is so readily available that I see no reason to pay for a premium in term for it.

He also faced QoC by TOI (barely) harder than Chara last season. And had more defensive zone starts than Chara.

edit: OOPS, this was filtered by the playoffs only... will post update below

edit2: Moore did have about the same zone starts as Chara, but his QoC would have been 3rd on the Bruins in the regular season.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

The bolded was really the only thing you needed to say...

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
He also faced QoC by TOI (barely) harder than Chara last season. And had more defensive zone starts than Chara.

edit: OOPS, this was filtered by the playoffs only... will post update below

edit2: Moore did have about the same zone starts as Chara, but his QoC would have been 3rd on the Bruins in the regular season.

And he performed miserably with that deployment. He's not some defensive stalwart.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Krug-Miller
Gryz, McQuaid

New era. Having a super solid #7 has always been a real luxury...almost unheard of, really...looks like DS has committed to a super solid #7 in McQuaid and a solid more-than-ready #8 in Gryz.

I’m just starting to accept that DS has the kiwis to hold onto all these guys for the inevitable injuries...it’s smart and progressive thinking...

I had a hard time believing he’d tell TWO guys like McQuaid and Gryz to sit and wait...but it looks like he’s gonna do it. Kudos.

They probably won’t have to wait that long in this modern era of athlete durability.

————-

As for Moore being the next Seids...I just doubt it. I hope you guys are right. But I can’t imagine this kid being that rock solid. I have high hopes...but I have a feeling he won’t remind me of old iron Seids. Tall order. He was a brick house.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
New era. Having a super solid #7 has always been a real luxury...almost unheard of, really...looks like DS has committed to a super solid #7 in McQuaid and a solid more-than-ready #8 in Gryz.

I’m just starting to accept that DS has the kiwis to hold onto all these guys for the inevitable injuries...it’s smart and progressive thinking...

I had a hard time believing he’d tell TWO guys like McQuaid and Gryz to sit and wait...but it looks like he’s gonna do it. Kudos.

They probably won’t have to wait that long in this modern era of athlete durability.

————-

As for Moore being the next Seids...I just doubt it. I hope you guys are right. But I can’t imagine this kid being that rock solid. I have high hopes...but I have a feeling he won’t remind me of old iron Seids. Tall order. He was a brick house.

For this carrying 8 D thing to work, they absolutely have to use Gryz (a left-shot guy) when a LD goes down, and vice versa, use McQuaid when a RD goes down. If they look at it strictly from the point of view of one guy is a #7 and the other a #8, the number 8 guy might end up sitting A LONG time, much too long really. It has to be a Spare LD (Gryz) and Spare RD (McQuaid) , not a 7/8 set-up where the #7 guy is always the first option to go in.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

————-

Unless John Moore is going to spend almost every waking hour not on the ice in the gym, I see it as a very rough comparison.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
And he performed miserably with that deployment. He's not some defensive stalwart.

Chara and Moore both played between 1330 and 1350 5 on 5 minutes last year. They both allowed between 50 and 60 goals in those minutes last year. Lets not pretend Moore was Matt Bartkowski out there.

You also ignore the Taylor Hall effect. The Devils were 100% driven by the MVP last year. You know who isn't on the ice when Moore is playing those tough minutes in New Jersey? Taylor Hall. When on the ice together, Moore and Hall had a 53% corsi and a 66% gf%. Moore was a brutal 46% Corsi without Hall and playing with whatever garbage Jersey thru over the boards. Hall was a 50% Corsi guy when Moore wasn't around.

NO ONE is going to argue that Moore is some driver of play. BUT most of his time was spent buried with garbage help. Most NHLers...especially blue liners...aren't these amazing play drivers. Moore is what he is, a guy with great wheels and size that you don't have to shelter, but won't be a difference maker on his own. The Bruins have difference makers on the blue line in Chara, McAvoy and Krug. Moore should allow the Bruins to put those guys in a better position to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad