Player Discussion John Moore

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Bruins choose term over money in signing Moore to five-year deal

The Colorado Avalanche got a favorable term by offering big money to Ian Cole, while the Boston Bruins took the polar opposite approach to their signing of John Moore. The Bruins got Moore for an average of $2.75 million per year and were willing to commit to him for five years. You either pay in money or term and the Bruins chose term.

I have to say that the signing of John Moore is intriguing me more and more as the season approaches. Obviously the 5-year term caught everybody by surprise, but all indication is that the term was the main factor in landing the defenseman without ponying up for $$.

The FO seems to be banking on Moore taking a huge step forward. Maybe Cassidy is the man to get the most out of JM.

One observation is that Moore isn't afraid to step up into the rush and has decent enough hands.

We know he can skate and should be a big presence on the left side.

Thoughts on upside? Player Comparable?

Reactions: AlpineLager

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
He'll start out as a 3rd pairing guy, but I think they see him as someone who can play tougher minutes than that.
I honestly see this signing being closely tied to chara. Moore should take a lot of minutes off of Chara's shoulders during the regular season for the next year or two, and then step up into a larger role after Z retires (assuming no younger guys prove themselves). And if they don't need him 2 years from now, they can easily move that contract.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
I don't know much about him, but I'm with FO when they say you can't have too many defencemen come playoff time. And in a related note, I am not worried in the least about the term, because there is no NTC, and he is the exact kind of player teams overpay for at the deadline to shore up their own D because of injuries. So in any of his 5 years, the Bruins will either need him for their own playoff run, or if they're not in it, they can easily move him for an asset.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Bruins choose term over money in signing Moore to five-year deal

The Colorado Avalanche got a favorable term by offering big money to Ian Cole, while the Boston Bruins took the polar opposite approach to their signing of John Moore. The Bruins got Moore for an average of $2.75 million per year and were willing to commit to him for five years. You either pay in money or term and the Bruins chose term.

I have to say that the signing of John Moore is intriguing me more and more as the season approaches. Obviously the 5-year term caught everybody by surprise, but all indication is that the term was the main factor in landing the defenseman without ponying up for $$.

The FO seems to be banking on Moore taking a huge step forward. Maybe Cassidy is the man to get the most out of JM.

One observation is that Moore isn't afraid to step up into the rush and has decent enough hands.

We know he can skate and should be a big presence on the left side.

Thoughts on upside? Player Comparable?

Thanks for posting that. He really has a good sense when to jump in on the offense and moves really well for big player, looking forward to seeing how he slots in with the B's

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't know much about him, but I'm with FO when they say you can't have too many defencemen come playoff time. And in a related note, I am not worried in the least about the term, because there is no NTC, and he is the exact kind of player teams overpay for at the deadline to shore up their own D because of injuries. So in any of his 5 years, the Bruins will either need him for their own playoff run, or if they're not in it, they can easily move him for an asset.

Now I know that some don't like this possibility brought up, but there is also an expansion draft coming in the future. By then, John Moore could have 2-3 years left on his very reasonable 2.75M AAV. That could be intriguing, especially if he plays well. And also, in 2 years there's a chance that Chara and Krug could be gone via retirement, UFA, etc.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I’ve said in other threads he almost has a Seidenberg feel about him. A year younger than Seids was when we got him and played for multiple teams before getting here. Has shown at times that top 4 ability but hasn’t been able to put it all together. Offensive spurts that can move the puck up the ice but not a offensive D per say. More of a Defensive D. The only difference I find is Moore is bigger and Seids never skated as fast as this guy can. As others have said I think Kevin Dean is going to be very good for Moore and I think he is going to be a positive addition to this club.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I let my Hockey News subscription run out last May because of guys like Ken Campbell who wrote this.

I’m on the fence because it has some useful stuff but not sure what I’ll do.

This guy is a former Leafs beat writer who bleeds blue and white and always has a snide remark on the Bruins

I’m sure he’s awesome to some but he’s just another Toronto stooge who’s never seen the Leafs win a playoff series in 25 years let alone a Cup

It’s why my dislike for them is in back of Montreal

If Dubas fails and I’m contacted to save that organization I don’t even know if I want to bring happiness to guys like Ken Campbell

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
They signed Miller and McQuaid to deals similar to this one and I’d say those worked out. In fact, Moore’s is quite a bit cheaper (though longer) given how much lower a % of the cap this is.

If he ends up being a solid third pair that can help kill penalties, I am fine with this deal.

They will probably have to move one of the seven incumbents out, but in doing so, you are bringing assets back into the organization for free, in some sense.

Reactions: Strafer

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I let my Hockey News subscription run out last May because of guys like Ken Campbell who wrote this.

This guy is a former Leafs beat writer who bleeds blue and white and always has a snide remark on the Bruins

I’m sure he’s awesome to some but he’s just another Toronto stooge who’s never seen the Leafs win a playoff series in 25 years let alone a Cup

If Dubas fails and I’m contacted to save that organization I don’t even know if I want to bring happiness to guys like Ken Campbell

TBH it was the first article that I saw. I didn't realize it was THN until I posted it. Agree that it has basically become rubbish. Nonetheless, I agree with the premise that the long-term deal was key for both sides involved.

Wonder what that cover would look like now that they got Tavares "Not a matter of when the Leafs will win the Cup, but How many?"

Probably along the lines of - "All the rest of the 30 NHL teams might as well not waste their time playing the next 5 seasons, the Leafs will win 5 Cups in a row!"

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
TBH it was the first article that I saw. I didn't realize it was THN until I posted it. Agree that it has basically become rubbish. Nonetheless, I agree with the premise that the long-term deal was key for both sides involved.

Wonder what that cover would look like now that they got Tavares "Not a matter of when the Leafs will win the Cup, but How many?"

Probably along the lines of - "All the rest of the 30 NHL teams might as well not waste their time playing the next 5 seasons, the Leafs will win 5 Cups in a row!"
The number one thing that can stop the Leafs is the cap

They don’t have really any bad contracts which is ironic as no team has had more - they have the $1.2 M they carry of Kessel that must give them indigestion but they got Horton on LTI

You just can’t really expect to have 2 guys Matthews & Taveras making at or over 20% of Cap and expect a deep team

They need Johansson to hit

They need to use their 2018-19 surplus that vanishes in 2019-20 when Marner and Matthews specifically get paid

That one year cap needs to be used trade deadline day on a top 4 expiring D being sold off

Hopefully the Leafs pay through the nose with their first in a strong 2019 draft

I thought the Leafs had an awesome draft this year - I loved it. I think Dubas if he stays grounded/centered is going to be excellent but since this is a message board I’ll trash him in good fun. He’s young and knows the market I think he can be Theo Epstein like but we shall see

They are fascinating to watch as much on the ice as how they figure that cap

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Moore I feel would be fantastic next to Carlo. He works with Killer as well, but I would bump Krug to the third pair ES due to his inadequacies pointed out by the brass in the off season. Gryz is the odd man out for me, but more so because of the talent ahead of him. He can play in this league no doubt.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sweeney saved himself some picks with this signing as he won’t need to go after a Holden type next deadline for depth.

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Moore
Gryz
McQuaid
Miller

That’s depth. Easily top 3 in NHL.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Moore will be a nice fit for us. Kid can do a little bit of everything and I believe will have a bigger roll than folks may think

Reactions: FanSince72

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Isn't this the john Moore thread? :huh:

I sure hope The Hockey News can deal with the loss. :laugh:

Anyways, I think Moore will be playing with McAvoy and I think it's going to be a great combo. Charlie is only going to get better than he already is and John Moore is a player still in his prime and will have a career year. Yeah, I've changed my mind on this signing.

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
I know nothing about John Moore's defensive game, but from what ive seen he adds something we dont have. He loves to pinch and seems to be able to put the puck on net. Excited to see what he can bring

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For some reason I found myself intrigued by him whenever the B's played NJ last season. He seems to always be around the puck, is always involved in the play when he's on the ice and makes himself noticed. Last season I felt as though he was a thorn in the Bruins side whenever they played NJ.
I thought that he played a very "aware" game against the B's. A Conspicuous player who takes charge. I think that we're really going to like him and he'll have a fan following here very soon.

Reactions: DKH and GloveSave1

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Bang on.

Sweeney hasn’t gotten enough credit for this. It’s a very smart, tactical singing. It is borderline “innovative”.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Now I know that some don't like this possibility brought up, but there is also an expansion draft coming in the future. By then, John Moore could have 2-3 years left on his very reasonable 2.75M AAV. That could be intriguing, especially if he plays well. And also, in 2 years there's a chance that Chara and Krug could be gone via retirement, UFA, etc.

You cross that bridge when you come to it. Making personnel decisions based on an expansion draft which may or may not happen (and which may have a vastly different format) would be foolish.

We must have talked about an impending team in Vegas for a decade before it actually happened.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I know nothing about John Moore's defensive game, but from what ive seen he adds something we dont have. He loves to pinch and seems to be able to put the puck on net. Excited to see what he can bring

Is the “not enough offense” mantra ever going to go away?

McAvoy, Krug...even guys like Miller and Chara...pinch regularly under Cassidy.

I think it’s a good signing, but why does everything seem to come back to how the bruins are a slow and tentative team, when Cassidy has made them anything but.

I think we should be worried about defense ten times as much as offense.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Is the “not enough offense” mantra ever going to go away?

McAvoy, Krug...even guys like Miller and Chara...pinch regularly under Cassidy.

I think it’s a good signing, but why does everything seem to come back to how the bruins are a slow and tentative team, when Cassidy has made them anything but.

I think we should be worried about defense ten times as much as offense.

Exactly why I add Carlo to any Bruins untradable list. Not only are young, high ceiling defense, defensemen that hardest thing to find (look how long it’s taken us to hit in one who showed it at the NHL level), but it’s the last thing we could afford to lose over the next 3-5 year term.

McAvoy gets all the hype, but I’m not sure I see him as a lockdown defender...he’s got game...but the other aspects of his game - offense, snarl, hitting, aggressiveness...add up to make him a great player.

Carlo is just all about carrying the defensive load. I want to see where he can get to with that...and this team needs to find out...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't this the john Moore thread? :huh:

I sure hope The Hockey News can deal with the loss. :laugh:

Anyways, I think Moore will be playing with McAvoy and I think it's going to be a great combo. Charlie is only going to get better than he already is and John Moore is a player still in his prime and will have a career year. Yeah, I've changed my mind on this signing.

This snarky response is hurtful

Be appreciative I lobbied for you to stay here

Learn to be grateful

What’s the saying ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you?’

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom - OHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->