Player Discussion John Moore

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Moore’s signing means a few things to me.

The kids aren’t close or even reliable enough yet to trust as a 7.

Bruins don’t like the 5v5 defensive play of Krug

The Bruins feel there is no way they get past round two with two 5-9 defensemen. Tampa bludgeoned those smaller guys.

Also tells me they don't think (and rightfully so) that they can ask Chara to carry the type of load on the PK for an entire regular season + playoffs and expect to get to where they want to go.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Moore’s signing means a few things to me.

The kids aren’t close or even reliable enough yet to trust as a 7.

Bruins don’t like the 5v5 defensive play of Krug

The Bruins feel there is no way they get past round two with two 5-9 defensemen. Tampa bludgeoned those smaller guys.

Or they feel like their development would be better suited getting prime minutes in the AHL. What good would it do for their development to sit upstairs and watch?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I agree I mean even in a call up role, not to sit up here and watch.

the whole thing will be quite interesting to watch. they have 8 legitimate top-6 defenders,
and when healthy, 2 sitting in street clothes. certainly don't see that too often. i have no
idea what their plan is, but can't imagine them all sticking around all year (despite the
chatter about needing that depth for the playoffs). and moore? i see him as more of a 4-5
tweener like ference.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
the whole thing will be quite interesting to watch. they have 8 legitimate top-6 defenders,
and when healthy, 2 sitting in street clothes. certainly don't see that too often. i have no
idea what their plan is, but can't imagine them all sticking around all year (despite the
chatter about needing that depth for the playoffs). and moore? i see him as more of a 4-5
tweener like ference.

My guess is there plan is to stick to a pure LD-RD set-up as much as possible. So if a LD goes down (or deserves to sit), and LD goes in, and the same will go for the RD.

It's manageable. What isn't an option IMO is for the D to be slotted 1-8, with the 8th guy always sitting until 2 other D go down. They'll simply sit too long. See Joe Morrow in 2016-17 as an example, he sat for months as the No.8 guy.

I only see them moving a D if they feel they need to add to the forward group.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Bruins have plenty of contract spots. Once again, you got an asset for zero assets (players or picks) going back. Don't believe this bunk on HF Boards that cap space is an asset. It's not. That's the sort of HF Boards capologist crap you see around this place.

Reasonable people can disagree on the value of a guy like John Moore, but it is absurd to claim that cap space is not an asset. It's a finite resource that has value. You may not agree on how much value it has to any given team, but to say it's not a resource is just asinine.

You don't like the player, it's clear by your "Dime-a-dozen" comment. But he's not a "Dime-a-dozen", because if he was, he'd be getting "Dime-a-dozen" pay and term. The rules of how a labour market operates in terms of supply and demand still apply. You make it sound like Sweeney was the only GM making him this type of offer, and everyone else was offering 1-2 years at south of a million per.

I like the player just fine on a short term deal to serve as depth. Which is not what he got and seemingly not what the Bruins expect out of him.

And I'm not saying that Sweeney was the only one willing to overpay, I don't know how you took that away from anything that I've said about this guy.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Call me crazy but just an idea I have given thought to. Kevin Miller or Mcquaid are very trade-able and the only thing stopping that is whatever the kids show during this preseason. if one even 2 show there up to being serviceable the Moore signing evens out contract value wise. Take into account Seattle is going to have the same equal rights Vegas had and things kind of clear up a lot. Offer Seattle Gryz if they take on Backes contract and then yes the Moore signing has a true long term value and the trade offers real trade option.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Call me crazy but just an idea I have given thought to. Kevin Miller or Mcquaid are very trade-able and the only thing stopping that is whatever the kids show during this preseason. if one even 2 show there up to being serviceable the Moore signing evens out contract value wise. Take into account Seattle is going to have the same equal rights Vegas had and things kind of clear up a lot. Offer Seattle Gryz if they take on Backes contract and then yes the Moore signing has a true long term value and the trade offers real trade option.
Seattle not going to be in the league for at least another 2-3 years. Landscape of hockey could be completely different by then.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
tweener like ference.
I think they all stay this year tbh. I think Moore was our "deadline acquisition" so to speak rather than wasting assets on a Holden. Additionally McQuaid's contract is up, I'd be very surprised if they keep him at the end of the year.

Reactions: old blue

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Reasonable people can disagree on the value of a guy like John Moore, but it is absurd to claim that cap space is not an asset. It's a finite resource that has value. You may not agree on how much value it has to any given team, but to say it's not a resource is just asinine.

I like the player just fine on a short term deal to serve as depth. Which is not what he got and seemingly not what the Bruins expect out of him.

And I'm not saying that Sweeney was the only one willing to overpay, I don't know how you took that away from anything that I've said about this guy.

To say Cap Space is a asset is asinine. It's not. What did the Habs obtain from that "asset" of over 10 million dollars in cap space last season? Zilch, nada, nothing.

I'm not saying cap space isn't useful, but it's not an asset, not even close.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I thought that with the perceived emergence of "Gryz" and the addition of Moore that a trade of Krug for a RW would have happened by now. It seems like there's too many D and I'm not buying into the need for 8 NHL D on the roster. I simply can't see two quality D sitting each and every game.

Also, if Zboril, Lauzon, etc are still so far off that they can't fill in as an occasional call-up, these two look like misses.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I thought that with the perceived emergence of "Gryz" and the addition of Moore that a trade of Krug for a RW would have happened by now. It seems like there's too many D and I'm not buying into the need for 8 NHL D on the roster. I simply can't see two quality D sitting each and every game.

The Bruins have been carrying two extra defenseman for what, the last 2 seasons? The Bruins have made it a point to acquire defensive depth at TDL. This time around, they jumped on it and instead of trading for it, they've signed it. To start, you're going to see two quality D sitting each and every game. Injuries happen and they will all play.

Also, if Zboril, Lauzon, etc are still so far off that they can't fill in as an occasional call-up, these two look like misses.

They look like misses, despite the fact they just finished their first AHL seasons?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
To say Cap Space is a asset is asinine. It's not. What did the Habs obtain from that "asset" of over 10 million dollars in cap space last season? Zilch, nada, nothing.

I'm not saying cap space isn't useful, but it's not an asset, not even close.
If I have a second home that I never live in or rent out or sell or develop in any way, that doesn't mean the property isn't an asset. It means I'm an idiot who is isn't exploiting all of my resources.

Conversely, if cap space isn't an asset then why do teams have to include picks/prospects when dumping bad contracts?

This is a silly argument.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Size and Skating are fantastic. It's like the team got itself another Carlo. But with better offensive capabilities. Unfortunately also saw a couple of brain farts on the ice
End of the day, digging this signing. You can never have enough of these good size, good skating Ds these days in the NHL

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Size and Skating are fantastic. It's like the team got itself another Carlo. But with better offensive capabilities. Unfortunately also saw a couple of brain farts on the ice
End of the day, digging this signing. You can never have enough of these good size, good skating Ds these days in the NHL

His offensive instincts are top notch, he just got caught up in it too much today. He really played pretty well, and is going to fit in nicely

Reactions: rocketdan9

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Not a big Moore fan.

Getting ready for the start of the season and the Bruins having plenty of riches in the back end and with Vaak totally impressing, he may end up being a numbers causality but the one I'm least impressed with is Moore.

If it was the top 6 make it no matter what he's out. This may have to do more with the Bruins plethora of riches on the blue line but he's nothing more than a bottom pair d-man and on this current Bruin roster, I feel he slots in at number eight, seven at best.

McAvoy, Chara Krug, Carlo,Miller, Vaak and Grizz Id take over Moore. He just doesn't impress me, beside his great wheels. He seems to lack composure with the puck when he's under pressure and he tends to get caught out of positions defensively at times, chasing the puck. He seems to be lost and confused in his own end way too often.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not a big Moore fan.

Getting ready for the start of the season and the Bruins having plenty of riches in the back end and with Vaak totally impressing, he may end up being a numbers causality but the one I'm least impressed with is Moore.

If it was the top 6 make it no matter what he's out. This may have to do more with the Bruins plethora of riches on the blue line but he's nothing more than a bottom pair d-man and on this current Bruin roster, I feel he slots in at number eight, seven at best.

McAvoy, Chara Krug, Carlo,Miller, Vaak and Grizz Id take over Moore. He just doesn't impress me, beside his great wheels. He seems to lack composure with the puck when he's under pressure and he tends to get caught out of positions defensively at times, chasing the puck. He seems to be lost and confused in his own end way too often.

I think Moore's been fine. Guys played what 3 games in a new system? Odds are against him to win over B's fans.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Moore's been fine. Guys played what 3 games in a new system? Odds are against him to win over B's fans.

He also played both sides last night with two different partners and killed penalties and played PP. He’s looked good to me. Certainly better than Miller. He’s also better than Gryz and better defensively than Krug.

I get Vaak is the new future Norris winner but maybe people should pump the brakes a bit.

I also don’t see the “riches” the poster mentioned right now. Zboril another concussion unfortunately but still not in the NHL, Lauzon is meh and both have been passed by Gryz and Vaak the past two summers

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
two games in (a 0-7 loss he played in, a 4-0 win he played in), Moore is the only +2 on the roster. color me impressed. (please do not respond with criticism of that statistic's value.)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
two games in (a 0-7 loss he played in, a 4-0 win he played in), Moore is the only +2 on the roster. color me impressed. (please do not respond with criticism of that statistic's value.)

He’s definitely better with the puck than I expected.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Really liking him so far.

Seems to always be in position and most of all, he doesn’t quit even if he’s had a bit of a rocky shift (counting preseason).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->