Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
HELL NO! IT WAS DAVE TIPPET, THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN. WE SAW HIM IN THE GRASSY KNOLL CALLING ALL THE SHOTS! :sarcasm:

Well, it wouldn't be fair to the process if we didn't also mention Tippett bedding down with ownership the way he did. IceArizona's shot-callers seem to go with their gut more than planning or forethought on virtually everything, and it'd be ludicrously naive to think that Tip didn't take full advantage of that.

IceArizona built the car and offered him the driver's seat, and he was only too happy to take the wheel.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, it wouldn't be fair to the process if we didn't also mention Tippett bedding down with ownership the way he did. IceArizona's shot-callers seem to go with their gut more than planning or forethought on virtually everything, and it'd be ludicrously naive to think that Tip didn't take full advantage of that.

Interesting. I see them as very calculating.

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
Really good, and in the interview Chayka talks about how their relationship will be just like how I thought it would be. They work together to make decisions. And he explained it quite well, where in a partnership you don't do something that the other person doesn't support.

It also doesn't sound like he wants to trade young players. If anything I don't expect there to be that many moves that Maloney wouldn't have made.

In a partnership is it give and take, as with a marriage. Putting this 26 year old inexperienced kid in charge of a professional sports team is akin to hiring a kid right out of flight school to fly a Boeing 777.
Go for it buddy, we have confidence in you with your one year of training.
Good as hell luck to the passengers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In a partnership is it give and take, as with a marriage. Putting this 26 year old inexperienced kid in charge of a professional sports team is akin to hiring a kid right out of flight school to fly a Boeing 777.

He will have other experienced people with him. He is not out on an island by himself.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
He will have other experienced people with him. He is not out on an island by himself.

Simple responses don't debunk sophisticated remarks. Being around other 'experienced' people doesn't mean he's going to do a good job. I don't see how he's going to do a good job when he no longer has a real GM to mentor him.

Oh I see, Tippett is a real good GM. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Or maybe an F16?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

He won't be in charge of anything, though. DT is the final say and essentially our GM and coach.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Right. Tippett is managing the NHL roster with "input". The job Chayka is doing will continue to be AGM stuff. That's why no one more qualified was interested.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm going to drop this here for posterity.

In a few months and every few months after that, I anticipate we will continue to hear challenges to the claim that Dave Tippett had the final say on all hockey ops related issues. It will be dismissed as exaggeration and speculation.

So here is John Chayka admitting to John Gambo (last three minutes of interview) that his job is to bring information to Tippett and that Dave Tippett has the final say.

http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=321425

Just for reference when the inevitable challenges come up. We can easily search "posterity" and find this link.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yep. I heard that interview in the car and was in shock. No wonder they're having a hard time recruiting.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The good thing is that GMDT now owns it all. If it flops spectacularly, we know who had the say-so. I expect excuses about budget to soon feature prominently among the apologetica.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The good thing is that GMDT now owns it all. If it flops spectacularly, we know who had the say-so. I expect excuses about budget to soon feature prominently among the apologetica.

The problem is that there's a very real danger that he walks away from the game if he is fired, leaving IA on the hook for the remainder of his $20 million. Four million in dead weight isn't something the franchise can afford. He's invincible.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-panthers-chart-bold-new-direction/

10. The expectation was Arizona would take another run at Dallas’s Les Jackson for the Coyotes’ open assistant GM position. But, as of Tuesday night, I could find zero evidence that’s happened.

The first negotiation fell apart because the Coyotes’ offer wasn’t enough. There’s still time if they want to go this route and if Jackson is willing to re-visit.

Arizona has said it has interest in executives still employed by playoff teams. Looking for connections, one stands out. That’s St. Louis’s Dave Taylor, who worked with Dave Tippett in both Dallas and Los Angeles. Taylor hasn’t commented, and I wouldn’t expect him to while the Blues are still playing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The problem is that there's a very real danger that he walks away from the game if he is fired, leaving IA on the hook for the remainder of his $20 million. Four million in dead weight isn't something the franchise can afford. He's invincible.

They think he walks on water. We could have 3 more 50 point seasons (we won't, Jakes, relax), and they'd blame it on injuries or GMDMs rebuild failing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They think he walks on water. We could have 3 more 50 point seasons (we won't, Jakes, relax), and they'd blame it on injuries or GMDMs rebuild failing.

Or three 100 point seasons, and the players, mostly young ones, will get all the credit on this forum, but not the coach:)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Or three 100 point seasons, and the players, mostly young ones, will get all the credit on this forum, but not the coach:)

We could have another 50 point season and if he played the young guys and not have another off season where they sign vets that will just block the talented youth, I will be happy. I hated this last off season. Hopefully that was Maloney forcing the players onto Tippett but I have my doubts. Just say no to Tanguay, Tipchura, Gordon, Grossman and whatever Tippett Clones they might want to bring in. Just sign one or two HIGHLY TALENTED players like Yandle and I'll be happy. A bunch of Richardsons and worse and I'll be pissed again.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We could have another 50 point season and if he played the young guys and not have another off season where they sign vets that will just block the talented youth, I will be happy. I hated this last off season. Hopefully that was Maloney forcing the players onto Tippett but I have my doubts. Just say no to Tanguay, Tipchura, Gordon, Grossman and whatever Tippett Clones they might want to bring in. Just sign one or two HIGHLY TALENTED players like Yandle and I'll be happy. A bunch of Richardsons and worse and I'll be pissed again.

You can't just have young players, look at the Oilers. That's why they've been so bad. And a 50 point season would be horrible for young players to go through. It would hurt their confidence and possibly ruin them as a player.

A guy like Richardson is great, you need good vets for the bottom 6. And he was very effective in that role. I would expect one more bottom 6 player to be signed. The team also needs to add a player who wouldn't be out of place in the top 6. Tanguay would fit that role and would be cheap.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Disagree completely. There are enough vets already on the roster. Don't need to add more unless they are high end. They will of course and I'll be pissed but I'm used to it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He was NEVER going to take another job anyway. He's made it clear he'll never move.

If DT gets fired here I see him getting hired immediately. He won't retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad