Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Think they'd want someone that can be influenced and controlled. Chayka would fit the bill.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Would he be the youngest GM in history? Isn't he like 28?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think control is definitely part of it but maybe the even bigger part is Maloney is planning on collecting every scent they owe him and they can't afford to pay two GMs. Doesn't seem to really matter though. It's going to be a Tippett and ownership making the decisions.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We have a chance to put a very young, talented and exciting team on the ice next year. My biggest fear is they are going to either trade or Turris a bunch of the young talent in favor of more Tippett clones right when we were so close to having a team that might actually draw fans because they were fun to watch. I sure hope that's not the case.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not too worked up over who the eventual name is. Will wait for the first move.

It would be humorous if it was Chayka though because that would mean our media was scooped on both Maloney's firing and his replacements hiring.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nobody wants to step on this hornets nest apparently.

Well, if you watched someone that more or less did a good job and what was asked of them get fired, would you be eager to sign up for that? If the situation wasn't even that great? If you were a top candidate that can hold out for a much better post?

I think it's likely that everyone else turned them down.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Could be a great move. Could turn the Coyotes into the Oakland A's of the NHL.

Or he could be influenced to go and make some dumb trades in a desperate attempt to speed up the rebuild... If that is the case I don't think we'd have to wait long to figure it out.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well, if you watched someone that more or less did a good job and what was asked of them get fired, would you be eager to sign up for that? If the situation wasn't even that great? If you were a top candidate that can hold out for a much better post?

I think it's likely that everyone else turned them down.

Is being a GM of a NHL club a job you really turn down, regardless of circumstance?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is being a GM of a NHL club a job you really turn down, regardless of circumstance?

IA has to deal with this:
  • They don't have a ton of money to spend lavishly to lure a candidate
  • There's no established arena plan, you'd just have to take their word for it
  • They just fired a respected (by his peers) GM that was doing his job
  • They fired this GM because the coach effectively usurped the title

There may only be 30 seats at the table, but if you are a top candidate, you can afford to wait.

An analytics guy would probably be willing to take control, because you can really make a strong impact on the team... assuming you get your way. I really doubt someone as young and inexperienced as Chayka will be allowed much autonomy.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Other than Dubas who would've turned it down? And he's basically the GM in TOR so it wouldn't make sense to leave, once Lou retires the title will be his. Jackson was rumored from the start.

Leblanc said they were wanting more analytics so Chayka makes sense. I don't see why someone wouldn't want the job unless they are already the heir to a GM position. The team is in a good positon for someone to come in and take credit for their future success. And the issue with Maloney seemed to be communication..

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don't buy that GMDM was fired due to communication

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nobody is going to want a job playing second banana to Tippett. IA has married themselves to Tippett but nobody is going to want to be subordinate to the coach when the GM is supposed to be calling the shots.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And the issue with Maloney seemed to be communication..

Nobody buys that in professional circles, I bet. It's just one of many excuses given to justify the firing. If you break it down, what does that even mean? GMs expect to be captains of the ship, free from the whims of their coaches and mostly free from ownership. Maloney delivered exactly what was expected of him; a top prospect pool as a result of a rebuild. They fired him. Meddlesome owners will keep talent away. Owners with split factions? **** that.

It's just not appealing.

The NHL is still an old boys club. Everyone knows the real deal. Remember the shots taken at ownership by anonymous execs after the firing? "Enamored with Tippett" "Now they're going to do it the stupid way" etc...

They effectively poisoned the well by caving in.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It sounded like Tippett and Maloneys relationship was strained because of poor communication. I don't think Tippett was really in the wrong wanting influence on the roster. And if the ownership had to choose between Tipp or Maloney they made the right choice.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Poor communication sounds like an euphemism for disagreement to me

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
This would be stupid. I'd even take Jackson over Chayka.

Why? We know nothing of Chayka's credentials. The only thing that has ever really surfaced about Chayka's contributions to this team is that he was instrumental in the Brad Richardson signing due to analytics.

You never know. I trust someone who has worked a year under Maloney over someone who is stuck in the prehostoric times in the NHL. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->