Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We could have another 50 point season and if he played the young guys and not have another off season where they sign vets that will just block the talented youth, I will be happy. I hated this last off season. Hopefully that was Maloney forcing the players onto Tippett but I have my doubts. Just say no to Tanguay, Tipchura, Gordon, Grossman and whatever Tippett Clones they might want to bring in. Just sign one or two HIGHLY TALENTED players like Yandle and I'll be happy. A bunch of Richardsons and worse and I'll be pissed again.

You have to have a good mixture of kids and vets. Richardson was a solid pick up.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Disagree completely. There are enough vets already on the roster. Don't need to add more unless they are high end. They will of course and I'll be pissed but I'm used to it.

Who do you figure makes up the lineup next year then? So far this is all that we basically know will be there.

Duclair Hanzal Domi
Martinook Strome Rieder
Richardson Vermette Doan

We only got 4 vet fwds resigned going into next season.... And for 25% the season there would only be 3 with Hanzal getting hurt...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Who do you figure makes up the lineup next year then? So far this is all that we basically know will be there.

Duclair Hanzal Domi
Martinook Strome Rieder
Richardson Vermette Doan

We only got 4 vet fwds resigned going into next season.... And for 25% the season there would only be 3 with Hanzal getting hurt...

To properly utilize Hanzal we need two of him, hence Dvorak makes the team:laugh:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Domi Strome Duclair
Martinook Richardson Doan
Rieder Hanzal (TALENTED FA)
Dvorak Vermette (Camp Battle)
Enforcer/agitator/Camp Battle

OEL Murphy
Yandle Stone
Connauton Z
Dahlbeck

Make one impact signing at forward instead of adding 3 crap FAs like they usually do. You get someone that is actually talented and can help puck possession instead of be a Tippett clone black hole on offense and that will only help the young guys. You leave a couple spots for the youth to fight over and pencil in Strome and Dvorak with Dvorak sliding to the middle when Hanzal goes down.

Add Yandle on D and get a long look at the guy we got from Denver for Boeds in camp.

I have no hope they will do any of this. I expect more of the same and to actually take a step back in offensive talent this year. Hope to hell I'm wrong.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like that lineup except for Dvorak as the 4LW. Those 8 minutes a night will do nothing for his game, and I suspect he'd be ineffective on that sort of line anyway.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Here is a question...

Do you think we go after Boeds now that Maloney is gone ?

Tip must have liked him to keep putting him on the point in the PP

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Doubt it. The analytics of Boedker are still poor. We saw that when Tanguay came in (good analytics) and brought back Vermette from the dead.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Doubt it. The analytics of Boedker are still poor. We saw that when Tanguay came in (good analytics) and brought back Vermette from the dead.

Tip/Chayka might have their own analytics that say otherwise. But, Bods and his agent are looking for top dollar, and they won't find it in Arizona.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Domi-Hanzal-Duke <-- no brainer

Rieder-Strome-Doan <-- two solid vets that can score goals

^ that's what I want our top six to look like. It's a little murkier in the bottom six.

I want Tanguay back on a cheap deal. He and Vermette worked well. Let's see if we can squeeze just one more season out of them before kicking both to the curb. I want their RW to be a RHS that has the ability to put up >30pts and can play on the 1st PK unit. Candidates via trade would include JG Pageau, Jannik Hansen, Cal Clutterbuck, Jesper Fast and Blake Comeau, as examples. I'm sure I could find a few more names to fit the bill.

Nook and Richardson are the perfect pair for an excellent 4th line. Maybe Christian Fischer can surprise and steal that RW spot. Maybe a healthy Henrik Samuelsson steps up. Or maybe Tippett wants a veteran player there. Someone like Mike Brown or some other hard working PK, checking RW. Let's all pray to god it's not Dave Moss.

For 13th forward, it's going to be Chipchura. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Probably a three year deal, too. Davey takes good care of his pets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domi-Hanzal-Duke <-- no brainer

Rieder-Strome-Doan <-- two solid vets that can score goals

^ that's what I want our top six to look like. It's a little murkier in the bottom six.

I want Tanguay back on a cheap deal. He and Vermette worked well. Let's see if we can squeeze just one more season out of them before kicking both to the curb. I want their RW to be a RHS that has the ability to put up >30pts and can play on the 1st PK unit. Candidates via trade would include JG Pageau, Jannik Hansen, Cal Clutterbuck, Jesper Fast and Blake Comeau, as examples. I'm sure I could find a few more names to fit the bill.

Nook and Richardson are the perfect pair for an excellent 4th line. Maybe Christian Fischer can surprise and steal that RW spot. Maybe a healthy Henrik Samuelsson steps up. Or maybe Tippett wants a veteran player there. Someone like Mike Brown or some other hard working PK, checking RW. Let's all pray to god it's not Dave Moss.

For 13th forward, it's going to be Chipchura. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Probably a three year deal, too. Davey takes good care of his pets.

I always have like Tanguay, and while he is slower, he is so damn smart and rarely makes a mistake. A great mentor, like Doan, for the kids.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Here is a question...

Do you think we go after Boeds now that Maloney is gone ?

Tip must have liked him to keep putting him on the point in the PP

Tip put him on the point on the PP because he really had no other option. Considering that he and his agent are trying to extort a huge contract out of Colorado, we're best served staying away from him. I'd think Chayka's video analytics would prove that that is the right decision. There are other options out there and in the system.

I always have like Tanguay, and while he is slower, he is so damn smart and rarely makes a mistake. A great mentor, like Doan, for the kids.

I would not mind one more year of Tanguay. He might be done in a flashy, attacking system, but in Tip's conservative trap system his hockey sense and veteran presence would really benefit the team, especially if he's paired with young guys again.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I like that lineup except for Dvorak as the 4LW. Those 8 minutes a night will do nothing for his game, and I suspect he'd be ineffective on that sort of line anyway.

Line #s don't mean anything on a Tippett coached team. I just put the players together I'd like to see. Love Hanzal's game but I want to see what Domi and Duclair can do with a real offensive catalyst at center.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Line #s don't mean anything on a Tippett coached team. I just put the players together I'd like to see. Love Hanzal's game but I want to see what Domi and Duclair can do with a real offensive catalyst at center.

What those two sophomores would do with a rookie center is play 6mins 5v5 /gm

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What those two sophomores would do with a rookie center is play 6mins 5v5 /gm

I realize who the coach is. I said that's what I'd like to see. I know it has no chance of happening. We'll continue to play slow, boring hockey, the majority of which will be in our own end as usual.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What about Kyle Qunicey as a signing for the left side of the D? Not saying he is the best candidate, but that is the type of player that could be signed to a 1-3 year deal at reasonable dollars. Doubt he would wind up being a priority to draft in the expansion draft. Depending on what management decides with Dahlbeck, Quincey could line up as a 2nd pair or even 3rd pairing defender.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Scott Luce fired by the Florida Panthers. Was their Director of Player Personnel and, previously, Director of Amateur Scouting, responsible for guys like Ekblad, Huberdeau, Kulikov, Barkov, etc.

We're looking for both an "Experienced AGM" and a Director of Player Personnel, according to LeBlanc. Luce could be an interesting add in that regard.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Scott Luce fired by the Florida Panthers. Was their Director of Player Personnel and, previously, Director of Amateur Scouting, responsible for guys like Ekblad, Huberdeau, Kulikov, Barkov, etc.

We're looking for both an "Experienced AGM" and a Director of Player Personnel, according to LeBlanc. Luce could be an interesting add in that regard.

Why was he fired with a track record like the above?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure. Panthers are doing some sort of restructuring. Tallon got "promoted" to President and their former AGM is now the GM. I'm guessing Luce's firing is related to this restructuring.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Why was he fired with a track record like the above?

Well, to be fair, those were all pretty no brainer picks.

Ekblad- Duh. Number one overall pick, projected to be number 1 the entire year.

Barkov- Number 2 overall. Another "Duh" pick.

Huberdeau- Number 3 overall. See above.

The only pick he may have had to think about was Kulikov. But Kulikov ONLY fell to 14th overall because of the Russian factor. If his last name was Smith, he would've gone top 5-10.

BUT, that's not to say that this guy doesn't know what he's doing. He's just had an easy job due to an embarrassment of riches lately.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Panthers took a lot of heat for the Barkov pick. Drouin and Jones were the next two picks. Only really started to show its value this year.

But, also worth mentioning that Luce was with the Panthers for nearly 15 years so he also deserves some criticism for the team's lack of performance for basically the last decade up until this past season.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
But, also worth mentioning that Luce was with the Panthers for nearly 15 years so he also deserves some criticism for the team's lack of performance for basically the last decade up until this past season.

Yeah I don't really want a guy who took a decade to rebuild a team and relied that much on top 5 picks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka says don't overplay the Tippett connection factor in the search for the AGM.

Some speculation from Morgan (not rumors, but his own speculation):

- Tampa advisor Tom Kurvers (formerly Dir. of Player Personnel in Arizona)
- Pittsburgh AGM Bill Guerin (played for Tipp in Dallas)
- Pittsburgh AGM Jason Botterill (scout in Dallas)
- Nashville AGM Paul Fenton (Tipp teammate in Hartford)

The last two would be terrific additions. Botterill nearly got the Penguins GM job until Rutherford became available. And obviously Fenton has a nice track record in Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad